1997 DX hatch

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Burnout video!=) lol jk man pretty happy I was able to make a big impact on this build! Makes me even more happy knowing your finally driving this and you hung with this build! Lots of people would have lost hope and gave up! Props!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This car is looking good, but aren't you worried about your intake sucking water when it rains since it's pretty low? I think you should round off the corners on the radiator stay, but not the battery holder that one looks good all square.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That was a wonderful post man! Lots of really great work there. Now I assume you get to drive it to school? Or are you going to leave it at home?
Thanks man! Assuming all is well, I will be driving it to school on Friday.

Very clean civic. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

Burnout video!=) lol jk man pretty happy I was able to make a big impact on this build! Makes me even more happy knowing your finally driving this and you hung with this build! Lots of people would have lost hope and gave up! Props!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I'm glad you feel that way. It wouldn't have been possible without you!

This car is looking good, but aren't you worried about your intake sucking water when it rains since it's pretty low? I think you should round off the corners on the radiator stay, but not the battery holder that one looks good all square.
Thanks man! I am worried, but I think it will be ok. It is 8" off the ground at the lowest point. I do have the OEM ITR intake that I plan to install when I get the chance and I'll use that when the weather isn't going to be too nice. Thanks for the input on the rad/battery stays. I'll definitely be changing them up when I get the chance.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't worry about getting water in the intake there as long as you have it sealed off good. Had it there on the del Sol through lots of rain and some winter driving and it was just fine year round.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't worry about getting water in the intake there as long as you have it sealed off good. Had it there on the del Sol through lots of rain and some winter driving and it was just fine year round.
That inspires some confidence. Thanks for letting me know. I'll feel much better driving in rain now.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't worry either as long as you have your fender liners in. almost nothing gets in there if on correctly

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I need some help guys. I'm still having hunting idle issues. I've bled the cooling system twice now and I'm 99% sure there is no air trapped inside. The car gets up to proper temperature and will stay there even after extended running. The other three things that I have to check are vacuum leaks, IAC valve, and fuel pressure. Do you guys have any other tips or things to check? Also, how do you recommend checking for vacuum leaks?

The other issue I'm having is weird. It has only happened once and I haven't experienced it since. It feels like the clutch is slipping and will suddenly grab. It's hard to start without stalling and when I apply the throttle or let off, there is a violent jerk. I turned the car on and started driving and this problem was present right away. It continued until I shut the car off. I came back to the car, less than five minutes later to drive it and try to diagnose the issue and it was no longer present. I read in the Hayne's manual that a new clutch needs time to seat and may slip for the first 30-40 starts. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has advice towards a solution.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
clutches do require a break in, drive it for a little and let stuff settle out. your PCM may also need time to go through all of its drive cycles and get it all smoothed out

spray carb cleaner for vacuum leaks and if there is one the idle will change.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's something u spray on. For vacuum leak check. Look it up on YouTube. Or I will when I get a chance. I was going to check on mine but turned out it was a ground issue in my interior.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's something u spray on. For vacuum leak check. Look it up on YouTube. Or I will when I get a chance. I was going to check on mine but turned out it was a ground issue in my interior.
carb cleaner

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
clutches do require a break in, drive it for a little and let stuff settle out. your PCM may also need time to go through all of its drive cycles and get it all smoothed out

spray carb cleaner for vacuum leaks and if there is one the idle will change.
Ok that's good to hear. Hopefully all it needs is some mile put on it. Is a PCM the same thing as an ECU? Would resetting it help?

I was going to use carb cleaner, but I read that it could catch fire. I'll do it on a cool engine to be safe. I've been using water, buts its hard to tell if the idle changes because its not very consistent to begin with.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok that's good to hear. Hopefully all it needs is some mile put on it. Is a PCM the same thing as an ECU? Would resetting it help?

I was going to use carb cleaner, but I read that it could catch fire. I'll do it on a cool engine to be safe. I've been using water, buts its hard to tell if the idle changes because its not very consistent to begin with.
PCM and ECU are the same thing, its powertrain control module. do not reset it, or it has to learn it all again. and it wont help at all with the clutch deal. but if you have little hiccups here and there it may be the computer still learning and adjusting to your driving habits

you will be fine using carb cleaner, it will not catch on fire unless there is an open flame. it would only evaporate. carb cleaner and brake cleaner are used in garages to clean everything, including oil off of a hot manifold.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice man. I'll see if I can find any vacuum leaks in the morning.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well these past few days have been pretty crazy. I messed around with the idle adjustment screw and the throttle cable and that helped to fix the idle somewhat. It still fluctuates between 1000 and 1500 when first coming to a stop. After sitting for a minute or so, it will idle normally at about 750. I checked for vacuum leaks and could not find one. Right now, I am pretty happy with it (although I'd obviously like to make it 100%). It's tolerable for now until I get a chance to clean my IACV.

In preparation for the 300 mile journey to school today, I changed out the oil for some fresh Mobil 1.

I also installed this sweet M's Motorsports front strut bar courtesy of Sammy. Thanks again man!

Nothing like 5 hours at 4000 rpm...

About halfway through the journey, it started to rain very heavily. I could hardly see the car in front of me. I was going about 40 on the highway. The whole time, I was scared to death about my cold air intake, but all went well and I encountered no issues the whole way. Stayed at the perfect temperature and ran great. I even managed to get 37 mpg! Not bad at all.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was gonna ask what ya got for mileage. Glad to see its working out for you. Like I said. Don't worry about the intake too much. Unless your driving through standing water I wouldn't be worried at all.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Love it! The intake will be fine unless u go through a deep puddle

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im trying to fix my idle surge as well. cant find any vacuum leaks, swapped IACV to a known working one, I haven't tried to adjust my idle with the screw yet though