1997 DX hatch

JCwidow

Oh and if you dont have a girlfriend/wife, you're saving yourself tons of money right there also. lol.. i wonder where all my money went to.
maybe all your go to your girlfriend dude, dont worry everybody is broke in U.S =)
Nice car and good luck with the swap!:thumbs up
:like:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haha welcome to the United States! Eventually we all become broke ass mother fckers. But I love your build. You were very fortunate to have had a car that was taken care by someone you knew, in this case your pops. I've had 3 failed attempts with cars on CL and i plan to pick up a del sol on tuesday because I'm car-less at the moment but i'm hesitant because of my past mistakes. Keep at it dude, you're doing a good thing by working in a hospital kitchen. Don't worry after it stops raining bad drivers, good things will come your way.
Thanks again. I saw your thread for the Del Sol. Personally, I would look for a DC2, but then again I have seen some pretty sick Sols before. If that throttle thing isn't an issue, I say go for it and with time you could have an awesome car.

Oh and if you dont have a girlfriend/wife, you're saving yourself tons of money right there also. lol.. i wonder where all my money went to.
Haha I don't have that to worry about.

maybe all your go to your girlfriend dude, dont worry everybody is broke in U.S =)
Nice car and good luck with the swap!:thumbs up
:like:
Thanks man

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So here is the story of the engine...

My friend told me about a couple of swaps in the area, just in case I was interested. First I checked out a B16, but found out the seller was lying to me. He claimed it was OBD1, but after tons of hassle I finally got to see the engine. It was clearly OBD0, cable tranny and all. Plus it had been sitting in some shop for 9 months and there was no way to tell if it would start.

The following week, I started to talk to a guy with a JDM B16A which was in a running car. Last Saturday I drove there, saw the engine running, shifted through the gears, and checked it out. Everything worked great. He was selling it because he had just bought the Del Sol that it was in for $2800 and drove an hour back to his house. He waited for a few weeks and couldn't get the title from the seller so he decided to part out the car. I was able to talk him down on the price and said I would pick it up next weekend(yesterday).

The seller, four of his friends, my dad, and I somehow fit the engine into the back of my dad's Odyssey to bring it home.

We brought it home yesterday and my friend and his dad came over to help us unload it. His dad is even lending me an engine stand and hoist for as long as I need it.

What I know about the engine:
-OBD1 JDM B16A
-Y21 trans
-approximately 100,000 miles
-aftermarket cam gears
-runs great

The seller told me that he wouldn't be surprised if it had stuff done to the internals, but he hadn't opened it up, so he isn't sure. I am hopefully going to open it up later today to find out. I'm also going to change the timing belt, water pump, and check the clutch and pressure plate before I put it in the car. It is pretty dirty at the moment so I'm going to give it a good clean as well. Don't worry, I'll take plenty of pictures later today.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice nice. I miss my b16a

TheHatchGuy

5+ Year Member
Good stuff, I'm watching this build, you and Child are my favorite builds. Most realistic and build worthy. Both really show you the progress through the car and owners life.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Dnguyen92

Good stuff, I'm watching this build, you and Child are my favorite builds. Most realistic and build worthy. Both really show you the progress through the car and owners life.

:word:

Yeah I had mentioned in another post that Child, some eg guy have the cleanest builds on CC. After reading these posts, Reed easily made that list for me.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word:

Yeah I had mentioned in another post that Child, some eg guy have the cleanest builds on CC. After reading these posts, Reed easily made that list for me.

Thanks guys. Those are my favorite builds too, so I'm flattered.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I took the transmission off to get a better look at the clutch and to prepare for putting it on the engine stand.

Dirty, dirty

Haven't taken it apart yet, but judging be the worn pressure plate, I'm guessing the clutch has never been replaced.

I guess the harness that came with the motor was originally non-VTEC because that red wire goes to the VTEC solenoid.

The guy I bought it from was great, but I got kinda pissed because he was rushing to take the motor out (he just cut the whole front of the Sol off with a swazall haha) and took a huge chunk out of the valve cover. He also just cut some of the vacuum lines instead of removing them. I'm probably just going to cut off the whole cam cover until I can get a new valve cover. You can also see the VTEC wire haha.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you have emissions? obd1 in obd2?
I am going to use my existing harness and swap an OBD2 distributer, injectors, and alternator onto the engine. Then I'm going to run an OBD2a P30 from a 96-97 Del Sol VTEC. Also, if you drive less than 5000 miles per year then you are emissions exempt in PA and just have to pay for the sticker. I drove less than that this year so I probably will next year.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im from PA, and im exempt also lol

but i will double check that for you today in class, im pretty sure you cant run a obd1 motor and still get it to go through emissions, just because your exempt doesnt mean they dont check it

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely a nice build so far. Everything looks pretty good except one thing that bugs me.
You got the wrong front lip. :/
I hate those lips on the 96-98. But its your car and everything else is pretty legit.
I'm surprised i hadn't followed this build more. I like all the progress.

The only thing thats shady is the engine. Sounds to me like its hot. Who knows what the real story behind it is. Be careful with it.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im from PA, and im exempt also lol

but i will double check that for you today in class, im pretty sure you cant run a obd1 motor and still get it to go through emissions, just because your exempt doesnt mean they dont check it
Yeah let me know, then I'll have to find a way around that. From what my friend (who works at the local Honda dealer and is licensed to do inspections) said, I think it is legal. But I'm no expert

Definitely a nice build so far. Everything looks pretty good except one thing that bugs me.
You got the wrong front lip. :/
I hate those lips on the 96-98. But its your car and everything else is pretty legit.
I'm surprised i hadn't followed this build more. I like all the progress.

The only thing thats shady is the engine. Sounds to me like its hot. Who knows what the real story behind it is. Be careful with it.
Yeah I know, it's an eBay lip. I would rather spend my money on performance than appearance, but it bugs me too. I'll have it sorted out someday. I'm not too worried about the engine. The guy I bought it from is trustworthy and I have bought parts from him in the past, so I know he didn't steal it. Who knows though, the guy he bought the Del Sol from could have stolen it...

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah let me know, then I'll have to find a way around that. From what my friend (who works at the local Honda dealer and is licensed to do inspections) said, I think it is legal. But I'm no expert

Yeah I know, it's an eBay lip. I would rather spend my money on performance than appearance, but it bugs me too. I have it sorted out someday. I'm not too worried about the engine. The guy I bought it from is trustworthy and I have bought parts from him in the past, so I know he didn't steal it. Who knows though, the guy he bought the Del Sol from could have stolen it...
Yeah thats true. Hope everything is good on your part and nothing ever comes from it. Its a fun little engine.
I like all the updates. Keep 'em coming.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Little update. I took the clutch and flywheel off and I'm glad I did. The clutch disc was so worn, that the metal rivets used to hold the ceramic material on were sticking out above the ceramic and had worn grooves in the flywheel and pressure plate. Needless to say, I'll be replacing them. Also, noob question, but I have an engine stand I was wondering if I could put the whole engine on it. Basically everything except the transmission and exhaust. I know the stand can hold the weight, but I'm worried about the threads for the bolts that attach the transmission. Is it bad to have all the engine's weight on four of those holes for more than a month or so? I have never used one before and don't want to mess anything up.

JCwidow

Little update. I took the clutch and flywheel off and I'm glad I did. The clutch disc was so worn, that the metal rivets used to hold the ceramic material on were sticking out above the ceramic and had worn grooves in the flywheel and pressure plate. Needless to say, I'll be replacing them. Also, noob question, but I have an engine stand I was wondering if I could put the whole engine on it. Basically everything except the transmission and exhaust. I know the stand can hold the weight, but I'm worried about the threads for the bolts that attach the transmission. Is it bad to have all the engine's weight on four of those holes for more than a month or so? I have never used one before and don't want to mess anything up.
Yes, you can out the engine in the stand but to be sure the stand can support more than 1000 pounds...

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have some updates but flickr is being retarded and I can't log into my account. I guess you guys will just have to wait haha...