1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe, from done with to done up!

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I did a leak down test and a compression test on the car......... Didn't come back very good... I was recommended to get a new engine or stop modifying the current one and baby it...

Yeah, so I'm looking for a new engine but I'm not going to go DOHC Vtec. Either the LS or D16Y8 turboed. What is the most reliable shop to order an engine through. I'm going to be getting the LSD as well... Does anyone know where to find a strong set of axles too?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmotorsonline.com

do a k swap or an h2b.
y no dohc vtec?
jut get an ls and turbo it..

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmotorsonline.com

do a k swap or an h2b.
y no dohc vtec?
jut get an ls and turbo it..
I had a friend that had a modest setup on his 95 hatch with an LS Turbo and it was plenty fast. I'm not a fan of DOHC VTEC as I had too many problems with my H22 in my Prelude when I did certain mods, which is why I swapped for a H23 DOHC non-Vtec with high compression this and low stroke that and bored here and honed there... It was much faster, much more reliable and a lot less head aches...

Anyways, I think I'll be heading the LS with a 20G direction.... Wish me luck on my search for the LSD tranny and a reliable, low mileage engine!

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the exhaust fixed... No more low hanging exhaust... 2 hangers had to be bent and a 1-1/2" extension piece inserted! DAMN IT!

(I hate these taillights.... They will be off the car as of tonight!)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did u get the link to the rims?
i am not a fan of vtec on anything but the k series. it is well pointless imo.
but i dont understand y vtec would cause u problems?

emanuera

5+ Year Member
LS turbo is the way to go man :thumbup:
Reliability and easy power gains. What are your HP goals?
Remember these arent 4G63's so cylinder strength isnt the greatest but with a good tune and a conservative boost, the LS turbo setup should last you a lifetime.
Any B series gearbox will mate to any B series engine so there are a lot of options with the B series motor/trans combinations, B16 trannys have closer gear ratios compared to the LS trans but aren't suitable for high HP turbo applications. Anyway compatibility is what i'm trying to say, decide on your power goals and then choose the parts that best suit your goals.
Keep us updated!

s2l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have the HID bulb in the turn signal?

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My horsepower goal is to be sitting right around 235-250. I'm not going outrageous. This will be my daily driver for a little while and I plan on having a very reliable car. For this reason, I'm looking at the LS/Turbo combination.

The tail lights are quite INSANE, which is why I want to get rid of them. Again, they came free with the headlights!

There is a just a regular bulb in the corner lens. There is a hole in my camera lens causing a haze. My dog chewed on my camera and I need to get a new one yet. Just haven't taken the time to do so.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I'm looking at LS engines that will come with an LSD tranny, axles, wiring harness and ECU. I'm wondering how hard the wiring is to hook up to my stock configuration or if someone makes an adapter kit? I already found the motor mounts kits... The engine is coming from either a 2000 or 20001 Integra. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
20001 integra?
holy s**t , i gotta get me one of those :p
my bad - I'm not fully edumicated on the teggy's years of engines and models... ;)

I'm actually going to be running with the LS OBD2A after finding some information from useful individuals.

I won't be using an LS tranny. I'm looking for either the ITR or CTR w/ LSD or will order an aftermarket LSD.

Any other quotes or questions or concerns, just let me know. Thanks for the information pertaining to corrections rather than progress. It's always appreciated when I'm trying to get something done.

:hitlol: :hitlol: :hitlol: :hitlol:

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I thought you "grew out" of the ricer scene due to Altezzas and fart cannons?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so I'm looking at LS engines that will come with an LSD tranny, axles, wiring harness and ECU. I'm wondering how hard the wiring is to hook up to my stock configuration or if someone makes an adapter kit? I already found the motor mounts kits... The engine is coming from either a 2000 or 20001 Integra. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
wiring should be....unplug everything....plug everything back in on the new motor.
what problems did you have with the vtec motor? couldn't get vtec to work or something

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I thought you "grew out" of the ricer scene due to Altezzas and fart cannons?
yeah, my civic has a full exhaust rather than a welded on "fart cannon" and the altezza's were on my car for approximately 2 days as they came free with the new headlights (no the reason I bought the headlights)

I'm really liking how insultive a lot of people can be on here. Destroy, Thanks for your opinions and advice but the hate can go. I guess haters make the world go 'round, right? Have a nice day! ;)

wiring should be....unplug everything....plug everything back in on the new motor.
what problems did you have with the vtec motor? couldn't get vtec to work or something
Well, the prelude had to have a new wiring harness when I went from H23A1 to DOHC Vtec H23 as well as the H23 w/ H22 head. It was a huge pain once I tried to do extensive internals and a supercharger. I wasn't sure if the civics were such a headache. Thanks for the info CHILD.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, I'm expressing my comments from my point of view. I have simple questions, I want simple answers. You are getting offended because I may be right or I exposed your ignorance.

I also don't buy your story, since you joined it seems like you are trying a bit too hard to gain acceptance. Just relax dude, people here will treat you the same whoever you are and whatever you drive, whether it be slow or fast.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
People are entitled to their opinions but insults are completely disrespectful, whether you know me or not. I'm not trying to fit in. I've been asking questions about how to get this car to where I want it. Unfortunately, some questions I ask, or comments I make, bring up this conversation. Please keep your random "haterade" comments to yourself. Thanks.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would lower it before you do anything else. Swap and 5-lug is an exception.