1999 civic si: how to get 200 hp?

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Quickest way to breaking the 200 mark without boost is a block swap. You need a bigger bottom end. Either a b18 or b20 short block with some mild upgrade work to the hardware, like bearings and rod bolts. After that, intake, headers, exhaust, and tune should get you at/near 200. If you change out pistons and rods for higher compression you can guarantee 200

Or go the badass route, and boost the b16. 200 is easy-peasy with boost. You'll start shooting for 300 real quick.
What's the difference between b20 long block and short block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alec95

i dont really have a budget, just dont want to go over board.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What's the difference between b20 long block and short block?

Short block is just the block, no head or tranny. Long block includes the head. B16 head is better than b18/ls head and b20 head

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Short block is just the block, no head or tranny. Long block includes the head. B16 head is better than b18/ls head and b20 head
Ooh ok. Yeah I'm looking at the whole engine probably without tranny for $650 picked up I believe. Then I can sell the head. I'm thinking about throwing on a GSR head though instead of the b16a2. Any gains from GSR as opposed to b16a2 head? Sorry to thread jack just curious.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
Ooh ok. Yeah I'm looking at the whole engine probably without tranny for $650 picked up I believe. Then I can sell the head. I'm thinking about throwing on a GSR head though instead of the b16a2. Any gains from GSR as opposed to b16a2 head? Sorry to thread jack just curious.

THREAD JACKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i wouldnt do anything to it, its a unmolested si, leave it that way

HonDaReal

If ur gonna boost dont use cheap ebay s**t. 200 isnt hard for a na motor to hit. In my opinion if u gotta ask how to hit 200hp boost may be a little much for u to maintain. N/a will be much easier to maintain and more reliable. Good bolt ons. Cams and piston set ups will get ur goal and can be kept lowkey from cops.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

It's been dyno proven that the b16 head will make more power than the GSR head for high compression N/A builds, all other things being equal. It flows air better.
i wouldnt do anything to it, its a unmolested si, leave it that way
How many times have we told this to virgin Si owners, and how many times has it worked? :lol:

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's been dyno proven that the b16 head will make more power than the GSR head for high compression N/A builds, all other things being equal. It flows air better.

How many times have we told this to virgin Si owners, and how many times has it worked? :lol:
Good to know! And it didn't work on me lol :P

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm still wanting to hear what OP has to say about his plans, budget, etc.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
While I do enjoy the idea of boost, I also would absolutely love a high rev'ing N/A motor. B20VTEC would make for an awesome fun DD. Once you boost, you're going to want more and more and it can get pretty pricey to start building it.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
honestly, once you hit about 300whp you're hitting the limits of usable cornering power in real world situations and tighter low speed tracks (<90mph straights between corners). in autoX the extra power is pracitcally useless due to turbo lag anyway.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
While I do enjoy the idea of boost, I also would absolutely love a high rev'ing N/A motor. B20VTEC would make for an awesome fun DD. Once you boost, you're going to want more and more and it can get pretty pricey to start building it.
That's what I plan to do, NA B20V :D

But yeah, waiting for OP plans as well.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
honestly, once you hit about 300whp you're hitting the limits of usable cornering power in real world situations and tighter low speed tracks (<90mph straights between corners). in autoX the extra power is pracitcally useless due to turbo lag anyway.
This is truth. 300hp turbo setup on FWD civic is sloppy for auto-x. Stick with N/A
That's what I plan to do, NA B20V :D

But yeah, waiting for OP plans as well.
crvtec is a really fun motor. Just don't do what I did, and slap a bone stock b20z block to a b16 head and expect it to last. It will need some mild-moderate hardware upgrades to guarantee some reliability.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
crvtec is a really fun motor. Just don't do what I did, and slap a bone stock b20z block to a b16 head and expect it to last. It will need some mild-moderate hardware upgrades to guarantee some reliability.
why do people always underestimate the necessity for supporting mods?