1999 Honda Civic DX metallic sound

JDQ_121

Hi,I am new to these forums,and I seem to have a problem,my Civic is a DX 4dr,with a D16Y7 engine,unfortunately,its a auto.I got the car a year ago,it had been sitting in my parents yard for a year,and ever since I started driving it,it has made this metallic sound on acceleration,it sounds like something metallic is rapping up against something,its gotten louder these past few months,it doesn't make the sound when idling,or when the RPMs get high,when you really push the engine it doesn't seem to make the noise.only when lightly accelerating.Could someone please help?

RonJ

Banned
Check the exhaust heat shields. They may be loose or cracked.

JDQ_121

I know this is going to sounds stupid,but where are the shields located? the shield over the header is tight.

RonJ

Banned
The heat shield encasing exhaust pipe A is where I had a noise problem. Mine was cracked near one of the bolts.

JDQ_121

okay thanks man,im gonna go check it out,I'll report back if its the problem!

the sheild doesn't seem to be loose,but the top of the shield is all sprawled out and bent.

JDQ_121

it does seem to vibrate,but only while its Idleing,I never really notice any vibrations while im driving,but I have noticed when I take off at a pretty good speed,the engine seems to "jump" a little.I checked the mounts,and there is no cracks or any significant sign of damage to the bushings...what could it be?

JDQ_121

the shield doesn't seem to be loose,but the top of the shield is all sprawled out and bent.I tried moving it around but i doesn't move,the top of the shield is bent and seems to be very close to the bottom of the transmission,could it be banging against it?

RonJ

Banned
the shield doesn't seem to be loose,but the top of the shield is all sprawled out and bent.I tried moving it around but i doesn't move,the top of the shield is bent and seems to be very close to the bottom of the transmission,could it be banging against it?
Completely remove the heat shield to see whether the noise goes way.

Ron...

5+ Year Member
The part labeled exaust pipe A has a heat shield around it too, that's where my noise was coming from on my y7. Check that.

JDQ_121

I got up under the car and looked the Shield under Pipe A,theres no cracks,the bolts are all fine,its a little rusted,but thats all.is there any thing else that could be the cause of the noise?

JDQ_121

well,I'll post my findings tomorrow,I got alot to do tonight,haha
thanks for all the suggestions guys!

tonyclifton

I thought I heard a rattling sound in my 95 civic and got worried... I figured out it was just the license plates rattling against the bumpers. I tightened them up and never heard anything again.cheap and easy repair lol.
sounds and vibrations can come from anywhere and can be hard to pinpoint.

JDQ_121

sorry guys,Ive been really busy lately...I have noticed that my car only makes the sound as it gets hotter,by the time it gets to the normal operating temp,its rattling like crazy,but when I first start driving,it doesn't rattle until it gets hot.

zboyracer

5+ Year Member
Did you do what RonJ asked, and completely remove the heat shield? I would try that before coming back and telling everyone that you are still having problems.

JDQ_121

no,I apolgize I didn't do that yet,because I don't have some jackstands,I'm going to get them today,I just wanted to add that little bit of info,didn't mean to act as if I was complaining.

JDQ_121

okay guys,that Shield's bolts are rusted badly! I used liquid wrench and that didnt even help! any suggestions on how to get it the bolts off?