2006 Civic - Cracked Engine Block

webserv

5+ Year Member
I have a high mileage Civic EX (112k) that with a cracked block.
Sunday I smelled coolant and checked it out to find a puddle under the car.
The next day I took it to the dealer service department and they said it was an "O" ring in the coolant pipe, no mention of a cracked block, how could they miss that ? I drove off after 400 dollars departed my bank only to have the engine light come on immediately. I took it back to the dealer and they reexamined and found that the block was cracked.
Here is the history: 112k mostly highway miles in the last 2.5 years (11/05 purchased) all maintenance on time and at same dealer.

I hear rumors of a casting problem with these engine blocks anyone know anything. This could be big problem.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds shitty, will this be covered under warranty for you?

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats some serious mileage.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude you probably spent like $10,000 in gas in the last 2.5 years, that sucks...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds shitty, will this be covered under warranty for you?
shouldn't be with the kind of milage on the motor, 112k is way past the the 5/60 warranty on the powertrane.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You may be f**ked dude. Better check with your local Honda service dept and have a little chat with them about your Warranty.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You may be f**ked dude. Better check with your local Honda service dept and have a little chat with them about your Warranty.
he has 112k miles, what warranty!

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well if it has full service history Honda should step up to the plate and help him out.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're right. I forgot the 5 year 60,000 mile whatever comes 1st warranty. You're SOL dude.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If it is an issue, they should recall it. My dad had an issue with his '99 Solara burning through like a quart of oil every 2 weeks :what:. After they tried fixiing it 2 times, they just replaced the block.
Unfortunately most 8th gen Civic's dont have that high mileage on them, so they probably havent been recalled yet. Good luck bro.

Agalychnis

5+ Year Member
I have a high mileage Civic EX (112k) that with a cracked block.
Sunday I smelled coolant and checked it out to find a puddle under the car.
The next day I took it to the dealer service department and they said it was an "O" ring in the coolant pipe, no mention of a cracked block, how could they miss that ? I drove off after 400 dollars departed my bank only to have the engine light come on immediately. I took it back to the dealer and they reexamined and found that the block was cracked.
Here is the history: 112k mostly highway miles in the last 2.5 years (11/05 purchased) all maintenance on time and at same dealer.

I hear rumors of a casting problem with these engine blocks anyone know anything. This could be big problem.
You are NOT F'd. I have a 06 Civic EX. I have 80k on the clock. I discovered this problem with my car as well this past week. As we are high mileage drivers we are probably the first to encounter this issue first.

After getting mine serviced with a tranny fluid change and oil change on 5/6/08 I discovered a coolant burning smell coming from under my hood on 5/8/08. I noticed blue fluid leaking from somewhere but couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

I knew it was between the radiator and the front side of the engine block. I couldn't really pinpoint where it was at first. I immediately got paranoid because i knew the smell of burning coolant as I've had problems before when i had a 94 Rx7. I then bought antifreeze from walmart to fill up from the radiator but it seemed full. and the reserve tank was empty. I didn't fill the reserve. I kind of shrugged it off maybe thinking it was a fluke like the service guys accidentally spilled some coolant or some fluid on my engine when it got serviced.

but then I parked inside my garage yesterday and pulled out about 15 mins later and discovered a blue fluid on my garage floor. I smelled it and couldnt really smell the sweet smell of coolant. It also felt oily. I thought it was transmission fliud and maybe the service guys didnt cap off my tranny after filling it up, but I soon discovered that tranny fluid is red for our civic.

I called my dealership service manager up and left a voice mail this morning that I was concerned about what happened to my car and with the prior service I had. I thought maybe it was a mistake they made and such.

I showed up at my dealerships service dept. and showed them my receipt and my problem I discovered over the past few days. The service manager soon arrived, introduced himself and personally lifted the car and took a look at it. He immediately pulled me into the garage and showed me it was probably a hose leak.

After doing a pressure test on the coolant system they discovered a hairline fracture on the front side of the engine block. Just to the right of the exhaust manifold.

He told me it was a manufacture defect when Honda molded the casing and they will replace it at American Honda's cost.

I love my dealership.

So as we high mileage drivers are the first to encounter this I'm sure more are to follow in the next years coming up. PM me.

desigyrl08

5+ Year Member
hello

i have an 06 civic with about 37k miles on it. 3 days ago, we found coolant leaking. my hubby took it to our local honda dealer and they told him about the engine block crack. they said the warranty will be extended till 50k and they'll fix it free of charge. we however have decided that b4 it gets to 50k, we'll trade it in. they took the whole engine apart in order to correct the problem, it takes about 3 days. who knows what if something else might goes wrong.
go back to ur local dealer. that problem is a manufacter's (sp) defect. regardless of how many miles u have, that problem was created when they casted the engine block in the factory.
good luck. =)

Agalychnis

5+ Year Member
i have an 06 civic with about 37k miles on it. 3 days ago, we found coolant leaking. my hubby took it to our local honda dealer and they told him about the engine block crack. they said the warranty will be extended till 50k and they'll fix it free of charge. we however have decided that b4 it gets to 50k, we'll trade it in. they took the whole engine apart in order to correct the problem, it takes about 3 days. who knows what if something else might goes wrong.
go back to ur local dealer. that problem is a manufacter's (sp) defect. regardless of how many miles u have, that problem was created when they casted the engine block in the factory.
good luck. =)
DId they replace the engine casing? Or did they replace the whole engine block?

Apparently my dealership is trying to replace the whole engine block, (Whole new rotating assembly). Apparently it is not cost effective to split the casing and swap the internals with a new casing.

Thats what they told me anyway.

desigyrl08

5+ Year Member
DId they replace the engine casing? Or did they replace the whole engine block?

Apparently my dealership is trying to replace the whole engine block, (Whole new rotating assembly). Apparently it is not cost effective to split the casing and swap the internals with a new casing.

Thats what they told me anyway.
we got it back today and they said they only replaced the engine block. i'm not sure what the dofference is between the casing and the engine block.
they told us, they're not guaranteeing that this won't happen again. for us if it happens after 50k. we will be responsible for the bill.
-desigyrl

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So im wondering if it's just the 06's or they fixed it for 07 and on?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats why Id never buy a brand new model. That way the manufacturer can fix any defects. Dosent sound like something Honda would do tho.....

JuanitaZ

5+ Year Member
My 2006

Wow!
I purchased my 2006 in August of that year. I have 34K on it.
Two months ago, my heat was not working. I took it into the dealership and they said the coolant was very low. They couldn't find the problem. My warranty was about to expire. How convenient that they couldn't find anything! This really upsets me. Yesterday I had an oil change, which I keep up the maintenance on religiously. My oil was full of gunk. My brother told me it's a cracked engine block. I will be taking it in this morning.
I think a class action recall should be under investigation after reading this thread. I will be contacting whoever I have to , to get this started.

Thankfully, I purchased the extended warranty.

Agalychnis

5+ Year Member
Wow!
I purchased my 2006 in August of that year. I have 34K on it.
Two months ago, my heat was not working. I took it into the dealership and they said the coolant was very low. They couldn't find the problem. My warranty was about to expire. How convenient that they couldn't find anything! This really upsets me. They know what's going on. Yesterday I had an oil change, which I keep up the maintenance on religiously. My oil was full of gunk. My brother told me it's a cracked engine block. I will be taking it in this morning.
I think a class action recall should be under investigation after reading this thread. I will be contacting whoever I have to , to get this started.
Thankfully, I purchased the extended warranty.
I just got my car back today. All is well thankfully. My dealership added another 12k warranty on the labor and engine block all at American Honda's expense.

The engine block they said was porous and thats why it started to leak antifreeze right behind the exhaust manifold.

So now I have practically a whole new engine except the head portion, and all fluids replaced including the freon in the AC.

My car actually seems to be more responsive now while before it seemed a little sluggish.

Your dealership service manager should be contacted. You should tell him about your problem to see who he can contact because I'm sure American Honda is aware of the situation. Be nice and concerned or otherwise you may just make someone mad and they won't want to help you.

Since they replaced mine at 80k with absolutely no warranty they should replace yours at 34k. Good luck