2006 Civic - Cracked Engine Block

desigyrl08

5+ Year Member
I just got my car back today. All is well thankfully. My dealership added another 12k warranty on the labor and engine block all at American Honda's expense.

The engine block they said was porous and thats why it started to leak antifreeze right behind the exhaust manifold.

So now I have practically a whole new engine except the head portion, and all fluids replaced including the freon in the AC.

My car actually seems to be more responsive now while before it seemed a little sluggish.

Your dealership service manager should be contacted. You should tell him about your problem to see who he can contact because I'm sure American Honda is aware of the situation. Be nice and concerned or otherwise you may just make someone mad and they won't want to help you.

Since they replaced mine at 80k with absolutely no warranty they should replace yours at 34k. Good luck
i've notice the differece in driving my car too. it seems to have more power and gas mileage has also improved.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I just got my car back today. All is well thankfully. My dealership added another 12k warranty on the labor and engine block all at American Honda's expense.

The engine block they said was porous and thats why it started to leak antifreeze right behind the exhaust manifold.

So now I have practically a whole new engine except the head portion, and all fluids replaced including the freon in the AC.

My car actually seems to be more responsive now while before it seemed a little sluggish.

Your dealership service manager should be contacted. You should tell him about your problem to see who he can contact because I'm sure American Honda is aware of the situation. Be nice and concerned or otherwise you may just make someone mad and they won't want to help you.

Since they replaced mine at 80k with absolutely no warranty they should replace yours at 34k. Good luck
actually it's not tha they were just being nice and giving you a 12k warranty, it's a parts warranty really meaning your new block is warrantied for 12 months or 12k miles, whichever occurs first, this applies to to all honda parts, so if you walk in and buy a gas cap, and you fail a e-test within the 12/ 12 warranty then you can get the part replaced for free as a parts warranty as long as you have the origional receipt, aslong as it's teh cap and it failed for not properly sealing, this works well with wiper insert aswell, lol.

JJN

5+ Year Member
cracked block 2007 ex

Same story, I got 54k on my 07. I noticed that coolant was pouring out from the engine. Assumed it was some kind of minor issue (ie hoseclamp/cracked rubber) but instead found that the engine had completely failed at the seam. I was informed the block is two casts which are joined together (I always wondered how the hell they cast something so complicated). Fortuneately this 5k repair is still under waranty, barely.

I am thinking we are at the tip of the iceberg here. Hmm.. I came out ahead as honda will be buying a brand new engine for my car, but I cant help but to think that a few more months and I would have been out of pocket for one third the value of my car! I paid premium for honda versus the competition because of reliability in general, but mostly out of pride that I was purchasing a vehicle from the #1 manufacturer of internal combustion engines in the world. Guess I learned a lesson.
Anyone want to buy a used 07 civic with a brand new engine?

Agalychnis

5+ Year Member
Same story, I got 54k on my 07. I noticed that coolant was pouring out from the engine. Assumed it was some kind of minor issue (ie hoseclamp/cracked rubber) but instead found that the engine had completely failed at the seam. I was informed the block is two casts which are joined together (I always wondered how the hell they cast something so complicated). Fortuneately this 5k repair is still under waranty, barely.

I am thinking we are at the tip of the iceberg here. Hmm.. I came out ahead as honda will be buying a brand new engine for my car, but I cant help but to think that a few more months and I would have been out of pocket for one third the value of my car! I paid premium for honda versus the competition because of reliability in general, but mostly out of pride that I was purchasing a vehicle from the #1 manufacturer of internal combustion engines in the world. Guess I learned a lesson.
Anyone want to buy a used 07 civic with a brand new engine?

Wow an 07??? I didn't think that would happen to that year. You are right about buying reliability. Thats exactly why I bought mine too. I've had Honda's all my life and never had anything like this happen. I see a major lawsuit brewing here. If this happens again on my new engine I will surely look into filing a lawsuit. That is if Honda doesn't comply with lemon laws in my state.

SJK

5+ Year Member
Wow an 07??? I didn't think that would happen to that year. You are right about buying reliability. Thats exactly why I bought mine too. I've had Honda's all my life and never had anything like this happen. I see a major lawsuit brewing here. If this happens again on my new engine I will surely look into filing a lawsuit. That is if Honda doesn't comply with lemon laws in my state.
Ya, same here. I've got an 07 ex also. I only have 12,000 mi on it, but Im pretty pissed that the R series isn't working out in the high mileage area. I was planning on running the car into the ground (becasue its a honda) but, I might have to reconsider before I get a cracked engine block. Maybe, they have enough people complain about the engine blocks that they'll have a recall on them.

OhSixBlackCivic

5+ Year Member
2006 Honda Civic Engine Block Cracks around 58k miles

My 2006 Honda Civic engine block cracked yesterday. The car has been driven 58,000 miles. The car was well maintained. The crack is in front of the engine under the exhaust manifold. The dealer is charging me $600 total to repair. I did not get an extended warranty. I will hold onto my receipts for reimbursement when Honda issues a recall.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Aren't theses motors built and made in the US? the R series of course.

webserv

5+ Year Member
Hi I'm back!
My bad on this forum I thought I would recieve notification by email when posts were added.

FYI - there is a brand new service bulletin on this problem issued. I cant find the details online but it is 08-044
I had my engine replaced with a low mileage used one, at my expense. Bought it from a used parts dealer and took it to a local shop.
I bought an extended service plan and it is supposed to be cover to 125k. I drive continually so it seemed like a good idea, but Ultimate went belly up and I was NOT notified of that. So I have to fight for reimbursement also.
I'm in the process of dealing with the warranty "receivership" to get my repair paid for, but now it seems that I will have to have the low mileage engine I just put in replaced with a new one too, we'll see about that when the block cracks.

BTW - how do you turn on notification, nevermind I'll read the faq's

Jeff

Last edited:

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
damn that f**king blows man, but atleast you're getting a new motor, that's not gonna fail.

webserv

5+ Year Member
To Kaotic_Zeus

I dont know how you figured that. I paid a little over 2k to install a USED motor that may have the same problem in the future. The dealer says that the engine I installed wont be covered either.
Even if there is a recall the only recourse I have to get reimbursed is with the bankrupt warranty company which has authorized my claim but has no money to pay me. I'm out two grand unless they pay.
At least I got 112k miles out of the car and may get the same with the used engine, I hope.
My confidence is shaken with Honda I hope they resolve the issue in the new models.

Last edited:

CivicPhoto

5+ Year Member
Cracked Engine Block

I have a 2006 Honda Civic with 84000 miles.

Yesterday, I started smelling engine coolant. I brought the car to my local mechanic thinking it was probably a hose or something.

Well, he pressure tested it and said the engine block was cracked, same thing, front.

I went to see the dealer, he said that it was not covered under warrenty.

NOW what do I do?

The repair is over $4000

Really Bad News HONDA!

webserv

5+ Year Member
Dont take no for an answer yet, refer to Service Bulletin 08-044 when you talk to the service department.
If you have mileage under the warranty limit they should fix it free

dcIdaho

5+ Year Member
Honda 2006 Civic engine block cracked

I just purchased a 2006 Honda Civic LX end of June, 2008. and yesterday I had to have AAA tow it to dealership, they phoned me today to tell me the engine block was cracked. Good news was they are replacing it under warranty. My dip stick also melted and they need to replace that. Has anyone heard anymore regarding the possible casting problem they had for this model and year?

CivicPhoto

5+ Year Member
Well, the dealer called and said that YES the engine block is cracked and I have to pay $900 (plus tax - or about $970 total) of the $3800 total cost of the repair, Honda will pay the rest. They say its goodwill.

The question I have is this, IF as it seems, Honda has a bad batch of engine blocks that were either designed or manufactured poorly, WHY should any Honda Civic owner have to pay anything for Honda's mistake?

If there was a design problem, or a manufacturing problem that causes a catrostrophic failure (the engine block cracking is just that) SHOULDN'T HONDA recall them, or at least, repair them at their cost?

Maybe I'm just not grateful, but, I think this is just WRONG. I work for one of the largest news gathering organizations in America. We have several auto writers. Perhaps one of the auto writers need to be told about what's going on at Honda.
Perhaps one of the auto writers needs to call Honda and find out.
Maybe there needs to be a story on the national news about this, so that more Honda Civic owners can come foward. I'll bet a story and a class action law suit isn't too far away if Honda doesn't step up to the plate, admit to the people who have had a problem that it's Honda's fault and just FIX the CARS.

I bought a Honda Civic because my job as a journalist causes me to drive over 30K miles a year. I wanted a dependable car, and I expected that Honda would be just that. I'm very disapointed in Honda and I think people who are considering buying one of the best selling cars in America have the right to know what is going on.

I really want to know how wide spread this problem is, and what Honda is doing to make it right.

lcwilsonjr

5+ Year Member
2006 Civic Coupe/Cracked Engine/Magnetic Coils BIG PROBLEM

Greetings!

I've been reading this blog for a couple of weeks now and have noticed it grow with many 06 and 07 Civic owners. I can identify with most of these entries.

Sorry to say, but my 2006 Civic Coupe with 33,000 miles on it joins the ranks of this blog! Get this, I've been towed three times in the last three weeks! Story follows:

On Sat, July 5, while driving home from Ventura to Palm Springs, lost all power while on the I10 freeway. AAA towed me late Sat PM 40 miles to dealer (Honda of the Desert of Cathedral City is great!). Tow truck driver said my dipstick melted in the engine. Left my car at the dealer over weekend. I thought it was an oll leak, turned out to be something much worse!

On Monday, July 7 service dept at dealer said it was a cracked engine block and it would need to be replaced (THANK GOD MY CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTEE!) It took 10 days to replace (they gave me a loaner), and I rx'd my car on Tues, July 15 with new engine.

Drove my car to Phoenix on Thurs, July 17 when, in the middle of rush hour traffic, and in the left hand lane, my car lost almost all power! Managed to fight my way off to a sidestreet in a shady neighborhood with engine sputtering and parked at a convience store (two locals wanted to know if I wanted to buy any drugs!). Two and a half hours later, AAA towed me to local dealer in Chandler, AZ (Santan Honda was great too, but.....!).

On Sat, July 18 they replaced one of the four magnetic coils that fire the spark plugs (I was under the impression that one magnetic coil fired all four plugs, WRONG! There is one coil for each plug! I think that they should have replaced all four coils and knowing what I know now, I would have demanded it). I asked dealer if my orignal engine overheating could have had anything to do with the coil malfunctioning. He said that he's replaced these kind of coils before, but because the engine was hot enough to melt the dipstick, it could have contributed to their failure. Car drove fine for ten days when.....

On Weds, July 30, after leaving work, my car began sputtering and lost almost all power again. I needed, yet again, to be towed to the dealer.

Today, Friday, Aug 1, I rx'd my car back from the dealer. They replaced all four magnetic coils. Car seems to be driving fine at this time, however........

I have lost all confidence in my car and, for example, would never loan my car to somebody I know or love. I feel I could be putting them in danger if the car broke down on either the freeway or in a bad neighborhood. Sad to say, but I've placed the Honda dealer and AAA into the speed dial on my cell phone! Who would ever think of having to do that?

Based on my experiences, I have a couple of very, very important items of interest that all 06 and 07 Civic owners should know about : PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND!

Check with your dealer. Is your engine block in danger of cracking? How do they know that for sure? Get it verified! You do not want to put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation or the BS i've went through!!

If you do not have an extended warrantee, GET ONE! I checked with my Honda dealer, they told me they can get me a 6 year, 100,000 mile warrantee for $1595, but I have to do it before the car reaches 36,000 miles! (There goes my summer vacation!)

I've checked into the California Lemon Law. I've also called Honda North American customer service (but as of today, been playing phone tag). I want to know what Honda plans to do about my situation. Would they give me my money back? Would they replace the car with an 08 Civic? Can I at least get a written guarantee that the car will never break down again? Can I get at least an extended warrantee for free?

I've paid my car off two and a half years early. I feel they owe me something. I'm just a regular guy (high school history teacher) who wanted a reliable car with no car payments so I can have more money buy a house.

Anixoulsy looking forward to your comments! Thanks!

deadduck

5+ Year Member
Got a 2008 Civic, 7700 miles. Sat morn notice coolant fluid under car. Call dealer to send a tow truck since I suspected serious problem. They pick up; inspect and call to say I have a cracked block. Sound's like: BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL IF YA BUY A CIVIC.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ Werd
lcwilsonjr said:
On Sat, July 18 they replaced one of the four magnetic coils that fire the spark plugs (I was under the impression that one magnetic coil fired all four plugs, WRONG! There is one coil for each plug! I think that they should have replaced all four coils and knowing what I know now, I would have demanded it). I asked dealer if my orignal engine overheating could have had anything to do with the coil malfunctioning. He said that he's replaced these kind of coils before, but because the engine was hot enough to melt the dipstick, it could have contributed to their failure. Car drove fine for ten days when.....

On Weds, July 30, after leaving work, my car began sputtering and lost almost all power again. I needed, yet again, to be towed to the dealer.
Ten days after July 18th is July 28th. Not the 30th.... :scurred: