203whp d16y7 civic stock turbo.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is the fun of not pushing ur car to see what it can do
Like dumping it all the way to see how low u can go or seing how fast u can go same concept

Sent from tapataalllkk
it 2012... we have all seen what a stock bottom end D can do and what the rods/ pistons/ block ect can hold power wise.
it wouldnt be pushing it to see what it could do, it be pushing it to break, which IMO is dumb.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Yeah if u dont have money to spend on a new one

Sent from tapataalllkk

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
even if you did, it would be super annoying to have to source a new longblock, basically do a full motor swap, and get the boost setup retuned just to be able to drive again. Like sohclubkid said, wouldn't even be finding some new limit, you'd just be repeating history and wasting your time and money in the process.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm posting this to get some real numbers for those wanting to turbo the slow d16y7. For any questions post here. That way my answers will help others in the future.

Engine : d16y7 stock internals 107hp factory. I average 40mpg before turbo. Originally without vtec. Sohc.

Tranny : 5 speed long gears

Upgrades:
Fuel pump. Walbro 255lph.
Fuel injectors. Dsm 450cc blue tops with resistor box.
Automatic 96-98 ex intake manifold (but you will need a manual ex manifold for the two wire iacv)
Y7 throttle body.y8 rotor (You will need y8 throttle body.)
Cold spark plugs
Ex cat converted
Full 2.5" exhaust
Chipped obd1 ecu
Conversion harness

Maintenance:
Synthetic oil
spark plugs and wires
Cap and rotor
Coolant flush
Make sure your car runs 100% correct. Before the Turbo or else you will have a bad build.

Turbo parts
Cast-iron manifold
Godspeed t3t4 .50 trim (I think)
Godspeed fmic
Godspeed external waste gate with 10psi spring (open dump tube)
knock off gready type rs bov (vented to atmosphere)
Custom downpipe

This setup was able to make 202.7 whp. At 5.8k rpm and 185.4 ft-lb at 4.7k rpm
Tuned on chrome
Elevation 5280 above sea level

Video and pictures coming soon.
OP hows it running? and wheres the pics/ vids!? ;)

alex_n/a

stocker
I won't quote everyone but, the car runs great. besided the idle. I still need to get a two wire iacv. which means I need to get a manual intake manifold. and stuff.

I am getting 9psi on my boost gauge. not sure how accurate it is. I will test it with another one. it's manual so I assume its pretty accurate. The car is my daily driver and I am not going into higher boost most of the time. I usally shift early if I see I'm getting past 5psi. I drive safe. so yes I might be pushing the limits. but I'm only pushing the limit maybe once a week.

I'm getting 32mpg if anyone cares lol. I used to get 40mpg. I should get more later when I stop going into boost at all lol. but for now its sooooo much fun.

I will be building another block so i can up the boost and get mid 200whp. I would settle with 250whp. but my goal is 350whp.

the knock off parts are there temporarly. I plan on getting a ssqv hks bov. tial wastegate. used good turbo. same size and everything so I won't need a retune. if that will even work. maybe a better manifold if I notice this one won't hold up. everything else looks like good quality so I will keep the rest.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Upgrading the ebay crap parts is a smart move. What im interested in, is the overall cost of the ebay junk mixed with the legitimate upgrades later and the tune. If it's significantly lower than a self made quit of quality or one of the quality kits available, it would justify going this route for boost.

alex_n/a

stocker
hmm. good question. so here is my experience.

ebay intercooler. good in my opinion. its godspeed. fitment was "universal" but its perfect for my civic.

intercooler pipe. came as a kit. fitment was dead on. I only had to make a cut which was a 90 degree, up to the turbo. but the cut was simple it was designed for a turbo that was rotated 180 degree. keeping the a/c

bov. it came with a knock off ssqv. but the flange on the pipe was for a greddy type rs. or 2.5 inch bolts. so I had to buy another bov. I went with knock off cause I want to save for a nice one. I didn't want to get the pipe rewelded. and I couldn't get the c clip on. lol

wastegate. works perfect so far. no boost leaks or creeps. I will update if it takes a real dump on me lol.

oil lines. work great so far. perfect fit. not to long or short. no leaks.

manifold. started rusting right away. I should have put some protective on there. but it did fit perfect. no leaks or cracks.

turbo. started rusting on the hot side. but holding up.

downpipe. fit was crap. I had to get it cut and rewelded. but at least came with flex pipe. and the flanges did fit. just welded wrong.

I have spent 2k to make it turbo. that is including the dyno tune by a profesional shop. I think it's worth it.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I won't quote everyone but, the car runs great. besided the idle. I still need to get a two wire iacv. which means I need to get a manual intake manifold. and stuff.

I am getting 9psi on my boost gauge. not sure how accurate it is. I will test it with another one. it's manual so I assume its pretty accurate. The car is my daily driver and I am not going into higher boost most of the time. I usally shift early if I see I'm getting past 5psi. I drive safe. so yes I might be pushing the limits. but I'm only pushing the limit maybe once a week.

I'm getting 32mpg if anyone cares lol. I used to get 40mpg. I should get more later when I stop going into boost at all lol. but for now its sooooo much fun.

I will be building another block so i can up the boost and get mid 200whp. I would settle with 250whp. but my goal is 350whp.

the knock off parts are there temporarly. I plan on getting a ssqv hks bov. tial wastegate. used good turbo. same size and everything so I won't need a retune. if that will even work. maybe a better manifold if I notice this one won't hold up. everything else looks like good quality so I will keep the rest.

ebay intercooler. good in my opinion. its godspeed. fitment was "universal" but its perfect for my civic.

intercooler pipe. came as a kit. fitment was dead on. I only had to make a cut which was a 90 degree, up to the turbo. but the cut was simple it was designed for a turbo that was rotated 180 degree. keeping the a/c

bov. it came with a knock off ssqv. but the flange on the pipe was for a greddy type rs. or 2.5 inch bolts. so I had to buy another bov. I went with knock off cause I want to save for a nice one. I didn't want to get the pipe rewelded. and I couldn't get the c clip on. lol

wastegate. works perfect so far. no boost leaks or creeps. I will update if it takes a real dump on me lol.

manifold. started rusting right away. I should have put some protective on there. but it did fit perfect. no leaks or cracks.

downpipe. fit was crap. I had to get it cut and rewelded. but at least came with flex pipe. and the flanges did fit. just welded wrong.

I have spent 2k to make it turbo. that is including the dyno tune by a profesional shop. I think it's worth it.
:D good to hear.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I destroyed my flange for my wastegate on my old boosted teg. It was a crappy manifold, wastegate fell off while driving. Bought a pretty decent cast iron manifold that had the WG positioned right dead in the center of the runners, and skimped out on the wastegate (bought a knock-off TiAl). It was rated for like 1.2 bar, well over the 10psi I was running, but the stupid thing would slam wide open occasionally and creep my boost to something like 18psi. Scared the hell out of me. I ended up having to take it apart, replace the spring with a legit TiAL spring, and then it worked better.
Moral of the story: just spend the extra money and get GOOD parts. eBay s**t will screw you in the long run.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Spending 2 grand to be turbocharged and still need to upgrade pieces doesn't seem worth it versus spending the same or less cash to boost it right the first time. It may take longer to save up, but with the low quality of the Ebay parts, you will never know if you're that person who gets a turbo with bad bearings or some part of the kit that doesn't hold up long enough before you have them replaced.