92' Civic CX Engine swaps

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Personally, if you want a little bump in hp, I'd get a z6 head and mate it up to your current d15 block, then do a rebuild from there for boost later on down the road.

7D6R

I just bought a 92' Civic CX, I am looking for an engine that will bolt right up to the car without changing anything, it has a D15B8 in it right now.....tiny engine, what engine bolts directly to the mounts and is good enough to hold boost maybe 10-15lbs? any help is appreciated

I have been looking on JDM sites for a new engine, any other suggestions?
I think you need to read more with that budget you have.
It'll be a year or two before your able to boost 10-15 with-out going kaBooM!
And you could find a used D16z6 from $200-500 and Trans from 200-300 there out there.---
And just swap it! You could run the Vtec later... The D16 would still give you more ponies with out the V than a. D15. And you'll have plenty room to mod and save and research and mod and save and... Well you get the picture...

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do I have to do anything special to get the Z6 head bolted on?
It's the internet, the info is out there, you'll want to read up and understand what and how to do it.
A few topics, though some are using the newer d16y8 head, basic concept is the same.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=554053

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10

http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg-ek-dc/dans-massive-d15b8-d16y8-minime-write-up-96144/

union made

5+ Year Member
I mention it because in the Haynes Repair Manual on page 2A-13 in picture 10.17, shows a timing belt marked with chalk indicating the direction of rotation as clockwise. It was a source of confusion for me since I am not a mechanic. It doesn't sound like the person inquiring has a lot of experience either, and I mentioned the Haynes manual in my original reply. Grandaddy always said," don't believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see."

Hubbal

Throttle body and Intake Mani

i am gonna go with the z6 head looks like, I am gonna have to change the TB and Intake Mani too? Also if I do change those two things should i get the d15b8 manifold/TB or the z6 manifold/TB?
This stuff is a little confusing, wheres a good place other than ebay to shop for car parts?

I am trying my best to understand this jargon haha

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also if I do change those two things should i get the d15b8 manifold/TB or the z6 manifold/TB?
If you can, I would get the Z6 intake manifold, it a bit different, the d15b7/b8 are a bit more restrictive than the z6. It will give a little bit better performance, especially mated to the matching head.

Again, the info is out there.
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=3340

wheres a good place other than ebay to shop for car parts?
The used market obviously, Craigslist, local salvage yards, classifieds on Honda forums.

Hubbal

Modifications

am i gonna have to do any modifying/machining? Especially if i get the TB and Intake Mani? The info i have read so far is kinda lacking in description

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
am i gonna have to do any modifying/machining? Especially if i get the TB and Intake Mani? The info i have read so far is kinda lacking in description
How is it lacking? It looks pretty self explanatory.
The manifolds have the same TB openings and the intake ports are 2mm different.
It's up to you, but they will bolt on the same nonetheless.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This tread hurts my brain...

If you want to do a mini-me research it EXTENSIVELY
If you want to do a straight swap, take out the old motor and put int he new one with accompanying ecu etc.. .again, research
If you want to build boost....

you get the idea,

There are about 400 threads on this forum that describe mini-me, full swaps and boost builds. Search, research and ask specific questions.

Any D-series manifold will bolt up to any other d-series as long as it is pre- 7th gen. It's up to you which you want to go with, some are more restrictive and others more open... most go with a Z6 or a y8 IM and TB...

Hubbal

Rebuild or new engine?

I can rebuild my engine for the same cost as buying a new one, still no luck on finding a decent motor, the rebuild kit is gonna cost $390 and it comes with everything i need to do the work...but the current engine is burning oil, if i rebuild it would that fix the problem?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can rebuild my engine for the same cost as buying a new one, still no luck on finding a decent motor, the rebuild kit is gonna cost $390 and it comes with everything i need to do the work...but the current engine is burning oil, if i rebuild it would that fix the problem?
Well it depends on what component is causing you to burn oil. Most common thing is going to be piston rings, and that should be included in a rebuild "kit". I would do some diagnostic work to find out why the engine could possibly be burning oil first. Compression test, power balance, leakdown.... etc. But there is a good place to start.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word:

That's probably in the rebuild kit, right?

OP never posted though what it includes, but I imagine so.
When the motor is torn down, check your cylinder walls to see how they look.
If you do rebuild the motor, it should alleviate your burning oil issue, bad rings or valve seals are the usual suspects when it comes to burning oil.

J Z06

5+ Year Member
can a d15b7 go right in to a cx? i also have one, and was wondering.....

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am happy about my jdm d15b vtec and also check your local craigslist for a d series i found mine for dirt cheap 200$ so you can find them cheap and it bolts right up and runs excellent

Hubbal

Ok, new question I am going to get a JDM D15B Vtec engine, my question is will the hoses from the radiator and brake line tubing all fit? Anything else thats helpful is appreciated! Oh and BTW I am replaceing said hoses and master cylinder also....thanks for any input....Time for some RE5