96romaCX CIVIC hatchback BUILD THREAD

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
On the contrary, time and patience are the skills I've developed being broke lol. This IS a fun time in the garage for me :rolf:

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I understand where you're coming from, it's all part of the process. I'm perpetually broke as well, so anytime I get to upgrade the car is exciting. I just don't enjoy that drudgery of scraping, scraping, scraping. Oh yeah! More scraping. While a necessary part of it, just not as fun as putting on the pretty NEW parts

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I understand where you're coming from, it's all part of the process. I'm perpetually broke as well, so anytime I get to upgrade the car is exciting. I just don't enjoy that drudgery of scraping, scraping, scraping. Oh yeah! More scraping. While a necessary part of it, just not as fun as putting on the pretty NEW parts
It doesn't bother me at all, like you said. It's only because the process should be enjoyed as much as the final product. When you do everything yourself you appreciate the final result so much more. =) thanks for checking it out too!
Nice work :thumbup:
Thanks my friend! :D

It doesn't bother me at all, like you said. It's only because the process should be enjoyed as much as the final product. When you do everything yourself you appreciate the final result so much more. =) thanks for checking it out too!

Thanks my friend! :D
That's true I love working on my hatch, just did koni str.t, coilover sleeves, rear lower control arms and rear camber kit and its a great feeling to work on my car myself all grins. BTW we have the same hatch I'm going to get a clay bar and see if I can make mine shine like urs.

SiR.Huey

What is all this progress!? lol been a while, and those type twos look great! The brake swap is pretty straight forward and not that difficult. I do have a question; are you going to upgrade your brake booster and master cylinder? In advance I just did a rear disc brake conversion from an em1 in december, Apparently the 13/16" bore of the stock MC on my ex would have been close too and or have bottomed out trying to supply the right force to the rear calipers.
So after some talking with a honda guru friend of mine and a lot of research I also added a new 2001 GSR master cylinder and booster to my upgrade. The car stops on a dime and has plenty of breaking force. So much that it really does want to throw your face off. Haha!
However this was more expensive of an outcome than I expected because I wanted the MC and booster new...here is some diverse Master cylinder info I found: the integra Ls has a 15/16" bore aswell as the EM1, and the GSR was the 1' bore so I chose the largest for comfort. Also the EX LS SI and GSR all have a 40/40 proportioning valve. Granted if your car doesn't have the 40/40 PV I believe you would need one but not from an ABS model.
After all is said and done the only thing that held me up was a brake line going from the MC to the proportioning valve: the side one. my stock one did not line up. Which I found one that worked, by luck of draw, a 96-00 4-door/sedan civic at my local pull a part, don't know which year or trim but not with ABS. I made sure the line looked good and was still connected to the MC and PV, and not opened up to air yet. Just some food for thought.
The booster and MC may not have really needed to be upgraded because I am still uncertain though because threads don't fully answer a question 100% with a yes or no, rather more with suggestions and personal opinions with what works and makes since, ya feel?.. AS for how it worked for me.. well the brakes are great and strong and I am not upset at all with my stopping force because overall it is 25x's better than my drum brakes which faded on me once when I pushed my car to 100mph and started braking hard for a red light. I was just testing waters and got a little spirited lol. This was still a scary moment when the car seemed to be gliding while I was braking..:shock: got any questions just feel free to ask or Pm me. Good luck! And to the others I would like to hear thoughts and opinions on the MC and booster, not on the 100mph in a civic though, we can let that one go lol.

Just read up on some older posts; and to BUZZBOMBTOM>> look at my thread please. I have had my function and form type 1's since fall of 2011 AND I am all the way down in the front and still have room in the rear to go down, yet the things are not blown nor bad. keep in mind that I focused on the warranty from f&f to not adjust the spring perches so they stayed put. I have driven on them to Houston Texas from Georgia and back, Destin Florida and back, aswell to Nashville Tn and back. We all know some highways have unavoidable bridge bumps and unexpected road work to that only a local would know of. Plus putting over 30,000 miles, and counting as this is my daily, hitting unexpected bumps in the road (not purposefully but accidentally as things come out of no where sometimes, or that one time you are distracted looking for something... etc.) My F&F experience has been more than excellent. Why was yours soo bad? Were yours brand new or second-handed? I just don't receive any d**k sucking frommy Function & Form's so I wanna know more of your side. PM me about it?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My friend has the same swap with integra e brake cables and the 13/16 MC and booster, he said it worked great for him and he has a vsm 97 hatch. That's all I'm doing. Well I have my new re-man brake calipers front and rear and wheel bearings from advance, I sold my stock set up to a buddy and when I was taking the rear drivers brake hose off I twisted the flare but off the line. When trying to remove it I found a leak in the passenger side rear line so both have to come out. But now I can't get them out because if the subframe clearance being so tight, so I'll have to drop the subframe to get them out. I'm getting my friend to bend me new ones for next to nothing. I'll update how it goes this weekend, I'm not messing with it again until Saturday.

SiR.Huey

Like I was saying, I didn't find a direct answer and wasn't sure if I really needed to do the MC and booster upgrade but I am definitely not complaining about it cause everything works great. I am sure things will be perfect for you as well once all is finished. Good luck! Tuned in for the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot, I'll hopefully have some more updates after this weekend when I have time to do some more. =)

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I had to drop the subframe a few in he's to get the brake lines out, I spent all day yesterday trying to hunt down a m10x1.0 flare nut but finally found one. I bought 25ft of brake line and rented a double flaring kit from advance to remake my own lines. We got the longest one finished and in yesterday, fit like a glove! Now I have to do the drivers side rear today and start assembling everything back. The last item on the list is going to be rotors and pads, and those will be ordered this Friday. I'll have pics up as soon as I can, I didn't take any yesterday it was kind of hectic.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Waiting on centric rotors and hawk hps pads to arrive tomorrow, then bleed, and alignment Saturday. I've done so much and replaced everything and after 8 months of being on stands I'll finally get to drive it. I did all the work myself and I couldn't be happier, sorry for no pics of progress but I'll have some up of the finished product. I can't wait! I had to make my own brakes lines by hand and I've completely restored and rebuilt every single part of my suspension :rolf:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome man! I bet it feels great to know that the suspension is solid. Time for a swap now?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome man! I bet it feels great to know that the suspension is solid. Time for a swap now?
It really does, i know everything was done correctly. It's like having a new car kinda :rolf:
i vote yes
Well, next is miata spec kosei k1s to replace my old ones, 15x7 +30, and more than likely 205/50/15 SDrives again :rolf:

Then I start putting together the b16 swap parts I promise!!!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alrighty! I just turned the last bolt on the brake swap and its done except for a bleed and adjusting the hand brake cables!
Since they don't sell ate blue anymore, I got the type 200. Same thing just legal because it's not blue:what:

And here's the finished products! Energy suspension front upper control arm bushings installed with new honda hardware, replaced a the wheel bearings, and front lower ball joints, brand new re manufactured nissin calipers at all four corners, energy suspension RTA bushings installed, centric rotors and hawk hps pads, and Russell stainless steel soft lines.

Thanks for following!!! :rolf:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good! Only thing I recommend is removing the screws on the rotors or anti seize. They were for assembly lines purposes

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks good! Only thing I recommend is removing the screws on the rotors or anti seize. They were for assembly lines purposes
I greased the hub lightly and the screws are only hand tight, so I hope it should be okay. Thank you for the tip though, I appreciate it.
purdy and clean
lol why thank you sir, it was a lot of hard work and saving to finish it off. That means a lot.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I greased the hub lightly and the screws are only hand tight, so I hope it should be okay. Thank you for the tip though, I appreciate it.

lol why thank you sir, it was a lot of hard work and saving to finish it off. That means a lot.

You're welcome. Just don't want to see you fight a seized screw down the road that served no purpose. But of you coated them then they should be ok