97 Civic Hatch with B16a2: Speedo & Tach don't work

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
ill try that.. my buddy upstairs has a car i can test it in..

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
well all the fuses seem to be in working order so im at a loss of words idk what to do!! arg so angry i just want it to work right, someone told me that if the cluster is not working that could also be why the vtec is not kickin in so AERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and "seem" and "aren't blown" are two different concepts. my brothers windows wouldnt roll down and i looked at all the fuses and thought they looked okay and then i pulled em all out one by one and found a few busted ones and then the windows finnally worked. but def check with your friends car to see if it actually took a dump on you.

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
ok so i took my gauge cluster out of my car and pluged it into my buddys car and it worked???? i dont understand ive done all the research on the 97 hatch and the 99 civic si and found that the wireing harnest to the ecu is right and it is the right ecu so i dont understand nothing works on the gauge cluster gas dont work the rpm mph , but the blinkers work and dash lights come on when i turn the lights on........ ARGGGGG i Hate being Car Stupid. im a dam computer guy it should be easy!!!!! please HELP ME!!!! ive pulled all the fuses and all them are fine ive replaced the ones that where missing and the ones that blew cuz the shity stero install these guys did lmao.....

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
o yea and the vtec does kick in =) just have to wait for the car to warm up then it kicks in great! ! little fuker got some pull on it.......Fast!!!

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well since your cluster does work thats one good thing. your problem might be your speed sensor on your transmission or something might just be unplugged. has it worked before?

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
well idk the guy i bought it from got it from a car auction so idk.... but its the rpm and mph and gas engin temp none work so if the speed sencor is not workin then it would cause nothing to work??

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if they havent worked before also check to see if your grounded correctly. if you remove the lower kick panel on the driver side (where the hood popper is) take off that panel carefully and in that area i know theres a ground wire i just dont know if its the one that affects the gauges.

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
k ill look, i know under the steering there was a ground wire but dont know where it was connected it was allready cut so idk? but ill look i realy hope that is it........ :( Thank you.... i let you know...

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is it plugged in? O_o

a few things can cause 1 or more of those to not work. RPM is controlled by the ICM, i know this because i forgot to connect one of the plugs and the RPMs stopped working lol.

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
yea the cluster is all pluged in.... but i cant seem to find the ground wire that you speek of... i fixed the one that was cliped and still no good but by the hood pop i dont c any ground wire?????

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
Does Any one have a pic of the location of that ground and where it goes and comes from please Help ME!!!!

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
ok so here is something weird my engine temp gauge is working fine.... but thats the only gauge that is workng so if it was not grounded then nothing would work right??? iv run outa ideas on what it could be ??? some one help me please.....

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your fuses; both under the hood and under that dash. Also, check all of the connections to the cluster. They could be making no contact. You may have a bad cluster, which would require replacing.