98 Hatch slow motion build.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, the Si is sold, and this is my transportation for the next few weeks, until I can get it sold too.

Also, ordered a HVLP spray gun and some supplies (more air hoses, and desiccant filters) this morning, to do the paint and body work on my hatch.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That crx is in nice shape, my buddy up here would kill for something rust free like that.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That crx is in nice shape, my buddy up here would kill for something rust free like that.
The chassis and body are rust free, but the paint is still 25 years old and starting to chip away in places. This was actually just a really good picture... it looks a bit more aged in person. Still, I did a ton of work to it about a year ago, and it drives like new.., and I'll be putting some new front brake calipers, rotors, and maybe pads this week. Sometime next week, I've got to track down a freon leak on it... Because having no A/C in Texas, in the summer, sucks! I don't know how @CHILD does it.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
... Because having no A/C in Texas, in the summer, sucks! I don't know how @CHILD does it.
haha. I get to cheat in a way, I work a mid day shift into the evening, so it's hot to start and gets cooler for me....but still, you know how it is down here at night too. I spent most of my work day outside too so I'm just used to it I guess lol.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
New stuff, courtesy Eastwood Company.

Decided I'm going to keep driving the CRX for a while and put my hatch in the garage and tear it down to do the paint and body work, so I don't feel rushed from weekend to weekend.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The Texas state fair started yesterday... for some reason, business falls completely off during the fair, for some reason.
So to occupy my mind, I've started rebuilding my GSR front knuckles.... new studs, bearings, rotors, brakes, ball joints.
Here's Saturday's work. Wire brushed to remove 15 years of rust, and installed some new studs.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Finished products... New OEM wheel bearings, new OEM lower ball joints, new ARP studs, new Centric rotors (9.5" to 10.2"), new EBC Ultimax brake pads, new Goodridge steel-braided lines.

Unfortunately, while working on the brakes, I found the source of a squeaking and knocking noise I've been hearing or about the past week...... I have to say, I'm quite displeased..
The rubber bushings on my BuddyClub upper control arms are completely torn, and on the passenger side, they've slid all the way forward on the center part of the bushing.... They've only been on the car since February, and I've driven about 8k miles since then. I bought them through TunerSports and I emailed them about it, but I don't expect to hear anything back until Monday.
Furthermore, the rubber boots for the upper ball joints on the arms look like the boots on my 17 year old tie rod ends..... very displeased.

On the bright side, my car stops on a dime, with barely a press at the brake pedal.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Finally heard back from Buddy Club's warranty people..... Please remove from the car and sent it to us for exchange.

Oh.... at my cost.

This is after already stating that this was for my daily commuter car.... Fortunately some Skunk2 Pro-Series Plus arms should be here by the middle of next week... I'll ship the Buddy Club's back in the Skunk2 box.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
thats pretty terrible to hear about those bc control arms going out so quickly. i always considered them to be a decent quality brand but this seems to show otherwise. the new brake setup looks great. those are gsr calipers correct? did you change out your master cylinder with a larger one? if not how is your pedal travel? ive been planning on upgrading my calipers and i keep reading that its necessary to upgrade to the 1" master cylinder as well.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats pretty terrible to hear about those bc control arms going out so quickly. i always considered them to be a decent quality brand but this seems to show otherwise. the new brake setup looks great. those are gsr calipers correct? did you change out your master cylinder with a larger one? if not how is your pedal travel? ive been planning on upgrading my calipers and i keep reading that its necessary to upgrade to the 1" master cylinder as well.
GSR calipers front and rear now. No need for changing the booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve or anything... pedal travel is fine. The brakes are sensitive, but that's because of the steel braided lines, more than anything else. I'm considering changing out my master cylinder, but only because it's almost 18 years old.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
GSR calipers front and rear now. No need for changing the booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve or anything... pedal travel is fine. The brakes are sensitive, but that's because of the steel braided lines, more than anything else. I'm considering changing out my master cylinder, but only because it's almost 18 years old.
Awesome thats great to know. thats exactly what id like is a firm responsive pedal without excessive travel. hopefully those skunk control arms hold up alot better than the bc's

Chid

Hi guys, new to the forums here...

You will be pleased with the Skunk2's. I've been using the same ones for over 4 years now and have NO issues. They've been through hell too. Lowered, raced, car wrecks, raised, and yet they still are 100% working condition. The only thing I recommend is getting the energy suspension bushings and replace the rubber boot covering the ball joint, not too mention all the other rubber bushings your car may have.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've put the CRX up for sale... just don't have time to mess with two cars, between work and college classes and baby coming in 6 weeks.