'99 Si: exhaust suggestions

Danny_eacobar729

So I bought this 1999 Honda Civic Si, and it sounds like ass. It is completely straight piped and has a ricer sounding exhaust. Does anyone have any idea what mufflers I could install to make it sound nice? I was think of some flow masters but have no idea which ones yet. Open to any suggestions.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would suggest against Flowmasters on Civics because they sound a little too open ended. MagnaFlows are really good. There are several previous posts that cover this exact topic, so get to searching :thumbs up

68Camaro

Respected
I have a vibrant on my 99 civic with a d16y8 and it sounds good to me. Everyone has there own definition of ricey sounding .Heres is a sound clip . Not the best video but you can hear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
99 Civic coupe Turbo B20 11psi. 8.2@86mph MP Automotive - YouTube

Heres vibrant stealth muffler when I was boosted.. but I also used a decent resonator. but boost cuts out 1/3 of the noise/rasp

When I ran NA and 3", I used (2) 18" resonators and Vibrant universal stainless muffler. Kept the noise down, but when you got into the throttle, it was a little loud. But keeping flow while keeping noise down on a 3" exhaust is quite challenging.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
68Camaro's Vibrant exhaust doesnt sound bad in that brief clip. Neither does EsotericImage, but his is an exception what with being boosted on a b20 engine.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Magnaflow makes a nice 3 chamber muffler, nothing fancy or shiny, but honestly IMO sounds perfect. Good sound levels and good frequencies. And the price is right. They have a 2 chamber also that's a bit louder. I had a 3 chamber on an previous car and loved it. Got it from Summit I think.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to like magnaflow until mine rusted.. They wouldnt replace it under warranty. They claim stainless but in reality, its the worst stainless you can get. So much iron in it that a magnet grabs it with no problem.

But hey, thats just my experience.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I ran a full MagnaFlow exhaust with a Megan 4-2-1 headers and it sounded great IMO. Deeper than the ricey typical Honda, but was a bit too loud for some people who rode in my car before. I've heard Apexi WS2 sound amazing and aren't too loud, but they are pricey!

itzrivera

99 Civic coupe Turbo B20 11psi. 8.2@86mph MP Automotive - YouTube

When I ran NA and 3", I used (2) 18" resonators and Vibrant universal stainless muffler. Kept the noise down, but when you got into the throttle, it was a little loud. But keeping flow while keeping noise down on a 3" exhaust is quite challenging.
Yes, OP, listen to this. The resonator will get rid of drone. I have a magnaflow resonator welded up to my cat at the moment. It has removed most of the annoying rasp. Its the magnaflow red tube, the 30 inch one lol in 2.5 inch diameter. Only thing is, its stupid loud without the rest of the piping and muffler in.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a stainless Thermal Research exhaust on my DOHC ZC powered '93 hatch, low tone, fit well and well made!
RSR also used to make a nice exhaust for these cars, but I know the one I had was NOT stainless.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IDK why someone would pay 200+ for an apexi muffler when any similar muffler will achieve similar noise levels for under 100 bucks.

saquon

So I bought this 1999 Honda Civic Si, and it sounds like ass. It is completely straight piped and has a ricer sounding exhaust. Does anyone have any idea what mufflers I could install to make it sound nice? I was think of some flow masters but have no idea which ones yet. Open to any suggestions.
I have a 99 civic and I run headers cat to straight pipe sounds beast to me and back fires

I have a vibrant on my 99 civic with a d16y8 and it sounds good to me. Everyone has there own definition of ricey sounding .Heres is a sound clip . Not the best video but you can hear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also have a y8 but I run headers cat then straight pipe don't sound bad to me at all and when cruising in higher gears I really don't hear it

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

saquon

That's not a good thing, unburned fuel into the exhaust and ignited.
And why is it not good? I never had an issue! man have I heard anything bad about it so I'm guessing anti lag is bad for your car to if your Boost it right? is good which mean you did something to your car it's not stock any more not to many stock cars can back fire so to me it's not a bad thing at all

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And why is it not good? I never had an issue! man have I heard anything bad about it so I'm guessing anti lag is bad for your car to if your Boost it right? is good which mean you did something to your car it's not stock any more not to many stock cars can back fire so to me it's not a bad thing at all

Nothing in that rambling of words makes any sort or sense.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How I'm asking you how it's bad nothing bad ever happened to my car or anybody I know noob

The backfiring sound you're hearing from a straight pipe is known as back chatter (I believe). It's much different than ALS. Anti Lag Systems are used to prevent turbo lag.

You're hearing the backfiring sounds with your straight pipe system because your exhaust lacks pressure. Uncombusted exhaust gases remain in the system, and the sound you're hearing is that gas exploding when the spark plug fires. It's bad for your engine over time because it can hurt your valves and possibly o2 sensors.

Anti lag systems can also hurt an engine, but typically those engines are built and tuned properly. The turbo helps keep positive pressure within the system. It can also damage the turbo over time as it causes a lot of heat.

saquon

The backfiring sound you're hearing from a straight pipe is known as back chatter (I believe). It's much different than ALS. Anti Lag Systems are used to prevent turbo lag.

You're hearing the backfiring sounds with your straight pipe system because your exhaust lacks pressure. Uncombusted exhaust gases remain in the system, and the sound you're hearing is that gas exploding when the spark plug fires. It's bad for your engine over time because it can hurt your valves and possibly o2 sensors.

Anti lag systems can also hurt an engine, but typically those engines are built and tuned properly. The turbo helps keep positive pressure within the system. It can also damage the turbo over time as it causes a lot of heat.
No sir the fire comes from out the block them through the straight pipe if you remove the headers off your car you'll see

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IDK why someone would pay 200+ for an apexi muffler when any similar muffler will achieve similar noise levels for under 100 bucks.
because that similar is still sub par. I didn't think there was that much of a difference until a friend of mine got one of those Yonaka exhausts to compare with mine. The Apex'i price has gone up over the years, but it's still much better than other similar systems. a WS2 full catback used to be $350 back in the days