1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Alternator Belt Squealing

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by onesikEJ8, Dec 24, 2009.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. onesikEJ8

onesikEJ8 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Hey guys my alternator belt just started squealing randomly one day. It doesnt do it all the time either. If I rev the motor to like 4 grand then it'll go away for the time being. I checked the tension on the belt and it is fine and I tried belt dressing, and what do you know, it's still squealing. Could it possibly be the alternator itself? Or maybe the pulley itself? Any ideas? Thanks ahead.

Kyle

2. RonJ

RonJ Banned

If you remove the alternator belt temporarily, does the noise go away?

3. iBeast

iBeast New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i would try tightening the belt anyways it might go away

4. hooked_on4

hooked_on4 RegularFlush Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Just be careful,

I had new belts on, and overtightened it, it squaled, I thought it'd just go away so i'm on the high way and it isn't going away then it does and my battery light comes on, unfortunately my water pump is on the same belt and I overheated and had to get towed.

Sometimes they just squeal if they get wet, I don't have a belly pan on mine so water can do it sometimes.

If it's an old belt and is glazed just buy a new one.

5. onesikEJ8

the belt is practically brand new.. i am going to try and tighten it just a bit.. we'll see.. i was thinking maybe the pulley itself?

6. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Again, how do you know the alternator belt is the problem as opposed to one of the other drive belts?

7. onesikEJ8

Well I don't have AC and I took the power steering belt off and started the car and same thing happened. But It seems to have gone away, I was able to get a better shot of the pulley to spray the belt dressing on. It only squeaks every now and then.

8. Esotericimage

Esotericimage Taking an H-T break Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Belt dressing is what used car lots use to quiet their crappy auction peice of s**t cars.. it doesnt do anything but sometimes makes the problem worse.

9. janedoe

janedoe Live Free! 5+ Year Member

The alternator could be loose.

10. UCCRacing

UCCRacing No Fun Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

How could it make the problem worse?

Just because you just replaced it doesn't mean it isn't the cause... Not saying it is either... Just don't rule that out.... Tighten it, but not too tight... If it is still happening take it off start it up and see if it still happens, if not, just go buy a new belt, get a good one, or even OEM... Try Gator back or gates... Maybe the belt you put on is junk? Just some suggestions...

11. whoopnip

whoopnip Some Delicious Guy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

It won't make anything worse. It does help to quell some squeals, and may hide a belt that needs to be replaced. If this belt is not ever replaced and keeps being hidden with belt dressing, this may create the issue. It helps to prolong the inevitable.

12. Wilshire001

Wilshire001 Hey it's me Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

where on the 6th gen Honda repair manual does it show how to tighten the serpentine belt for a 97 Dx coupe? I can't find it.

13. FreeOfThoughts

FreeOfThoughts The joy of driving Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Time to start a new thread for that ?. (The AC belt is in the section of heating and Air conditioning, the alternator belt is in the electrical section just after the pages on the alternator and the timing belt is in the engine section)

14. Wilshire001

Wilshire001 Hey it's me Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

ahhh, I understand how the manual is organized now. Thanks for showing me that.