Amp Selection For My System?

gearheadmike

ok i got 2 new kicker compvx subs 10'' rated at 1200watts 600 rms 2ohms
Im having a hard time finding a right amp. id rather it be a little under powered then too muchand fry them.
also what way should i hook these up Parallel or Series wiring?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can't "fry" a sub by under powering it. What blows them 95% of the time is distortion, not power.

gearheadmike

yea thats y i need some help finding one id like to order something off sonic electronix as they seem to have very resonable prices.

James315

are you wanting to run a matching brand amp such as a kicker 2 channel if so i cant remember the model number off the top of my head but i would personally just pick up atleast a decent 2 chanel probably in the 1000 watt max range that should depending on what brand cause there rms ratings are all different just makes sure its 1 ohm stable otherwise you overheat and more than likely fry the heats sensor in it locking it in protect but most 1000 watt max amps range from about 250 rms per channel up to about 500rms per channel depending on what kind of load you put on it 1 ohm is gonna yeild more power... stick with a good brand cant stress that enough so your supplying it with good clean power other wise you will clipp them to death. best option match your amp to your subs..

gearheadmike

id like to stick with same brand just kinda on a slim buget. i still need to fig if i should wire the subs in parallel or series as theres 4 prongs on each sub. and so i should be looking for a 2ch amp?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
id like to stick with same brand just kinda on a slim buget. i still need to fig if i should wire the subs in parallel or series as theres 4 prongs on each sub. and so i should be looking for a 2ch amp?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The 4 prongs mean your dual voice coil. You need to wire both coils together to drive the subwoofer. Depending on the amp you choose will determine how you wire up the subs

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i got 2 new kicker compvx subs 10'' rated at 1200watts 600 rms 2ohms
Im having a hard time finding a right amp. id rather it be a little under powered then too muchand fry them.
also what way should i hook these up Parallel or Series wiring?
for deciding wheter to wire parallel or series, check this out and download your manual it should have the wiring diamgrams all there for you, if you dont have a hard manual already
http://kicker.com/Product_Manuals

usually you choose how you want to wire based on what your amp can handle.
if you wire up one 2-ohm DVC sub in parallel you will get a 1 ohm load. since you have 2 of these, if you wire both of them in parallel you will have a 2 ohm load. obivously if you choose this route you will need an amp that can handle a 2 ohm load.

if you wire one 2-ohm DVC sub in series you will get a 4 ohm load. since you have 2 of these, if you wire both of them in series you will get a 8 ohm load.

back when i used to have a 10" kicker L5 solobaric (square sub) with 4 ohm dual voice coil and i had it wired in series becuase i only had a 4 ohm amp (4 ohm DVC in series gives an 8 ohm load).

rule of thumb: less ohms = more load. so a 4 ohm amp will handle a 8 ohm load just find. obviously it would not be able to handle anything less then 4

gearheadmike

yea its just i dont have a clue what to get ill have only about 150-180 to spend on an amp i know thats not much but all i have.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea its just i dont have a clue what to get ill have only about 150-180 to spend on an amp i know thats not much but all i have.
call sonic electronix and ask them the RMS wattage or find another amp manufacturer and/or amp vendor that will provide the RMS. the RMS wattage is really what you should be building your system of off, not peak wattage

RMS means "root mean square" and is basically the average wattage that the amp can produce on a consistent basis.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
took a little look on sonic electronix i would get an amp like this for your setup:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27848_Power-Acoustik-CPT1-2000.html

this amp provides the highest RMS wattage: 870 @ 2 ohms, for under $150. plus it includes a wired remote which can come in handy. this would be your best bang for your buck in my opinion, and you still have money left over for a good wiring kit. looks like it has alot fo good reviews too.

870 might not sound like alot to some people, and don't feel like you absolutely have to be putting out the full RMS that the subs can handle. i used to run ONE 10" kicker solobaric L5 (square - 450 watts RMS) with a 4 ohm amp putting out only 320 watts RMS and that pounded hard. i can only imagine yours system will be deafening if your putting out 870 watts at 2 ohms lol

gearheadmike

yea i seen that one just the reviews kinda bother me about it getting hot fast. and wireing is covered lol i got all new and 5ga. power wire.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well just make sure you install it in an open area where it can get ample ventilation. if you put it underneath a seat or something then you might have problems but other then that you should be okay

gearheadmike

yea its most lilely going to be mounter to the back side of the rear seat.

also does anyone know what i got to do to remove the rear shelf to change out my rear window speakers?

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive heard swapping the speakers on the rear deck is a bish, maybe not but i would totally wire the subs in parallel wich will make them 2 ohm stable and get a class D mono amp thats in between 500 and 700rms x 1... hell just one of those subs with the right amp and enclosure would rattle the crap outta your car...

gearheadmike

yea i got new speakers for rear and like to put them in,also deff getting a mono amp just finding one for my right price range that isnt junk. i hope they sound good they look really good build and new i got them for $80 each new in box idnt think thats bad seeing they go for $170

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as for amps you have to be willing to pay the price for a nice amp that will push your subs, you dont wanna buy an amp lets say at a pawn shop and find out that it distorts your sub because the impedance is wrong but it states that its a 1000 watt max and 600 rms power i would say to go to crutchfield.com and chat with a person and ask which amp would go great with the subs you have... when they recommend an amp go on ebay or craigslist to find it cheaper..

gearheadmike

as for amps you have to be willing to pay the price for a nice amp that will push your subs, you dont wanna buy an amp lets say at a pawn shop and find out that it distorts your sub because the impedance is wrong but it states that its a 1000 watt max and 600 rms power i would say to go to crutchfield.com and chat with a person and ask which amp would go great with the subs you have... when they recommend an amp go on ebay or craigslist to find it cheaper..

yea i think im going to do that be the best bet. i want them to last awhile and seeing i made a walmart sony last 4 years these should last longer for me.

^^ and yes there each 2ohm