another lowering question

hondax2004

5+ Year Member
i want to lower my 04 sedan 2.2 in in the front and 2in in the back, do i have to change out the shocks, the cambers, the strut plates. is that to low to lower it? i know it will make the ride worse but it will look better.

thats how high it sits

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't HAVE to change the shocks. They will wear out down the road so make plans to replace them at some point. You'll also need a camber kit. You'll also prob have to cut the bump stop in half as well. That should be in the instructions that come with the springs.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Suggestion makes no sense because craigslist is almost always used stuff. Theres a chance to find new stuff, but not likely.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suggestion makes no sense because craigslist is almost always used stuff. Theres a chance to find new stuff, but not likely.
Save the planet! Used is good.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You probably don't need a 2" drop. But for that low you will need a camber kit, and new struts along with whatever springs you decide to use. That low of a drop will blow your stock shocks before too terribly long. Look into a full coilover setup if you can afford it at all. If you find you don't want that low of a drop you can always raise it up later on. That's my 2 cents...

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ Why wouldn't he want a 2" drop? Just cause you're a pussy doesn't mean everyone is :lol:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
New shocks will end up being a must in the future. You'd be best off getting them now and installing them with the springs so you don't have to take the whole assembly apart again later. You will also need camber kits (SPC and Ingalls are reputable brands.)

It's not too low to lower it, but you will have to adjust your driving style a little (taking driveways at an angle. making a full stop at speed bumps / taking routes with less speedbumps, etc..) That's what my DD is lowered at, and it's not horrible.

Rocket350

5+ Year Member
I bought some used lowering springs on eBay for $60 and threw them on the stock struts. Looks good and was cheap. So far the struts are ok. It's been about 6 months. I'll just worry about it when it happens. LOL

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Oh I didnt say that used was bad. Its a pretty good idea. My intake, header, muffler, and seats are all used. Its a GREAT way to save money.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought some used lowering springs on eBay for $60 and threw them on the stock struts. Looks good and was cheap. So far the struts are ok. It's been about 6 months. I'll just worry about it when it happens. LOL
4 years and waiting for it to happrn, lol
Oh I didnt say that used was bad. Its a pretty good idea. My intake, header, muffler, and seats are all used. Its a GREAT way to save money.
:thumbup:

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ Why wouldn't he want a 2" drop? Just cause you're a pussy doesn't mean everyone is :lol:
That low on an EM2/ES1 and you are generally starting to tuck and you have to deal with all the issues that come with it. I'm lowered about 1.75" and if I go any lower I will be tucking and I don't want to deal with all the issues. Plus putting a 3" pipe underneath an EM2 scrapes on every bloody thing as it is. Say what you want. The OP was asking some pretty basic questions. Lowering 2" vs. 1.5" comes with a lot more problems. Thats why I said he might not want to go that low and it doesn't take 2" to close up the gap between tire and fender really nicely.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'd go anywhere in the range of 1.5"-2"...im lowered 2.5 in front and 2.25 in back..i rub in the front and have to be very careful on steep driveways..if you want to get rid of the gap competely, you'd want to go 2" or lower

here's mine.

srt1

5+ Year Member
I went w/the blue Tokico's w/the lowering springs. Man what a diff! It handles well w/out using a strut bar but I think eventually I'll get my bars. Kinda pricey for the blues but worth it!

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
I am lowering my car 2.25 front and 2 in the back I should have the car done by tomorrow, Ill take a pic or two and post them. I have a sedan too you can see what it looks like.

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
Yay its done it looks so much better!! I went over the mountains the other day and have not got a chance to wash the car yet but Ill post a pic of the back tomorrow after its clean. Here is a pic of the gap, and one from the front that ill prob post a new not so dirty one tomorrow. The neuspeed springs feel really good on turns though you can kinda feel almost any bump on the road it really isnt that bad. I am loving the tokico shocks even though its cost my a pretty penny its so worth it.

:D

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
looks great man, your car is exactly as low as mine lol

i think your car is my car's black twin. same s**t on it. even the yellow fogs.

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
Actually Kaotic your the reason I went with nuespeed springs I saw your post when I was browsing on another forum and did the research on them and realized I wanted them so thanks lol. I thought it was interesting that nuespeed is one or is the only springs that are made for the sedan vs the coupe.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did you get the race springs? If you did.. your car doesn't look as low as mine... Strange.

Glad you like them though. It's always nice when you redo your suspension =)

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
Yeah its the race springs. I think the reason it doesn't look as low as yours is that the coupes where already lower then the sedan (I believe) so though our drops where both 2.25 and 2 yours was lower from the get go.

Love the new suspension, I don't want to slam on it till its aligned tomorrow but I am so ready for it. =)