any ps3 owners on here?

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was thinking about linux on my ps3 but then recently my bro tried sending his ps3 in for repair and they didnt accept it they said bring it to best buy and they was just going to give him the 80gb but he doesnt lke it cause he cant play the ps2 and ps1 games so he called sony and they charged him 150 for fixing it. fail
It stopped playing the ps3 games and he had the warranty for it but they still gave him the run around how easy was it for you to install Linux I want it bad but I really don't want to fcuk anything up
Did he buy the Best Buy warranty? Sony probably honors that warranty and wont touch the system unless they have to, hence why they told him to take it to Best Buy. Why did it not play games? You never actually said that your bro tried to load Linux onto the system which made it crash. Or is it assumed that he did?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The geek factor, I guess. I haven't heard of any issues with linux on ps3 asside from the one mentioned in this thread. Sony endorses the installation of linux on the ps3 AND the ps2... Remember the linux kit for ps2? Personally I don't see how there would be an issue since it was Sony's vision that the ps3 could double as a full-fledged computer as well. I will definitely do more research on potential issues, including calling Sony about it. It would be nice to have a 4th computer in the apartment...
lol

i guess i just wont ever understand
i have extra computers like woah. they're all sitting in boxes in an extra room at work.. yet i dont want any more

the desktop i do have at home never gets used. my laptop is pretty much my only computer.

Remember the linux kit for ps2?
i remember okami for ps2, that was cool
i'm still playing persona 4 for ps2, that's also cool

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't see the point in changing the OS either, I'm sure I'll upgrade the hd sooner or later though.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
lol

i guess i just wont ever understand
i have extra computers like woah. they're all sitting in boxes in an extra room at work.. yet i dont want any more

the desktop i do have at home never gets used. my laptop is pretty much my only computer.

i remember okami for ps2, that was cool
i'm still playing persona 4 for ps2, that's also cool
it's a geek/nerd thing i guess. i love computers and having lots of them. computer networking is my thing, and having more devices being used in more ways than one is a plus for me =) to me, being able to install linux on the ps3 is basically unlocking the hidden potential of the machine. the linux community has figured out how to interface with the RSX graphics processor as well as how to utilize the multiple parts of the cell broadband engine. one of the louder pitches affecting me on this is how sony has actually built-in this functionality into the firmware and XMB. it's literally begging me to install linux.

and yes, persona ftw. let's hope they resurrect plans for the ps3 version. as for the ps2 linux kit, the official page is gone, but there's always the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

I don't see the point in changing the OS either, I'm sure I'll upgrade the hd sooner or later though.
i'll be dropping in a larger hdd once prices start dropping. for now, the 80gb will suffice, and i have an extra drive i put in an external case (for the usb connectors) ready to back everything up.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and yes, persona ftw. let's hope they resurrect plans for the ps3 version.

i'm actually hoping they dont

it would shut out allot of people i know from playing the game.

if they did it for both systems it would be ok, only the ps3 version would be more expensive and the graphics would be nothing but ported ps2 graphics... so everyone with a ps3 could just buy the ps2 version for less money and turn on smoothing... and viola, no reason to buy the ps3 version

i just dont think the ps3 is a viable platform to switch to right now

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
everyone with a ps2-reverse-compatible ps3, you mean... or owners or both systems. our ps2 is broken... i'd love it for both systems if they designed it for ps3 and downscaled it for the ps2 release.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
everyone with a ps2-reverse-compatible ps3, you mean... or owners or both systems. our ps2 is broken... i'd love it for both systems if they designed it for ps3 and downscaled it for the ps2 release.
i forgot they took out backwards compatibility :lol:

eh, when they redesign games for other platforms, they usually throw in a bunch of new features that end up bogging down the game and/or ruining all of the redeeming features that drew you to the game in the first place.

i doubt persona for the ps3 would be turn based, and the graphics would probably be improved, but at the cost of story development.... especially if they were going multi-platform with it.
seeing as how graphics are of no concern regarding the persona series, switching emphasis could/would have catastrophic consequences.

do you know disgaea? could you imagine it for ps3?
it would be NOTHING like it's predecessors

and a good number of the people i know who play this game cannot afford a $400 system just to play a $60 game. so it would lose it's appeal even further.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
disgaea 3 is on ps3, so no need to imagine... but i know what u mean. :lol:

saw this today... good deal or wait it out?

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would've been all over that. It's a great game, did you get it?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I would've been all over that. It's a great game, did you get it?
not yet. blockbuster's got 3 copies of it at that price so i'm not hard pressed to get it right this instant. my girl is a HUGE soul calibur fan so i'm still debating between getting her this used copy or buying her the collector's tin for $70

did i tell u guys i got GT5P used from blockbuster for $20? they have such great pricing on used games!!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
did i tell u guys i got GT5P used from blockbuster for $20? they have such great pricing on used games!!
overpriced imo :D

i got it for free, i still feel like i got ripped off

well... if you ever need a second copy, pay shipping and it's yours

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
overpriced imo :D

i got it for free, i still feel like i got ripped off

well... if you ever need a second copy, pay shipping and it's yours
wish u would've told me this a week ago before i sprung the $20 for it lol. i might have take you up on that offer though.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im torn here... i can go buy ps3 today and have like $50 to my name until thursday... or i can wait til thursday and not have to worry about money. what would you guys do lol

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
$50 til thursday isn't bad. i've gone over a week with much less.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
right you are anfrey

now the debate is about which game i should get first... i was thinking littlebigplanet, GTA4, COD4, or Metal Gear Solid

also for those who are thinking about buying ps3 soon... dell.com has a deal right now where they are selling the 80gb console for 15% off ($60)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm not one for shooters, so i will recommend you get LBP first =) it's a very fun and addictive game. even if you don't get any games right away, there's a bunch of demos that will keep you entertained for hours.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im torn here... i can go buy ps3 today and have like $50 to my name until thursday... or i can wait til thursday and not have to worry about money. what would you guys do lol
That's what I did after Christmas... whatever just work, come home and chill then work. It's only a week. Oh and brown bag it the rest of the week, that's my problem.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
right you are anfrey

now the debate is about which game i should get first... i was thinking littlebigplanet, GTA4, COD4, or Metal Gear Solid

also for those who are thinking about buying ps3 soon... dell.com has a deal right now where they are selling the 80gb console for 15% off ($60)
GTA4 if you've never played it! COD4 is really great if you like shooters and LBP is good to just chill.