[B]Oil Consumption[/B]

Necrofiend

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oil Consumption

i have a 1990 honda civic hatchback, with the 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC (D16A6) motor in my car. have no visable leaks, and nothing left on the ground after sitting idle or parked, but i noticed one day after i started my car and let it run idle for a little bit it was spitting oil out of the exhaust but after a while it stopped and havent been able to see it do it again, but the oil level drops fast! just trying to get some ideas of what this might be and hope that i can fix it easily.

Last edited:

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dood...giv it up...you cant use vB tags in the title......

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it is just leaking it out the exhaust it's probably the exhaust valve seals.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of the EF9. That is just a 4th gen thing mang. Just keep feeding it cheap oil until you swap it. I also heard that that Lucas stuff can help.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ProjectSi said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of the EF9. That is just a 4th gen thing mang. Just keep feeding it cheap oil until you swap it. I also heard that that Lucas stuff can help.
ED7 to be exact, not a EF9, EF9's were only the jdm sir's, not the usdm cars, teh usdm si which he has is a ED7, learn this and you'll be happy.

it's either your valve seals or piston rings leaking, this happens after about 14-16 years on a si motor, the fun will begin from here.

1sckcvc

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rings or valve seals...does your car smoke at all? Go get a compression test..that will tell you if your rings are going bad. If everything is good there then most likely its your valve seals. not too expensive to get a head rebuilt..maybe couple hundred bucks.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
1sckcvc said:
rings or valve seals...does your car smoke at all? Go get a compression test..that will tell you if your rings are going bad. If everything is good there then most likely its your valve seals. not too expensive to get a head rebuilt..maybe couple hundred bucks.
trust me it's more then a couple hundred, unless you have a cheap ass shop do it.

1sckcvc

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had my head completely rebuilt for 300 bucks and it wasnt a cheap ass shop..i just dont let myself get dry-f**ked in the ass on labor costs like most people.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
then he needs to go where you did.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
ED7 to be exact, not a EF9, EF9's were only the jdm sir's, not the usdm cars, teh usdm si which he has is a ED7, learn this and you'll be happy.

it's either your valve seals or piston rings leaking, this happens after about 14-16 years on a si motor, the fun will begin from here.
Really? My exhaust was for an EF9. Guess I just luked out and it fit. But either way, I am just waiting for this thing to die. New motor time.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
QUOTE] lol, alot of people say there ED is an EF. i have an ED, but people come up to me talking about there EF they have (but they dont really its an ED)i correct them....

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ProjectSi said:
Really? My exhaust was for an EF9. Guess I just luked out and it fit. But either way, I am just waiting for this thing to die. New motor time.
the EF9 thing is hype teh aftermarket uses cause it's teh jdm, lol even though the exhuast is the same for hatches except the std, got to remember we live in the US not Japan, so our chassis codes are ED's, it's even in our vin numbers.

Last edited:

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
the EF9 thing is hype teh aftermarket uses cause it's teh jdm, lol even though the exhuast is the same for hatches except the std, got to remember we live in the US not Japan, so our chassis codes are ED's, it's even in our vin numbesr.
Well that explains it. Now I just have to decide weather to go b16 or ZC. But I won't go there right now. =)

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ProjectSi said:
Well that explains it. Now I just have to decide weather to go b16 or ZC. But I won't go there right now. =)
everyone will always say go b16, but the choice is yours.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From what I hear, your ZC is perdy kikass. And lots cheaper too. But I think I have some time to fugure it out. I am just a little over 100k.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
with 100k your motor is still young.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ZC is da s**t, and i got the SI midpipe on my STD hatch...had to chop the one mounting hook off right by the rear flange.
the ZC is a good motor, most say its overrated, i dont think it is, but if you have the mony and time to do B16 do it, but ZC is like the easiest. and yes there are plenty of aftermarket stuff for the ZC, i have a list. theres more for the B16 tho.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It is young, but I drive the hell out of it. lol

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
somehow i dont think your oil would make out your exhaust. with the extremely high temperatures of the exhaust piping and screens in the cat and muffler it would either be burned up before it made it out or trapped in the cat or muffler. the amount of oil in a vavle seal or valve guide leak would not amount to the amount you speak of.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
bklynEG said:
somehow i dont think your oil would make out your exhaust. with the extremely high temperatures of the exhaust piping and screens in the cat and muffler it would either be burned up before it made it out or trapped in the cat or muffler. the amount of oil in a vavle seal or valve guide leak would not amount to the amount you speak of.
anything is possible with what we do to cars now at days, let's see gutted cat, or no cat, stragiht through design mufflers,14-16 year old civic si, if not coming out, then it's burning alot, i know this first hand and it's why i got my swap done.