[B]Oil Consumption[/B]

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
ED7 to be exact, not a EF9, EF9's were only the jdm sir's, not the usdm cars, teh usdm si which he has is a ED7, learn this and you'll be happy.

it's either your valve seals or piston rings leaking, this happens after about 14-16 years on a si motor, the fun will begin from here.
gee, this sounds like what i explain to people thinkin that all 6th gen hatches are EK9s :roll:

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
SeanJohn1802 said:
gee, this sounds like what i explain to people thinkin that all 6th gen hatches are EK9s :roll:
yes i know and yet i get tired of it, but no one ever listen's, lol, but 0h-well just a on going battle.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Necrofiend said:
i have a 1990 honda civic hatchback, with the 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC (D16A6) motor in my car. have no visable leaks, and nothing left on the ground after sitting idle or parked, but i noticed one day after i started my car and let it run idle for a little bit it was spitting oil out of the exhaust but after a while it stopped and havent been able to see it do it again, but the oil level drops fast! just trying to get some ideas of what this might be and hope that i can fix it easily.
Sounds like your car is burning oil when the car is under normal operating temperature.(Before its warmed up). If you see blueish smoke right when you start your car its caused from faulty valve seals. If it does give off a puff of smoke thats because oil puddles up behind the valve or in teh combustion chamber then burns off once started.

Now your car may not burn oil once the engine gets to its operating temperature. (the parts expand and create the natural seal.)

Plus most leaks are internal and are burned off during combustion.

5thGenCX said:
If it is just leaking it out the exhaust it's probably the exhaust valve seals.
You have teh concept right but it dosent necassarily mean its the exhaust valves.

B16A2_CIVIC

Think. Feel. Drvie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^ Agree

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
B16A2_CIVIC said:
^^^^ Agree
:werd:

Im just a Automotive Analysis & Repair student. With years of experience.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
Sounds like your car is burning oil when the car is under normal operating temperature.(Before its warmed up). If you see blueish smoke right when you start your car its caused from faulty valve seals. If it does give off a puff of smoke thats because oil puddles up behind the valve or in teh combustion chamber then burns off once started.

Now your car may not burn oil once the engine gets to its operating temperature. (the parts expand and create the natural seal.)

Plus most leaks are internal and are burned off during combustion.

You have teh concept right but it dosent necassarily mean its the exhaust valves.
when my seals were leaking, my car smoked no matter what operating temp it was at, and this was during the summer, lol, then it died in august, thus the new motor is a b18, and thank god it doesn't smoke.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
when my seals were leaking, my car smoked no matter what operating temp it was at, and this was during the summer, lol, then it died in august, thus the new motor is a b18, and thank god it doesn't smoke.
That can happen, it just determines how bad the condition is. But most cases arent as extreame as your was.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
That can happen, it just determines how bad the condition is. But most cases arent as extreame as your was.
hey it was fun leaving those tail gating me in a cloud of smoke, lol.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
hey it was fun leaving those tail gating me in a cloud of smoke, lol.
hahaha..I can see that now..

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a cat, and I still throw oil when it is cold.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you sure its oil, and not condensation (water) that is black and looks like oil... thats normal.get some pics.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
91 Hatchie said:
are you sure its oil, and not condensation (water) that is black and looks like oil... thats normal.get some pics.
this could be very possible.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it happends to all cars, if you ever see a car wiwhat looks to be water leaking out the exhaust, hink its unburned fule or something, but its just condensation, thats why you shouldt rev your engine high when its cold, becouse the engine hasent had time to heat and expand so "blow-by" gets by the rings and into your oil, and when water and oil mixes, what happends, bad oil= less lubrication. but condensation might just be your problem, unless you have to fill it up a whole lot, then its leaking.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
91 Hatchie said:
That is true. The carbon deposits. A lot of water does actually build up in a exhaust system after the car is turned off.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
91 Hatchie said:
it happends to all cars, if you ever see a car wiwhat looks to be water leaking out the exhaust, hink its unburned fule or something, but its just condensation, thats why you shouldt rev your engine high when its cold, becouse the engine hasent had time to heat and expand so "blow-by" gets by the rings and into your oil, and when water and oil mixes, what happends, bad oil= less lubrication. but condensation might just be your problem, unless you have to fill it up a whole lot, then its leaking.
Thats not really the problem when revving you rcar when its cold. Its because the oil isnt warm enough to operate suffenciently.

Castrol just came out with a new oil called Castrol Start Up. Apparently it has magnetic molecules that will lubicate the engine as soon as its started. its hard to explain. Plus its also a Syntec Blend.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
Thats not really the problem when revving you rcar when its cold. Its because the oil isnt warm enough to operate suffenciently.

Castrol just came out with a new oil called Castrol Start Up. Apparently it has magnetic molecules that will lubicate the engine as soon as its started. its hard to explain. Plus its also a Syntec Blend.
sounds like a oil i might want to switch too.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
sounds like a oil i might want to switch too.
Its pretty god. Plus if your engine is under (If I remember right) 12,000 miles and you have been using Castrol the whole time (Just say syou have), Castrol will warranty your engine.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
Its pretty god. Plus if your engine is under (If I remember right) 12,000 miles and you have been using Castrol the whole time (Just say syou have), Castrol will warranty your engine.
now that's a good deal, and with my car this would be good since i drive about a mile to work and back home, so it doesn't even get alot of time to even warm up, i'm seeing this as being bad since there is less oil in the overall motor, which is causing more friction and premature wear and death eventually.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
now that's a good deal, and with my car this would be good since i drive about a mile to work and back home, so it doesn't even get alot of time to even warm up, i'm seeing this as being bad since there is less oil in the overall motor, which is causing more friction and premature wear and death eventually.
:werd: Someoone I can finally talk to and both of use understand each other. I;d give ya a kiss if you wesnt a man.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats why you should atleast let your car warm up in the mornin, or when ever its cold, but if your car is eating oil bad (you constantly have to refill it) the you have leak or a bad seal somewhere.