b16a2 vs d16y8

whitechoc1

white chocolate
5+ Year Member
is the only diffirence between the engines the two cams or is it more. where does the b16a2 get its power from. and how can you build a d16y8 to get that kind of power.

chinkskater

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BOOST AND NAAAWWWssss

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whitechoc1 said:
is the only diffirence between the engines the two cams or is it more. where does the b16a2 get its power from. and how can you build a d16y8 to get that kind of power.
the differance between them is more than just a cam, you also have Compression Ratio and Rod Stroke Ratio

Turbo nitrous and or a supercharger will make you faster than a b16

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
better intake flow, better exhuast, headers, compression ratio and defintely twin cam.... i'd rather choose a b16 over a d series aniday...I love the vtec on the 6th gen Si's....they scream..like crazy...

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bmoua said:
better intake flow, better exhuast, headers, compression ratio and defintely twin cam.... i'd rather choose a b16 over a d series aniday...I love the vtec on the 6th gen Si's....they scream..like crazy...
its alright. but id choose any b series non vtec over a d series also

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my d16y8 is exact comperable to my buddies LS teg til about 90 then he slowly pulls... boost a D16... they are a dime a dozen making them easily replaceable. plus they have alot of cheap parts for boost such as vitara pistons

whitechoc1

white chocolate
5+ Year Member
Rubixcu7 said:
my d16y8 is exact comperable to my buddies LS teg til about 90 then he slowly pulls... boost a D16... they are a dime a dozen making them easily replaceable. plus they have alot of cheap parts for boost such as vitara pistons
would it make a diffirence if it is an automatic transmission. what should i do, i alredy have intake and headers on the engine

richocet1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whitechoc1 said:
would it make a diffirence if it is an automatic transmission. what should i do, i alredy have intake and headers on the engine
do a tranny swap....and i know, this coming from the man who tried to find any way possible to make an automatic faster. for the amount of money, you can tranny swap and build it versus going with a completely rebuilt auto tranny.

i way to look at it is, what are your power goals. if your looking for like 200 hp or so, stay with the d, save the money of a swap. the d series is not as bad as people make it out to be. for the money of a swap, you can build a d that will squash n/a b-series all day.

there is a good amount of aftermarket support for a d-series as well. i recommend piecing together a turbo kit, getting a obd1 conversion harness, and run a chipped ecu (either turboedit, chrome or ubderdata). its the cheapest way to go and most likely the easiest way to tune and get the full hp gains out of the turbo.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm an all-motor guy so I did the B16 in my car. But cost vs HP, turboing your single cam will give you the best bang for the buck. But if your planning on doing more than 8 psi of boost, i would HIGHLY recommend building the motor. Rods like to be thrown more so on a d-series than a b-series (as said above, rod-stroke ration) as i speak from experience, doh!

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a bent d15b rod with a cracked piston in my room... it came out of my buddies motor... snapped one rod and bent the other 3... d series rods are kinda pewney... well these were...