B18b into 2000 hatch - Not running right! PLEASE help! WATCH VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidivory

seriously sounds out of time, have you checked it, your timing, if you are unfamiliar with the dohc timing it can be a little tricky? Just a question, also I had a chipped ecu once that sounded like that when giving it gas.One of my solders didn't hold and that's what my car sounded like. I know you don't have a Chipped ecu but going back to the whole Y8 harness, there could be an issue there. you said you are just not using the plugs for the vtec stuff, well that could very well be your problem these harnesses run in sync so if you don't have one of your plugs in it could be throwing off your ground or something?? I just think that if you have the Y7 harness you should throw that in and do the one little rewire, sounds better to me than to have a harness with left overs??

kidivory

Oh Yeah,just one more thing, I was going over this post in my head after posting above and did you say you have a check engine light on? Well if you do what is the code, what is the ECU telling you it is?

kidivory

ok I just went over your link to jdmuniverse thread and I could be wrong but it sounds to me like he is telling you how to hook up a vtec motor, so using the Y8 would only be helpful if you had to wire up for vtec, since the Y8 harness is already wired for vtec. This is from the tag you gave;

You can go about the wiring 1 of 3 ways:

Option #1:
-Utilize your stock CX/DX/LX Wiring harness

Option #2:

You will need:
-99-00 Civic EX engine harness (DO NOT GET AN AUTO EX HARNESS, ONLY A 5-speed harness)

Option #3:

You will need:
-99-00 Civic Si engine harness

You chose #2 correct? Well read this and tell me if it makes sense to you if wiring for a non vtec motor?

If you do Option #2

-Steps A-D are already integrated into the factory EX harness.
-Steps E-G will still need to be done.

Now take a look at Steps A-D

a) Run a grn/yellow wire from ECU pin B12 to the VTEC solenoid (VTEC B-series only)
b) Run a blue/blk wire from ECU pin C10 to the VTEC pressure switch (VTEC B-series only)
c) Run a red/blue wire from ECU C3 to the Knock sensor (VTEC B-series only)
d) IACV plug will need to be switched from a 3-wire to a 2-wire version and some ECU wires need to be moved around.
-On the "B" ECU plug, remove the blk/blue wire from pin B6 and move it to pin B23

A lot of Vtec wiring going on there for a non vtec motor? Also like UCCRACING stated if you stuck with the stock Y7 harness you would just have to rewire for the IACV, well this is from the same instructions you are using;

-On the same "B" ECU plug, De-pin B15 and wrap with electrical tape, it is no longer needed.
-Either cut off your new B-series harness or find a B-series IACV plug.
-On the civic 3-wire plug, de-pin the orange wire and wrap it up with electrical tape, it is not needed.
-From the 3-wire civic plug, cut+splice the yellow/blk wire onto the grn/blk wire on the new 2-wire plug.
-From the 3-wire civic plug, cut+splice the blk/blue wire onto the blk wire on the new 2-wire plug.
e) Run a wire (think its a pink/blue wire not sure though) from ECU pin B16 to the IAB sensor (GSR only)

Sounds to me like you still have to rewire for Iacv so I could be wrong but it is something to ponder, at least if this was my install this is where I would be heading, you said you have been down with this car for over 2 weeks now, well if I were you I would change out harnesses, what could it hurt? let me know as I too am interested in your build.

EKHatchB18B1

ok I just went over your link to jdmuniverse thread and I could be wrong but it sounds to me like he is telling you how to hook up a vtec motor, so using the Y8 would only be helpful if you had to wire up for vtec, since the Y8 harness is already wired for vtec. This is from the tag you gave;

You can go about the wiring 1 of 3 ways:

Option #1:
-Utilize your stock CX/DX/LX Wiring harness

Option #2:

You will need:
-99-00 Civic EX engine harness (DO NOT GET AN AUTO EX HARNESS, ONLY A 5-speed harness)

Option #3:

You will need:
-99-00 Civic Si engine harness

You chose #2 correct? Well read this and tell me if it makes sense to you if wiring for a non vtec motor?

If you do Option #2

-Steps A-D are already integrated into the factory EX harness.
-Steps E-G will still need to be done.

Now take a look at Steps A-D

a) Run a grn/yellow wire from ECU pin B12 to the VTEC solenoid (VTEC B-series only)
b) Run a blue/blk wire from ECU pin C10 to the VTEC pressure switch (VTEC B-series only)
c) Run a red/blue wire from ECU C3 to the Knock sensor (VTEC B-series only)
d) IACV plug will need to be switched from a 3-wire to a 2-wire version and some ECU wires need to be moved around.
-On the "B" ECU plug, remove the blk/blue wire from pin B6 and move it to pin B23

A lot of Vtec wiring going on there for a non vtec motor? Also like UCCRACING stated if you stuck with the stock Y7 harness you would just have to rewire for the IACV, well this is from the same instructions you are using;

-On the same "B" ECU plug, De-pin B15 and wrap with electrical tape, it is no longer needed.
-Either cut off your new B-series harness or find a B-series IACV plug.
-On the civic 3-wire plug, de-pin the orange wire and wrap it up with electrical tape, it is not needed.
-From the 3-wire civic plug, cut+splice the yellow/blk wire onto the grn/blk wire on the new 2-wire plug.
-From the 3-wire civic plug, cut+splice the blk/blue wire onto the blk wire on the new 2-wire plug.
e) Run a wire (think its a pink/blue wire not sure though) from ECU pin B16 to the IAB sensor (GSR only)

Sounds to me like you still have to rewire for Iacv so I could be wrong but it is something to ponder, at least if this was my install this is where I would be heading, you said you have been down with this car for over 2 weeks now, well if I were you I would change out harnesses, what could it hurt? let me know as I too am interested in your build.
we did that all we tried it first with the y7 but it ran like s*** same as it does now so we thought we messed up then used the d16y8.... since we didnt have to convert anything it was all plug and play...... shouldnt have to rewire since using the d16y8 its only 2 wire for the iacv which is what the integra is...

EKHatchB18B1

Oh Yeah,just one more thing, I was going over this post in my head after posting above and did you say you have a check engine light on? Well if you do what is the code, what is the ECU telling you it is?
yes got iacv cel which is code 14.... not sure why we getting it... we get that code on the obd1 b18b ecu.

kidivory

Okay one last shot here have you tried looking at the plugs to the iacv and make sure you don't have the wrong plug plugged in there, I know on my Y7 there are two plugs that are exactly the same and can be switched, Make sure the plug on the power steering solenoid is green not grey? just recheck all your plugs and vacuum It sounds like you are almost there just have something off, maybe check to make sure you have the right TB and or TB gasket?

EKHatchB18B1

Okay one last shot here have you tried looking at the plugs to the iacv and make sure you don't have the wrong plug plugged in there, I know on my Y7 there are two plugs that are exactly the same and can be switched, Make sure the plug on the power steering solenoid is green not grey? just recheck all your plugs and vacuum It sounds like you are almost there just have something off, maybe check to make sure you have the right TB and or TB gasket?
the y8 iacv plug is right... got no power steering and plugs are all in and we did vac test with vac gauge and it was good.... its right tb due to it was on teg didnt change it

kidivory

I understand that the plug fits into the iacv but what I am trying to say is that there are 2 plugs that will fit and interchange with each other, so even though all the plugs fit onto all the sensors you could have 2 plugs crisscrossed, does that make sense? and if that isn't your problem then did you recheck your timing! if so what is it set at. If your intake cam is not in time with your exhaust cam it can cause the problem you are having. Let me know what you find, on my civic I found just this weekend that it was a tooth off the whole time I've owned it, and you could not tell as far as how it ran or idled but with a sohc motor being a tooth off is much different then with a dohc motor, when my timing was off 1 tooth when I made an idle adjustment it threw an iacv code for me as well. it was very touchy as the timing and idle were adjusted with the timing off. Just throwing some more ideas at you.

kidivory

just looked again at your recent vid and noticed that the dizzy is almost in the middle, I have never had my dizzy's adjusted there, mine were always more advanced, or maybe i have poor eye sight. also when you start it it takes longer than it should to start and is starting hard, these all point to some type of timing issue or tps issue!!

kidivory

the y8 iacv plug is right... got no power steering and plugs are all in and we did vac test with vac gauge and it was good.... its right tb due to it was on teg didnt change it
How do you know for sure it is right, not trying to say you don't know what your doing but how do you know for sure, because it fits?

EKHatchB18B1

How do you know for sure it is right, not trying to say you don't know what your doing but how do you know for sure, because it fits?
we followed the steps on the forums... it says that we dont gotta modify it....but never know ill new to hondas my buddy thats helping has done couple swaps.ill point him this way.

RonJ

Banned
Sorry, but I did not take time to read through all of the posts. I also wasn't able to view the video (page not found error).

B18b1 engine swap?

Your stock 00 Civic hatch had an OBD2b ECU and wire harness. Was the EX wire harness you installed OBD2b or OBD2a? What OBD2 ---> OBD1 conversion harness did you use?

Code 14 is mentioned, which would only cause an idle problem. Do you only have only an idle problem or do you have other engine performance problems?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hardcore97 on here is another person you can talk to. He has a B18b in his ej/ek

Status
Not open for further replies.