B7 vs Z6 block, which is best to use with mini me swap??

jdmjml

Hello, I just recently got some Z6 head work done. 3 angle valve job, pnp, .010 milled, and new valvetrain.
My question is should i use the block in my 92 DX hatch i have now or swap out with the Z6 bottom end i have? The B7 block has 160xxx and the Z6 is unknown. I got it from a bud and the water pump seized on it so i would probably have to/want to rebuild it. Im just wondering if it would be worth it to stick in extra money in the Z6 bottom end or should i just slap this head on my B7 block? What kind of hp & torque difference would i see? I plan on ordering a gsr in spring as well just looking to get by for now. This mini me is taking place because of a blown headgasket. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

95coupeEX

If you are ordering the GSR in the spring I would just go ahead and put the z6 head on your block. It will be a LOT easier then pulling your engine and swapping it when your are doing a swap in like 4-5 months anyways. Just my opinion though.

Carson24

if i am correct the B7 you are refrencing is a d15 not? if so i would rather use the z6 block to match the head, i would just buy a gasket and bearing kit and have the cylinders honed and id say good beings that u dont know the milage and how its been treated. a gasket and bearing kit costs about 100-200 depending on if u are getting new pistons or not. If you put alot of money in the head y use a garbage block right?

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Z6 head on a Z6 block is a Z6 swap not a mini me. you would have to use the d15 block for it to be a mini me and if you are swapping to a b series soon anyway why bother?

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Z6 head on a Z6 block is a Z6 swap not a mini me. you would have to use the d15 block for it to be a mini me and if you are swapping to a b series soon anyway why bother?
^^^ this

Ideally the oil ports on the Z6 head need to be flow matched a little to the different block. Cheaper to just put the head on the motor it goes to.

jdmjml

Thanks for the input guys. and the point is kuz my B7 head isnt sealing to the block. its poring oil down the backside of the block. but the cars gona sit now til the GSR anyway. and im also building a Z6 for a buddy and im using p29 pistons, whats the best headgasket to use? he wants it fast but its still gona be a daily. the heads been milled ten thousandths also.