Best Air Intake??

adams00civic

00civic
5+ Year Member
so the filters that come with the ebay intakes are no good and you need to get a name brand filter is that correct

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so the filters that come with the ebay intakes are no good and you need to get a name brand filter is that correct
That's what most people do. The philosophy is that an air filter is a relatively complicated and important part, while the Chinese have a hard time messing up a pipe. If your air filter craps out, you can get rocks and such in your engine which'll blow it right up. So most people like to go safe on the air filter by buying a name brand.

Did anyone else notice this (almost useless) thread has been revived from the dead twice?

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
A homemade turbo kit can be just as reliable and put out just as much power, if not more, than a brand name turbo kit. People do it all the time. I've priced one together before too in the past when I had a clue what it consisted of. It can cost under $1000.

Also, not everyone lives in California. People outside Cali can get away with no-name I/H/E parts. If you can't afford a turbo but want aftermarket performance parts, I/H/E is the most basic thing you can do. But is it honestly worth the power you gain? Not at all. Which is why people recommend no-name parts.
I was only referring to turbo kits in California...I have no name parts on my car, with the exception of my DC header. Since I live in California, and I would like to keep my car somewhat street legal, I would have to go with the name brand (GReddy) kit. If I didn't care about street legality, and since I know someone in the smog world, I could piece together a turbo kit for probably the $1,200 stated before. I was only speaking of legality and 00civicsiturbo's comments, not hp, $$'s, or anything else...

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
Or how about a homemade turbo kit with a greddy carb plaque ;)
This would work I suppose unless you get a smart cop. If the cop did the research and looked up that specific CARB number, you'd be screwed, but the chances of a cop taking the time look up the info is probably slim to none. I have been looking for an AEM carb plaque for my no name intake with no luck.