Better Handling

djyohimbe

I have a 2004 Civic GX. It handles like a boat. I just replaced the shocks with Koni Oranges, and that made somewhat of an improvement, but it still feels pretty sludgy...likely b/c the frame is flexing too much.

I use this car to drive for work about 1000 miles a month, almost all freeway, and I don't want to lower it or make it look modified.

Any advice on what to add?

civic49

Not really going to get noticeably better handling without lowering the cars center of gravity but get front and rear strut bars and that should make it a little bit better but not great

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I have a 2004 Civic GX. It handles like a boat. I just replaced the shocks with Koni Oranges, and that made somewhat of an improvement, but it still feels pretty sludgy...likely b/c the frame is flexing too much.

I use this car to drive for work about 1000 miles a month, almost all freeway, and I don't want to lower it or make it look modified.

Are there alot of corners on this freeway? If you dont want it to be lower or not look modified then just sail your boat the way it is and enjoy the fact you dont yell "oh f**k" when you bottom out on a bump the size of a snickers

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just lower it an inch onto some hard springs and call it good

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Strut bars, and sway bars are an option. There are also springs out there that will stiffen up the ride a bit without lowering the car or lowering one inch or half an inch. I think even up to one inch won't be very noticeable and half inch, no One would be able to tell.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its like a boat, I am assuming you feel the car rolling, answer for that is to get a strut bar, not sure how many you need in your year of car, for mine i got one in the hood, trunk and lower rear. helps to stabilize rolling. got them for $25 bucks each, pretty cheap. definetely cheaper than buying other springs.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tein H-tech springs are noted to lower your car .7" in the front and .8" in the rear.

Upgraded sway bars i think might be what your looking for though. it just give you less body roll with some good sway bars and no need to lower it.
Strut bars would be what i would do after the sway bars if your still not happy.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if its like a boat, I am assuming you feel the car rolling, answer for that is to get a strut bar, not sure how many you need in your year of car, for mine i got one in the hood, trunk and lower rear. helps to stabilize rolling. got them for $25 bucks each, pretty cheap. definetely cheaper than buying other springs.
hmmm, then maybe try a strut bar before sway bar. They are very easy to install and apparently fairly cheap.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

About a 1"-1.25" drop isn't going to be very noticeable to most people. There are springs for your car that will lower about that much while still maintaining a relatively smooth, but much more sporty ride. The Koni Oranges you got are great struts, however they will not improve handling very much. Shocks control the movement of the suspension, they don't really make it "stiffer".

The springs I'd suggest looking into are:

Eibach Pro-Kit
H&R Sport
Koni Sport

I believe the H&R Sport springs would probably be the stiffest spring out of those 3 and they drop the car around 1.3" all around. You'll definitely get the most noticeable change in handling with these but also probably the harshest ride, though I'm quite sure it'll still be bearable for your commute. These springs are also mid-price of those 3 at about $190(TireRack price).

The Koni Sport springs are probably similar to the H&R Springs, they drop about the same amount and I can only assume that the spring rates are similar. However they are a little cheaper at about $175(TireRack price). These springs I'm sure would be a perfect match for the Koni shocks you have.

The Eibach Pro-Kit offers the most mild drop out of the 3 at about 1" all around. They probably also have the softest spring rates making for a much more comfortable ride, but less aggressive than the other 2. These springs are also the most expensive(by just a little) at around $200(TireRack price).

The best way to make a fairly significant change in handling without changing ride high is to upgrade your swaybars. Going to larger swaybars will cost about the same as the lowering springs I mentioned and, depending on the sizes, could potentially get the same effect as the lowering springs. The benefit would be that you will not sacrifice ride height or ride comfort in any way as swaybars are effective only during cornering.

A cheap, but also the least effective, way to improve handling is using strut/tie bars. They can be had for a decent price but they also will not make a drastic improvement in handling. Probably not quite as much as what you're looking for. Either springs or swaybars would be an absolute first choice over these.

Not really going to get noticeably better handling without lowering the cars center of gravity but get front and rear strut bars and that should make it a little bit better but not great
There's a few things you can do without lowering the car that will make the car handle worlds better. Swaybars, strut/tie bars, bushings, alignment, camber bolts/plates, and probably most importantly tires.

Strut bars do not reduce roll or pitch, they simply reduce flex. They aren't very essential to making a car handle better.

hmmm, then maybe try a strut bar before sway bar. They are very easy to install and apparently fairly cheap.
Swaybar> strut bar.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
change your bushings as well. iv heard changing the old worn out bushings will improve a ton

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Strut bars do not reduce roll or pitch, they simply reduce flex. They aren't very essential to making a car handle better.

Swaybar> strut bar.
That's what i thought. I never added a strut bar to my civic so i wouldn't know what kind of difference it makes. My del sol has one, but i have nothing to compare it to because its always been on there. I did add a sway bar to my civic and did feel a difference on hard cornering. Thanks for the input.

djyohimbe

Thanks for the advice. Sway bars seem to be the way to go. So here's the catch: I looked under my car today and it has NO SWAY BARS! No holes drilled for them either, so I'm not exactly comfortable about trying to install them. For a car with it's gas tank located in the trunk, Honda should have done something extra to stabilize the car, but instead they made it less stable by removing the sway bars. Go figure.

Car has new tires on it, so I guess I'm going to have to lower it, as strut bars should make little difference.

Are the Tien H-techs the least amount of drop, and do they improve handling without sacrificing the ride too much?

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sway bars should be pretty straight forward and easy to install. Well at least the rear. Even if yours doesnt have one I think it should be a plug and play thing. You're actually eliminating a step by not having to remove your old one!
That was the case in my 97 that I added a rear sway bar to and yours should be very similar.

I've heard the Stechs are pretty comparable to stock and give a smooth ride and those drop over an inch and I think are stiffer. You should be good with Htechs.

Btw, post pics of your car!!!

Especially before and after pics if you go with the Htechs.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Sway bars seem to be the way to go. So here's the catch: I looked under my car today and it has NO SWAY BARS! No holes drilled for them either, so I'm not exactly comfortable about trying to install them. For a car with it's gas tank located in the trunk, Honda should have done something extra to stabilize the car, but instead they made it less stable by removing the sway bars. Go figure.

Car has new tires on it, so I guess I'm going to have to lower it, as strut bars should make little difference.

Are the Tien H-techs the least amount of drop, and do they improve handling without sacrificing the ride too much?
I can almost be certain your car has a factory front swaybar. Doing a little research, it seems like it may be around 25mm.

Here's a picture from a Honda parts catalog
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s5a401_b27.png

You very well may not have a stock rear bar, but, I can again almost be certain that you have the holes and controls arms to mount one. I highly doubt you'll have to do anything to put one on. Should be a fairly basic bolt on mod for your car.

Here's another Honda parts catalog picture of the rear suspension for your car. This illustrates a rear swaybar so it must be able to mount one on.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s5a401_b29.png

Tien H-Techs do offer the most mild drop. But they also have the softest springs. Both the difference in drop AND the handling will not be very noticeable. To me it's bot worth getting these springs for any car at all. You will still have a very soft suspension and you will probably feel like you wasted a lot of money for nothing.. I highly suggest considering any of the 3 I mentioned in my previous post: Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R Sports & Koni Sports. Mild but slightly noticeable drop with a good improvement in handling while still maintaining a smooth ride.

Sway bars should be pretty straight forward and easy to install. Well at least the rear. Even if yours doesnt have one I think it should be a plug and play thing. You're actually eliminating a step by not having to remove your old one!
That was the case in my 97 that I added a rear sway bar to and yours should be very similar.

I've heard the Stechs are pretty comparable to stock and give a smooth ride and those drop over an inch and I think are stiffer. You should be good with Htechs.

Btw, post pics of your car!!!

Especially before and after pics if you go with the Htechs.
S.Techs are pretty soft, but they lower the car probably morethan he wants. H-Techs are even softer than S-Techs thus making barely any improvement in handling. Which is why I said they aren't worth it...

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tien H-Techs do offer the most mild drop. But they also have the softest springs. Both the difference in drop AND the handling will not be very noticeable. To me it's bot worth getting these springs for any car at all. You will still have a very soft suspension and you will probably feel like you wasted a lot of money for nothing.. I highly suggest considering any of the 3 I mentioned in my previous post: Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R Sports & Koni Sports. Mild but slightly noticeable drop with a good improvement in handling while still maintaining a smooth ride.

S.Techs are pretty soft, but they lower the car probably morethan he wants. H-Techs are even softer than S-Techs thus making barely any improvement in handling. Which is why I said they aren't worth it...
What about H&R OE springs? aren't those supposed to be stiffer but a mild .25" to .75" drop?
I think i remember hearing about at least a couple companies that made similar springs. I just don't remember which.

EDIT:
Looking for the H&R OE i found this:
http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Make+Guide&SubMode=Find3&MakeID=13

looks like they don't make 7th gen OE springs and seems like if the car didn't come with rear sway bar it can't be added. Of course you can't ALWAYS trust sites like this, but maybe true.