Boost it, or supercharge it?

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not for 2000 tho..
A JRSC is straight bolt on, you can keep all your accessories, stock injectors, stock tune, stock everything.. just replace the intake manifold. A NICE turbo is easily $1,000, injectors are an easy $300, tune is an easy $600, ebay intercooler is a good $200, and you have your turbo manifold, downpipe, wastegate, oil lines, vacuum lines, gauges, etc.. it all adds up fast, especially if you want it to be reliable.

slod16

5+ Year Member
turbo only reason id think of an sc is to get through traffic easier we all kno its hard to do in a car with no torque

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i liked losing traction when boost and vtec hit at the same time!! turbo!!

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on the street, most of the time depending on road conditions. It was just fun. On the track with my slicks, yes. It's like a rocket.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A JRSC is straight bolt on, you can keep all your accessories, stock injectors, stock tune, stock everything.. just replace the intake manifold. A NICE turbo is easily $1,000, injectors are an easy $300, tune is an easy $600, ebay intercooler is a good $200, and you have your turbo manifold, downpipe, wastegate, oil lines, vacuum lines, gauges, etc.. it all adds up fast, especially if you want it to be reliable.
No way, A good turbo set up can be had for the same price as an overpriced 6lb supercharger and still have room for more HP/tq.
www.go-autoworks.com and www.Xenocron.com has everything one would need. Also, I havent researched but, i think the JRSC's for B's are unavailable and used one might need a rebuild.

Thats whats happening to me FML ! all power/no traction

Ahdo

5+ Year Member
http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33371

Wouldn't it be best to supercharge because what the EM1 is missing is torque and low end power, i mean i wont be able to do anything until vtec kicks in? That way, it'll even it out? I'll get best of both worlds if i supercharge it instead of massive power when i wait for vtec to kick in with the turbo. The JRSC is promising 40 lb's more torque and 52 more HP, which is nice isn't it?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a smaller turbo will do the same thing for cheaper tho. you need to compare power bands, not just peak hp and tq gains. 40 more lb-ft of torque is nice, but at what rpm? if its at 2500 rpm then hell yea thats awesome, but at 7k rpm its a waste

Ahdo

5+ Year Member
a smaller turbo will do the same thing for cheaper tho. you need to compare power bands, not just peak hp and tq gains. 40 more lb-ft of torque is nice, but at what rpm? if its at 2500 rpm then hell yea thats awesome
I thought that the JRSC would be giving 40 lb ft torque at any rpm, like it would add on to the 111..to make it a total of 151 lb of torque.

but at 7k rpm its a waste
Don't turbos kick in at a higher rpm? At what rpm does your turbo kick in?

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I thought that the JRSC would be giving 40 lb ft torque at any rpm, like it would add on to the 111..to make it a total of 151 lb of torque.
A supercharger is going to run off a belt from the crank and will not take the time to spool up like a turbo, it will not instantly give you full maximum power gains, it will mostly follow the stock hp and tq curve, just elevated due to forced induction, no honda will have 151 lb/ft at 2000 rpms with 6lbs of boost but since civics do have a flat torque curve it will be mostly linear from the sc and you will have a lot more low end power, on a car with a more dynamic tq curve it will more closely follow that and not be flat. A turbo is nice because once is starts going you can keep it going if you are revving and going through gears. check the jrsc dyno sheet.

http://www.supercharger.com/CustomerService/DynoChart.aspx?Chart=99civicsi.gif

compared to a turbo dyno where you can see the hp/tq curves increase and climb as the turbo reaches its peak power

http://www.dragtimes.com/2000-Honda-Civic-Dyno-Results-Graphs-10591.html

Personally i like the idea of a supercharger better, just quality manufacturing is not always there and for the money you can have a nice turbo and more people and parts to help support you and the life of your turbo.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A supercharger is going to run off a belt from the crank and will not take the time to spool up like a turbo, it will not instantly give you full maximum power gains, it will mostly follow the stock hp and tq curve, just elevated due to forced induction, no honda will have 151 lb/ft at 2000 rpms with 6lbs of boost but since civics do have a flat torque curve it will be mostly linear from the sc and you will have a lot more low end power, on a car with a more dynamic tq curve it will more closely follow that and not be flat. A turbo is nice because once is starts going you can keep it going if you are revving and going through gears. check the jrsc dyno sheet.

http://www.supercharger.com/CustomerService/DynoChart.aspx?Chart=99civicsi.gif

compared to a turbo dyno where you can see the hp/tq curves increase and climb as the turbo reaches its peak power

http://www.dragtimes.com/2000-Honda-Civic-Dyno-Results-Graphs-10591.html

Personally i like the idea of a supercharger better, just quality manufacturing is not always there and for the money you can have a nice turbo and more people and parts to help support you and the life of your turbo.

92CXyD

5+ Year Member
Supercharger is my first choice on this car. Because I've seen '03 Si do well with a JRSC against 10psi or less turbo setups.

If you have some decent fab skills I 'd use a SC14 (84cid) on that car you can use an intercooler and no oil lines to run (because they have their own reservoir) I manage to put together a kit in 2 days.
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0
a little wordy and ghetto but it works awesome

Turbo is more fun for high end power but when you can feel boost at 1k rpms on up it is a lot of fun.:D

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just getting this out there...

To produce power from a supercharger, you must have torque. Torque is twisting and/or turning motion.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is why you see those Domestic cars with like 892734892374 liters with a blower producing 500+hp on a nearly stock motor. While with a Civic... haha funny. Even "K" motors, fully built, with ported blowers and all those goodies, breaking that 400 mark is rare. Awesome, but rare; that's the new magic number out there with our little 4 cylinders trying to break into.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ speaks the truth

jdmblahblahblah

5+ Year Member
hey not tryin to take away from your tread but i have a 91 hatch with a b18 ls 0bd0 swap and im plannin on puttin a supercharger on it within the next 2 months....its a bday present and real cheap so i dont want a bunch of people sayin oh get a turbo instead...i already decided on that...just curious if anyone has like dyno charts for my car...runnin 14.2 right now as is just curious about what ill be runnin for the 1/4 with that beast on there.haha