brake pedal goes to the floor????

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
when i push the brakes on my 93 dx the pedal goes right to the floor..... checked the fluid and there is plenty of fluid in the canister says full. car sat for a while not sure what it could be? maybe just need to bleed the brakes? the front pads and rotors are rusty but dont know if that would all need to replaced?? if someone can please help it would be greatly appreciated....!!!

RonJ

Banned
Try bleeding the brakes and looking for leaks. If the problem persists, replace the master cylinder.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright thats what i wasnt sure of it if could be as simple as bleeding the brakes hope it is lol and another post said that it could be the brake booster or the master cylinder but if its the cylinder it wouldnt have brake fluid in the canister at all if im not mistaken...

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
bleed the brakes and it still drops to the floor...... grabs very little when the pedal is about a half inch from the floor.... really hoping its not the master cylinder anyone else have ne ideas what it might be besides that??

b18ataman

AutoMekanikstress!
5+ Year Member
how did you bleed the brakes?..... do you have access to a scanner by any chance?

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
bled the brakes RR LR RF LF and made sure that there was a good solid stream coming out of the bleeder screw... and what do u mean a scanner?

b18ataman

AutoMekanikstress!
5+ Year Member
where i work if bleeding the brakes normally didn't work, we also tried using a scanner to bleed, and then go from there with further diag., i will say ive never seen it done to a honda though. but i mean i guess u can inquire.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
yeah well ive had a few people tell me it sounds like a master cylinder so i think ill just replace that and let u guys know what happend thanks for the help

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright well i put the new master cylinder in and bled all the brakes again for the third time in the past 3 days and the pedal when i pump it when the car gets stiffer but the second i turn the car on it gets spongey and almost drops to the floor...... can think of what it might be, brake booster, or maybe im just not bleeding the brakes good enough..... if someone could give me there opinion that would be amazing!!! thanks

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
did you try new pads and rotors? lol.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's one of your drum cylinders in your rear brakes. bet...

you can replace them both for around $20 bucks if you do it yourself.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
yes i replaced the front pads and rotors but didnt touch anything in the rear because it doesnt need them as far as i could tell shoes and drums are good, and when i bled them i went RR RL FR FL cause thats how everyone ive talked to said to do it from mechanics to auto part workers. my uncle who has been a mechanic for years said that theres air still in the lines from possibly not gettin it all out of the MC

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the same happened to me, but i was driving on an avenue about 40mph and i had to use the e-brake to stop at the traffic light cuz the brake pad went to the floor, i checked the fluid and it was full, i took it to the mechanic and it was the MC, and i havent had any problem since 2 years ago, you shuld check it

and if i have something written wrong please correct me, cuz my english is still bad

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the rear wheel cylinders like Biz suggested.. If you decide you need a master cylinder, I have one from a 92 dx I am parting out.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the same happened to me, but i was driving on an avenue about 40mph and i had to use the e-brake to stop at the traffic light cuz the brake pad went to the floor, i checked the fluid and it was full, i took it to the mechanic and it was the MC, and i havent had any problem since 2 years ago, you shuld check it

and if i have something written wrong please correct me, cuz my english is still bad
Check the rear wheel cylinders like Biz suggested.. If you decide you need a master cylinder, I have one from a 92 dx I am parting out.
am i the only one that noticed the part about him already replacing the MC?

alright well i put the new master cylinder in and bled all the brakes again for the third time in the past 3 days and the pedal when i pump it when the car gets stiffer but the second i turn the car on it gets spongey and almost drops to the floor...... can think of what it might be, brake booster, or maybe im just not bleeding the brakes good enough..... if someone could give me there opinion that would be amazing!!! thanks

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
lol no kidding ive already said i replaced the MC but hey it happens i miss read stuff all the time lol . so now im just not sure if it could be the rear wheel cylinders or theres air in the lines, im gonna be working on it again tomorrow so i will let u know the outcome, and how would i go about checking the rear wheel cylinders? thanks again for everyone helping out greatly appreciated:lol:

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol no kidding ive already said i replaced the MC but hey it happens i miss read stuff all the time lol . so now im just not sure if it could be the rear wheel cylinders or theres air in the lines, im gonna be working on it again tomorrow so i will let u know the outcome, and how would i go about checking the rear wheel cylinders? thanks again for everyone helping out greatly appreciated:lol:
If they are bad, You will see fluid as soon as you remove the drum