Brak's 98 EX

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Also replaced the terrible Fart Cannon.
it was meant to be temporary when i installed it, but it's become unbearable.

Rock Auto had a Walker "Quiet Flow" muffler on clearance for $35, so i snatched it up...
When it arrived, it was the "Sound FX" model instead :|

Right now, it's pretty Farty, but more of a Wet Fart.
I attribute some of that last part to the fact that i didn't have the correct gasket on hand.

I'll report back, once the leak is resolved.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You got me on the wet fart :D:D:D:D:D

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
replaced the donut gasket today, and the new muffler sounds much better than the old one... below 2k.
once you get above 2500, it starts to get annoying...

This wouldn't be an issue if i had a manual transmission, but the auto likes to hang at 3k before finally shifting...
Also, if i were still in the city, the drone would be unbearable on the freeway.

Either way, good enough for now.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Winter is fast approaching, so it's time to start thinking about what i can accomplish during the next 6 months of hibernation...

I need new CV/Axles, so i may as well do the manual swap at the same time...
Is the S40 the only model? or is there a different model with a preferred gearing?

also, i need to run new brake lines for the rear.
anyone done a rear disc swap? is it possible to find the disc spindles? or do i need to go with scarebird brackets?

Suspension is garbage across the board, so looking at that as well.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have a set of 4 lug SI spindles. Just have to drill out some of the studs that mount the spindles to the trailing arms.

Alternatives is the full DIY route and get S1Built spindles. Same ones I used to convert my Civic to 5 lug.

The S40/S80 as I recall is the standard Integra GS/RS/LS transaxle.

Here is a cool tool for trans ratios. it was originally made by cspeedracing back in the day (long gone now) and ZealAutoworks found and replicated the code for their site.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info. I'll DM you about the spindles.

any time i swap a 5th gen Celica, i find a 6th gen trans, because it has a slightly nicer gear ratio...
but then again, both generations used the same motor.
figured that wasn't the case here, since Honda motors vary so wildly.

on that note, i've been looking for shift links, but everything commercially available is for "B swap"

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
on that note, i've been looking for shift links, but everything commercially available is for "B swap"
If you Honda hydraulic shift linkage, HASPORT sells an upgraded model. Its effectively OEM with a slight change in bend if I recall.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
If you Honda hydraulic shift linkage, HASPORT sells an upgraded model. Its effectively OEM with a slight change in bend if I recall.
I had looked at HASPORT site previously, and only saw B swap links... like this

i assume there is a physical difference between the B and D transmissions?
visually they look similar.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I had looked at HASPORT site previously, and only saw B swap links... like this

i assume there is a physical difference between the B and D transmissions?
visually they look similar.
I am pretty sure it works in a lot of models. Call Hasport, they like answering those types of questions. I still have my set but will be holding on to them.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
did a bunch of digging, and found, the B series shift linkages are longer.
it is possible to use them with a D engine, but the shifter position would be significantly forward.
it's the opposite, if you use D series links with a B engine

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Also called my local Certifit, to get new front sheetmetal...
they're out of the 96-98 hoods, and doesn't look like any more are going to be made...
they had 1 99-00 hood in stock... so i guess my gar is getting a 2000 front end.

I already have the 2k tail lights, so i guess it'll be fine.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
It's almost time to bring the civic back out of hibernation...

While it was great in the winter, back when it was my daily... and even though it really wasn't much of a winter this year...
it currently has summer tires, and i still need to dig into the vent system...
No heat = No Go...

Agenda for this year...
Car is currently running ok, but the suspension is really bad. pretty sure it still has all the original joints and bushings (think i rmaybe replaced one ball joint). Def needs shocks/struts. unsure if i want to go with aftermarket springs, or not... may just do oem equivalent for everything...

Not looking forward to the wheel bearings. while i do have a 20 ton press, and i finally have good air supply again... they're gonna be a PITA no matter what.

Also, i need to replace all of the motor mounts.
driving without hood (last summer), i could see the engine bucking back and forth, damn near hitting the firewall.
was holding off on that, just in case i did the manual swap (two birds and all), but that doesn't appear to be in the cards this year.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
One other thing... if i'm gonna start driving it regularly, i need to get the door locks sorted.

Ever since i've had this car, the only way you can lock the drivers door is with the key.
you cannot flip the lock lever, unless the ignition is on. ignition off, triggers the locks to open again.

Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that the security module is missing, but it's a PITA, since the last set of thieves destroyed the lock cylinder.

I'm fine with replacing the lock cylinder, but i can't find a set that includes the trunk.
i really don't want to carry 2 keys

First world problems, right?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
One other thing... if i'm gonna start driving it regularly, i need to get the door locks sorted.

Ever since i've had this car, the only way you can lock the drivers door is with the key.
you cannot flip the lock lever, unless the ignition is on. ignition off, triggers the locks to open again.

Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that the security module is missing, but it's a PITA, since the last set of thieves destroyed the lock cylinder.

I'm fine with replacing the lock cylinder, but i can't find a set that includes the trunk.
i really don't want to carry 2 keys

First world problems, right?
My RSX is currently the same way; door actuator is seized so I can't lock it at all. I just sort of hope nobody goes through my car. Nothing of much value in there other than an old radar that still picks up K band, therefore every car with blind spot detection, and an old JL Audio W3 that's somehow still bumpin.

One of those things that we should replace, but also a PITA to do. Not worried about car theft at least; all the theives around here just steal Kia's and for sure can't drive manuals.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
well, mine has been stolen twice (since i've owned it), so locking the doors didn't really help...
but i'd like to at least discourage the lazy ones.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, i think i jinxed myself by mentioning the heater...

Yesterday, out of the blue, my truck died, so I'll be driving the civic until i get that sorted.
That means, i couldn't put off the vent system any longer.

I know there's heat at the core, and i could hear the fan, but there was little to no airflow.
Based on the amount of nests in the rear of the car, i knew exactly what the problem was...

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Luckily, this car makes it easy to access what i needed to...

Firstly... This is why you always close the fresh air vent (set to recirculate), if your car is going to be sitting for more than a couple days

They had also completely filled the cavity next to the heater core (it's one of the two)

My vaccum could only reach so much, so i had to resort to compressed air.
set the regulator to 100psi, and went to town.
used the vacuum to catch as much as possible, but...

My car was clean. "was"...
but it got the job done.

and with that, i have Sahara levels of heat again.
honestly, it might even be better than when it was my daily...

Last edited:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
This was just in time.
weather was in the 50's yesterday, back to 30 today.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Been driving the civic daily since clearing out the vent system...
been going ok, almost up to 250 miles since i got it back on the road...

Saturday, i did the most continuous driving, and i started noticing hesitation at part throttle.
rolling through a parking lot at slow speed, if i gave it some gas, it would start to stumble.
was fine above half throttle, while cruising, but the revs would drop off a cliff, if i let off the gas.

not sure if it's heat related. i could smell coolant, during the period it was happening.
temp gauge never rose above 1/2.

it sat all day yesterday, as i didn't go anywhere. Fired it up today and was driving around like normal again.

no codes, other than the normal ones... lol

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Pull the plugs and see what they say. Also that rats nest is insanity LOL