Brak's 98 EX

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I checked the plugs after it happened. and nothing looked out of the ordinary, for a motor with 225k, and only 250 miles on the plugs.
issue was only happening for the 10-15 minutes it took to get home, and only at very low speed (parking lot, stop sign, etc).

Either way, i'm convinced it was heat related, as i've driven another 50 miles (cumulative), short trips throughout the week, and haven't been able to replicate it. when it happened, i had been driving around all day.

Also, i completely forgot (maybe i blocked it out), but...
couple days earlier, my throttle stuck open when i was approaching a stop sign. Depressing the gas pedal cleared it up, but forced me to accelerate through the stop sign, and across a major Highway :shock:
luckily no one was coming, or it could've been a really bad day.
had to change my pants after that one.

Last edited:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
In other news:

Last night, I made the mistake of going through the car wash (for the first time), on my way home.
Should've known better.

my jacket and pants were completely soaked. :|

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I've spent the winter mulling over the future of this car...
This summer will be focused on making it reliable (Suspension, weatherstripping, etc.), but there's definitely a swap in it's future...

I've always wanted to do a J swap, but i'm starting to seriously consider a K24. especially since it opens up the possibility of a 6 speed manual.
Been browsing the JDM engine sites, will probably start collecting parts soon.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
K24's are cheap and readily available. Most of the "unwanted" K series Accord, Element, etc can all be used reliably with a oil pump swap.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
K24's are cheap and readily available. Most of the "unwanted" K series Accord, Element, etc can all be used reliably with a oil pump swap.
That's what i was thinking. most of the accord or TSX variants are 180-190 hp on paper.
could easily swap cams if needed.
I'm not interested in turbos, so not worried about bottom end.

I already have a turbo car, and it has been a driveway ornament for nearly 2 years.
the velosters turbo ate itself at 70k, and Hyundai isn't holding up their end of the warranty.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
In other news, I think i'm falling out of love with the Ghost Key.

it's kind of a pain, if your car sits for a while, and doesn't always start in 3 seconds.
you can't just hit the button again, you have to turn the car off, back on, then repeat the start process.

it's not

Also, i'm pretty sure it's slowly draining my battery.
it's fine when i drive the car every day, but if it sits for a few days, the battery is too weak to start.
if it sits for a couple weeks, the battery will be pretty much flat.

Battery was brand new back in August/Sep. car has no other electronics

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ghost Key should not be drawing much power at all. No more than a keyless entry system would. 100% get in contact with JDI on that one. Mine is still in the box to be honest. I have one kit and want to put it on the Civic. Thought about putting one in each of the Honda ACTY's.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Ghost Key should not be drawing much power at all. No more than a keyless entry system would. 100% get in contact with JDI on that one. Mine is still in the box to be honest. I have one kit and want to put it on the Civic. Thought about putting one in each of the Honda ACTY's.
It's useful in my case where the steering lock was destroyed, but it's not as convenient as the active keyless systems, where you can leave your keys in your pocket.

I actually find it kind of akward, since you have to swipe the fob, which is on my keychain, and then figure out what to do with the keys.
I'm realizing why the card based keys back in the early 2ks never really took off.
First World Problems right?

but yeah, i'll reach out to them and see what they say.