Votes: 12 44.4%
  • 04 VW Jetta GLI

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey all. so, i'm now in the position to buy a new car. i'm looking at something 4 door, all power options, 2004 or newer, forced induction, and something that i could just leave alone and be satisfied with. i'm tired of modding cars...i went thru it with my honda, and i'm just done. i want something that was done right from the factory. i want a nice car, and i'm cautious about price as well.

my choices that i narrowed down to were the subi wrx, dodge srt4, and vw gli. all nice cars, pretty much what i'm looking for. first, i called and got insurance quotes from insurance companies, and i instantly ruled the wrx out. the insurance is way higher on that...not so much that i couldn't afford, but more than i really want to. the insurance difference between the srt4 and gli is about $20 a month.

theres a guy with an 04 srt4 in town. black, dark grey painted factory wheels, lowered on eibach pro kit, stock outside. he's upgraded the intercooler, bov, charge pipes, and exhaust, with 3" lines all the way back to 2.5" pipes set up on the side exit. car looks and drives perfect, he's the only owner, had it maintained at the local dodge place, and all the parts are of good quality and profesionally installed. he's asking $14250. insurance is about $150/month, mileage is about 57k

there's a lady with an 04 vw gli, red, 1.8turbo, totally factory. she purchased it at the local VW dealer under the certified pre owned deal, had the maintenance done at the dealer, and kept all paperwork. paint looks like it could need some elbow grease in bufind, polishing, wax, etc....but no major damage. she's askin $14100, insurance is about $120/month, mileage is 53k

pro's and cons:

srt4:
pros- dyno'd at 271hp, 310 tq, looks badass, local dealer in my town, has all stock parts

cons-i dont know how long these cars will last, and i believe i will be eating his debt on the loan, as these cars have gone down in value. KBB says a stock one is worth 12,3k....i talked him to my price from $15,5k. no cruise control or rear power windows (gay factory)

vw gli
pros- mint f'n condition inside and out, girl driver, non smoker, totally stock, and she showed me every single document she had on the car (apparently her glovebox is a file cabinet) this is a nicer car than the srt in terms of look and feel, and i am getting this car for less than its worth.

cons- not so much power, but at the same time, enough for me. the MAJOR con, is that the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away (45-60 min drive). i work from 3pm-11pm monday thru saturday, so if something were to happen, i'd have to get creative about how to get it to a dealership, as i dont think anywhere in my town would have the ability to ever work on it.

i am wanting something that is reliable, relatively quick, and something i can just leave alone. The srt has a bit more power than what i'm looking for, but i guess that's cool. the gli just has that pimp euro look though.

so guys, what's your opinion? just trying to get some advice. thanks all!!!!!

99civicEx908

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
srt-4 all the way man lol jetta r girl cars

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha, everyone keeps telling me to go with the srt4. and yes, bang for the buck, theres no car with more power. i'd be paying a bit more per year with insurance and payments than the vw, but the power makes up for it. but value on these things are dropping like crazy, because it just honestly just a neon

my buddy works at a local chevy dealership, and is my aid in this deal. he's told me that the vw is a far better value in terms of actual value that the banks look at, but the srt should be what i go with because of the local dealership.

but with the gli, you can roll all the windows down by putting the key in the drivers door!!!! PIMP!!!! haha and its a 6 speed....

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in either of these cars, i will not drag race it, i wont take it to a strip, i will never street race it. yah, i might give it a little kick on the highway, but thats it. maybe...MAYBEEEE i'd take it to an autocross...but thats it.

ive asked all my buddies about which one to get, its about 50/50, just tryin to gauge some intrest from my civic brothers

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
out of those choices.. Id go for the GLI.. but I really wouldnt pick either one of those..

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
scooby! think about it....all power. turbo, AWD, and depending on the model a sunroof. all scobies come 4 door.

you can find one for the price your looking at. you can prolly get a 2.5RS for alot cheaper

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it helps, my price range is around $15k. yes, i know there are other cars that can fit my description, but either A)they're out of my price range, or B)they're not newer

i'm done with honda, i know i can swap and etc, but i'm just tired of it. I want something that i can just leave alone.

the only reason why i threw the vw in the mix, is because my buddy got an 07 GTI, and i absolutely love it. it may not be the fastest, but it just seems so damn thought out and very quality built. but i just dont want that price tag, and i like the way the jettas look, go gli was my choice.

the srt, i chose because of power, and the fact that it's a beast on the street.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and subi, no. i love the cars, they're hot, sexy, fast, awd and all that good stuff. but i'm just not gonna pay the insurance rates, and the ones i'm finding online have all been modded extensively, which i dont want, and they're all a bit out of my price tag with high miles

and i wouldnt get the RS. if i'm gonna buy a car i'm gettin the top of the line. i would rather drive a girls car that's turbo'd than a subi that lost its snail.

wiggi

sold his civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TippinOver said:
and subi, no. i love the cars, they're hot, sexy, fast, awd and all that good stuff. but i'm just not gonna pay the insurance rates, and the ones i'm finding online have all been modded extensively, which i dont want, and they're all a bit out of my price tag with high miles

and i wouldnt get the RS. if i'm gonna buy a car i'm gettin the top of the line. i would rather drive a girls car that's turbo'd than a subi that lost its snail.
IMO, both srt's (neons) and jettas have horrible reliabliity to my knowledge. I'd rather pay a bit higher insurance rates than need to pay for engine or electrical work (vw has horrible reliability in electronics)

I would trust a subaru to start up and get me to work everyday, but those cars, no

This is all my opinion, but my vote would go for the GLI

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Both cars have poorer than average reliability, and I'm sure parts are expensive for both cars.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive researched the cars reliability as well...and yah, the vw has had issues in the past on the electronics...but i believe that was the previous model jetttas and etc that had that. i also wonder if people did anything to encourage it, by adding on electronics, be it a system, navi, etc...the only mods i would do to either are window tint, and throw my Alpine cd player and iPod in. thats the extent.

the only thing ive worried about the srt for, is the tranny. ive always known dodge to have shitty trannys, but i've heard that the srt has a different/new one, and the reliability is fine, the only major damage reported is clutch wear and tear.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reliabilty and maintenace go hand in hand though. every car will break down eventually, no getting around it. but if proper care is taken, those critical times can be avoided.

i even test drove a new civic si, just so i could see if i could still stay in the honuh world....but it just wasnt for me. and way otta my price range for the 4 door (and i'd HAVE to get the hfp kit and wheels)

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k the neon. Go with the Jetta. American vs. German? no contest. plus this particular Jetta looks like a 1980123323x better deal than the particular SRT4 you are looking at. Always go with the stock-owned-by-a-girl/old woman than guy-modded-car-with-ultra-factory-st0ck-parts-yo. Why risk reliability just for more power and the ability to give money away to a dealership more easily?

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
but thats just the thing. if i DO need to have it dealer repaired, the VW would be 10x the hassle, and probably more expensive parts/labor.

i can fix cars. but i will not touch either one of these. certified people will do most all work, and i will have papers in my hand.

german> american, i know. and it's got FACTORY 18" bbs look alikes!!!!!

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1.its a neon
2.German Engineering>American

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
can u make any verified comment on the reliability of the vw, considering the fact it always has been/always will be dealer maintained?

im jsut trying to gauge the best bang for the buck, not only for power, but comfort, relaibility, value, etc.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GLI...though i wouldn't pick either...chances are the SRT was beat on and the jetta wasn't

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yah, i can imagine that. he's a nice guy, smart about things, and older. more of a responsible driver, but i'm sure he's gotten down on it from time to time.

another thing....with that side exhaust, its loud as hell. while it brings a smile to my face when i kick it...i'm worried about maybe what the local State Troopers will think about it.....