Can I make 200-250 HP with my D16y8 without boost?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you could supercharge your y8 and have plenty of fun for around the track, your biggest issue will be your transmission holding up if your beating on it. also when you start running above 8psi on the jackon racing superchargers you develop issues with your intake temps being to high, so you have to run water/meth or but a watercooler kit that gets attached to the intake manifold. (Ive been looking into these for a b18 so i spent a good day on honda techs supercharger thread, very good to look into)

best bet would be a b20 with b18 intake manifold and running off b18 ecu with a b16 trans and if you want it to be ok on the highway throw in a ls 5th gear.

also look into lightweight flywheels, something around 8lbs would be good for your goal i would say

also dont forget they if you get something like hasport 70a urethane mounts less torque will be lost through the twisting of the mounts, so more torque will be put to the wheels.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah if you want those kind of numbers without boost, you're gonna have to swap.

But you can still keep you d16.

In the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khmernese

for auto X your going to want more torque and low end - mid power. stroking your d series would be the best aspect to reaching higher power.
also as tigbitties said, you will want some kind of solid mounts to keep more torque to the wheels.
Majority of b series already have trouble reaching around 250hp NA since theres always some kind of budget.
plus if you could maintain a 200 hp d series (which is also quite a task to reach) it probably wont be very streetable.

"There is no replacement for displacement"

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
These idea's sound great but like I stated before, you'll want to read into the auto-x rules and guidelines to see what kind of modifications are/aren't allowed per class and what class you'd get put in. You may end up running against much faster and better cars.

And IMO, S2 Pro II coils are garbage for competitive racing. If you want something competitive, Koni/GC with custom spring rates. And you'll want something on the stiffer side if you want better handling. AFAIK, most, if not all, aftermarket springs and coilovers are setup so the fronts are stiffer than the rear which allows for more understeer. Higher spring rates in the rear than front allows for more oversteer. You either want to find a good balance or know how to control oversteer and get better spring rates.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I was reading this and wondering if the OP knew much about auto-x. Sounds to me like your going to put yourself in to a street modified class. Which pretty much means the guy with the bigger budget has the edge.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Could still turbo the d since trying to find a supercharger for the d is next to impossible. They no longer produce them so you would have to find one used. If you find one used the price will most likely be outrageous like some rare oem parts for our cars. I would say though if you are worried bout the lag get a smaller turbo. A gt28 will be great for you I would think.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this a supercharger for a d16 is very very hard to find especially complete. Alot of people have a few things for the setup so youd prolly have to end up piecing it together and even if you did that or found it complete it would be alot of money.

civicexkid

you have outlandinsh power goals. your gonna blow more money than what your cars worth x10 if you do a n/a duild on any d series. just swap in a bseries and like someone said eariler get lsd and drive like that for a while and get your suspension tuned in and get a feel for the car. swap and all is about 3500 or more and for you to make 250hp would required stage 2 cams with that you have valve spring retainers valves then youll need 11.5:1 or higher(more like 13:1) and tuning which also need engine managment and injectors and all so a fully built motor which in total would be about 10,000 for the sway and even then you might not make it to 250. you need to llok at your goals. if i were you id swap a b18c into it get an lsd, 5.1 final drive and stage 2 cams with p&p valves,springs,etc and get it tuned(obv have intake and exhaust) and have a rev limit of 9k and call it a day that would give the most fun. in autocross you want tq not hp. you could run a stock b18c and get a 5.1 final drive and still do amazing b/c you can get your speed up quicker w/o doing all this stuff to get alot of h/p. your top speed will be lower and youll cruize at a higher rpm but thats the trade of of track /street car. just think about your options and have a resonable goal before you start to spend money on things.

ek98hatch

damnn so many D haters... i love my D16y8.. and i have kick a few ls .... but yes it will be a lot of money to get a n/a y8 to reach those number... you will need an amazing cam, pistons. rods,valvetrain head n bottom work. injectors.. header I.m.. and a super freaking bad ass tune....
just get a small turbo that will get you around 200whp stock engine.. there are a lot of good ones.. for 1k plus other few hunderds for tune and you will have your goal form under 2k
whys that you dont wanna go turbo? what about n2o

autoX

wow, i think you people took my original question a lil too far lol.....its kinda funny how people get so worked up over so little lol....Thanks for the input

ZeroMech63

Get a t25 or a t28 n call it a day, cheapest route n don't see why it wouldn't b reliable if ur engine is in good shape... Not the 1st one to say it.

emerican

Registered VIP
wow, i think you people took my original question a lil too far lol.....its kinda funny how people get so worked up over so little lol....Thanks for the input
I didnt really see anybody getting really worked up over it. Alot of people just trying to help out.
Did you figure out what class you will be running in?

emerican

Registered VIP
damnn so many D haters... i love my D16y8.. and i have kick a few ls .... but yes it will be a lot of money to get a n/a y8 to reach those number... you will need an amazing cam, pistons. rods,valvetrain head n bottom work. injectors.. header I.m.. and a super freaking bad ass tune....
just get a small turbo that will get you around 200whp stock engine.. there are a lot of good ones.. for 1k plus other few hunderds for tune and you will have your goal form under 2k
whys that you dont wanna go turbo? what about n2o
I dont believe nitrious would be a good option for him.
He is aiming the build toward doing auto x dont see nitrious being a good option for auto x.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lots of info being thrown around in here. Some good, some bad, some accurate, some not so much lol.

I'll have to get back on this when I'm on a computer and not my phone lol.

emerican

Registered VIP
op if there was ever a guy to listen to when your going to do auto x it would be this man^^^

fanaticx

I'm not a pro but I think with a little research your goal of 200 is almost reachable with a little machine work and the right parts. mill the head and pnp, find p29 pistons and shot peen the rods. a good cam, header, and adjustable can gear. from what I've read when you tune you can adjust can timing to bring the torque up a little which will help you like someone said. plus stating d series saves weight. but that's just my opinion

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Isnt everyone "building" their car for auto cross today?

OP take your car to an auto cross even then build from there. Nothing is worse than noobs who have never been to a track, but are building a car for it. As if they know where to begin.

and LOL @ 250whp with no boost.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i dont wanna be competitive lol....i wanna win....anyone can win with a beefy B18c1 , i wanna be different lol , And yes Im a good driver, and again.....my suspension is dialed in...no issues there

OP, I am 100% positive a skilled driver in a BONE STOCK 96-00 Civic will spank you so bad, your mother will wanna have a word with him.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I too am going to say go with a small turbo or just swap it. B series will work just fine. B20 or B18 will be ok. If you really want to, go K series.
My personal opinion would be to not chase numbers. They sound cool and all but its not all about the numbers. How well are you doing right now? Do you really need an additional 120-150 horsepower more to get where you want to be?

Also, where are you doing your autocross? I'm looking into doing some myself.