Check Engine light on, loww idle

Proto05

5+ Year Member
It hapened as i was driving home, i think i hit a pothole and maybe sumthing went loose,The check engine light came on i came to a red light and the whole car vibrated and the RPMwas almost at 0 for a few seconds, then went back up to about 500. What is wrong???

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check the engine light and see what code it is throwing.

manu

5+ Year Member
is it still vibrating... it happened to me last year... one of the spark plugs wires from the dizzy is probably loose..
go to auto zone or advanced auto parts and let them do the free check engine light test. if it is a misfire on cylinder #something, it probably means that your spark plug wire was loose...

Proto05

5+ Year Member
Ok I just got back from Advance auto and there free OBD reader. the prinout said:

P0135
O2 Sensor Heater
Circut Malfunction
(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0135 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction ---from the page OC linked me to

So can you guys help me out now?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you need a new primary o2 sensor :lol:

youre running in limp mode as a result of your CEL

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the primary o2 sensor is in the end of your header..dunno how much it is..i found a secondary 02 sensor on Hoda tech for 50 shipped and it a Denso...his name is Frank_2.0 or something like that..

94exvtec

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The o2 sensor is a probable cause...but check the o2 plug connector. Or if you have access to a more functional scan tool, access o2 sensor tests from the scanner PID's and test the sensor heater. I'd hate to see a loose wire in the o2 connector lead you to buy a new o2 sensor. Just my .02 in diagnostics...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should reset the ecu and make sure its not a fluke

the fact that you hit a pot hole and then it happens makes me think its a wiring issue more than the actual O2 sensor since its unlikely that the sensor just failed at the exact moment you went over the bump

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=58333

Proto05

5+ Year Member
well i kinda did reset the ECU cuz while me and dad were checking it out, we replaced the battery cuz it needed it bad.

So a wire maybe came loose in the primary connector? sounds fixable

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Proto05 said:
well i kinda did reset the ECU cuz while me and dad were checking it out, we replaced the battery cuz it needed it bad.

So a wire maybe came loose in the primary connector? sounds fixable
id at least look at the connection..

JustAVic

5+ Year Member
02 sensor

ya sounds like that DTC is an O2 sensor fault. You should grab urself a DVOM n get a voltage reading on the o2...should fluctuate between .2-.8 volt depending on the rich and lean condition that it's running. No more n no less. First do a visual inspection for loose connection n such such. no need to get a new 02 if something elses could be the problem. The 02 of course sends voltage to ur pcm making it control the fuel injectors depending on if ur running rich or lean. This could have caused you to idle low. Well good luck in diagnosing!

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Since you've resetted your ECU....see if your check engine light comes back on and let us know. heck, i dont know why i didnt know about the free check engine light readout thing at advance auto....if i knew that, i would have gone to get mine checked a while ago...:haha:

Jase

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey, i'm not tryin to jack your thread, but i'm having similar problems, i might as well explain it here, my ride idles real low sometimes, like it drops down close to 100ish.....and back to 500-1000, it doesn't stay low for long though, maybe a second or two.. but this happens alot., thing is, my check engine light doesn't come on. so i assume its okay.

cheers.

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jase said:
Hey, i'm not tryin to jack your thread, but i'm having similar problems, i might as well explain it here, my ride idles real low sometimes, like it drops down close to 100ish.....and back to 500-1000, it doesn't stay low for long though, maybe a second or two.. but this happens alot., thing is, my check engine light doesn't come on. so i assume its okay.

cheers.
well for your problem, sounds like a dirty IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), its on the back of the intake mani. near the TB, take it off, spray it clean with brakleen 2-3 times, let sit for about 5-10 minutes in well ventilated area then reinstall, if that doesnt work then it may be defective

Proto05

5+ Year Member
the CEL is still on...how much do you think a shop would charge for repairing this?

manu

5+ Year Member
Proto05 said:
the CEL is still on...how much do you think a shop would charge for repairing this?
autozone sells universal bosch o2 sensors for about $80.... its really easy to change....

Jase

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shea said:
well for your problem, sounds like a dirty IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), its on the back of the intake mani. near the TB, take it off, spray it clean with brakleen 2-3 times, let sit for about 5-10 minutes in well ventilated area then reinstall, if that doesnt work then it may be defective

Thanks shea'

gonna try and clean the s**t out this weekend'

:cool:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Proto05 said:
Replacing the O2 sensor is cake. Go to Advanced AutoZone or whatever it's called and pick up those 4 wire universal ones for like $88 inc. tax. Come home, jack up your car (or ramps...w/e), take out the O2 sensor on your car, splice the new one and old one together (follow instructions) and voila.

I had no idea what the f**k I was doing when I was splicing the O2 sensor but it was cake man. And if it's wiring, are you sure the pothole didn't just catch a wire or two when the car dipped down and cut some wires? I don't get how hitting a pothole would cause a malfunction in an O2 sensor.