1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Civic 93 delay to turn off the check light (engine doesn't start while CEL on)

Discussion in '5th Generation Honda Civic (1992-1995)' started by ElMaq, Feb 9, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok I don't know if I fixed it with the new fuse but now my 1-7 and 5-7 are both priming the pump

Still check engine is solid no start

So... anything else I should check? Or think it's ECU

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

IMG_3863.JPG
    Ecu came intoday , plugged it in , fired right up , check engine came off after 2 seconds fuel pump primed like it was supposed to on ON (II) , car isn't reading temp. But it turned on and I'm good to go:ok:

3. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

Has the temp gauge ever worked?

4. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

I just got the car ... when I get home I'm gonna check it out.

5. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok so I replaced the thermostat with a fail safe , I replaced the fan switch after testing the connector and turning the fan on manually , I replaced the temp sensor ( and I have a reading gauge now) my car is not saying it's over heating but everything seems to get kind of hot and some smoke from radiator starts to come and still no fan turns on so I shut the car off before any over heating occurs. What should I look for because my fan is not turning on ...

6. boofoo

Bleed the cooling system after topping off the radiator and reservoir with coolant.

7. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok I did that. My thermostat is not opening up, not getting circulation to bottom radiator hose. Rad fan won't come on ... it works when I loop the connector , have a new thermostat new fan switch and new temp gauge... what am I missing?

8. boofoo

Describe how you bled the system.

Sounds like there's still air trapped in the system.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Jacked the front end up , put a funnel in the radiator filled it with coolant , squeezed the lower radiator tube and the then the upper radiator tube, topped off the reservoir to max line , turned the car on put heater on continued to squeeze lower radiator tube until no bubbles would come on let it idle for about 10 minutes or so until it started to get normal operating temp, couldn't add any more coolant, capped the radiator listened my bleeder screw not man bubbles came out at all so I squeezed the tubes a little bit solid stream of fluid so I turned it off =\ - I tried to look for a proper step by step for bleeding coolant system and found a bunch of posts with a bunch of different vague information

10. boofoo

Your method was fine, but you must let the engine idle until the radiator fan turns on twice. The radiator cap must be loose (turned one notch) the entire time. It may take 30 minutes. Watch for engine overheating during the procedure.

Was the heater set to max heat and did the air blow hot?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Yeah it got hot and everything , but my fans won't turn on, I'm still having no fan issue replaced fan switch still nothing and when I jump connector it works what do I do to get fans to come on ?

12. boofoo

Bleed!

Loosen bleeder bolt until no air is released.

Set the heater to max heat with cabin blower OFF.

Only terminate procedure if engine overheats.

13. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok well my temp gauge does not show over heat but I start to see smoke rising somewhere out of engine bay between radiator and engine it could just be some fluid but still I don't want the damn engine to overheat because the thermostat is not passing fluid?

14. boofoo

Just monitor engine temp and coolant level.

15. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Also are you saying just put the temp slider
    ok so I did it again jacked it up higher squeezed harder left it on longer and I finally got the coolant to pass through to the hose past the thermostat so I'm assuming it opened up and I got the air out. However the fan still wouldn't come on. And I started to see smoke coming from the radiator , no signs of temperature heating up but it was idleing for a good 13minutes with no fans coming on and it should have come on - should I replace the relay ? Is there any other possibility of the fans not coming on? I've been searching forums and videos and have spent a lot of time , nothing in the manual about diagnosing radiator fans , the fan works I manually jumped the fan switch plug... what can I do? The coolant seemed to be circulating legit. point me in the next direction if possible?

16. boofoo

Correct. You only need to slide the lever to max heat.

How long did you let the engine idle after the temp gauge indicated the engine was fully warmred up?

If the weather is cold where you live, it may take 20-30 minutes for the fan to turn on.

Being patient will pay off.

17. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Nah it's in California. The engine was warmed up for a good 10 -12 minutes easy I'm prettty sure the fan should have come on at least one time. I mean I thought the radiator was gonna explode... lol smoke coming off it a lot. I thought ok maybe it just burning fluid. But the car has been smoking A little since I first got it to turn on. It got a test drive around the block and was seeing some smoke coming from radiator area of engine bay. I didn't count how long it was on for but it seemed like a while. I'll time it tomorrow and see what happens... I'm thinking one of the relays needs to be changed or something it should have come on in my opinion.

18. boofoo

What was the outside temp during the bleed?

Not necessarily. Civic engines run cold.

If the temp gauge was reading normal, then you are fine. You were watching the temp gauge, right?

Pressure test the cooling system to locate the leak. Once identified, fix the leak and then bleed until the fan comes on twice.

19. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

It was like 75 degrees - yeah temp never went to/past half way it was like at 40%. It would make since having a leak I guess. Ok let me see if I can find a leak in the system and will repeat bleed.

20. boofoo

Perfect

If you can't locate the leak with the engine idling, then use a tool that pressurizes the cooling system so you can reveal the leak with engine off.