XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like this new guy. He actually asks thought out questions unlike most new members.
You should totally actually answer the question next time ;)

I'm still new to this whole engine upgrade thing with cars and sh*t , but what does a cold air intake do to your car?
A cold air intake's purpose is to bring colder air into the engine. Colder air = more oxygen = more power. OEM intakes are designed to minimize noise, so the first thing you will notice when upgrading is the sound difference. With that being said, on small HP / econo cars such as a Civic, the horsepower gains are very minimal.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should totally actually answer the question next time ;)
Ha! I wanted to hear someone elses explanation, given that I seem to be the most vocal opposer to cold-air intakes on the forum

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unfortunately not each without other parts also involved (i/h/e). But you can talk to the company directly and they can give you specifics.
Injen - D15
J's - B18b
AEM - B18c1
But you never personally had your car on a Dyno with each setup to verify any sort of hp gain claims?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
At 3-15 hp and 3 different intakes, it's not worth dyno'ing each time IMO. This isn't tuning an ECU, it's a damn tube lol.

EDIT: Unless you have frequent access to a dyno...

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But you never personally had your car on a Dyno with each setup to verify any sort of hp gain claims?
This is my own personal experiences with them, other upgraded parts included, on the dyno and being tuned. Not individually tested on a stock motor with no other upgrades.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Connie, Lethal and xplode... you hear that?!

Its useless unless running a turbo.. weve been doing itt wrong this whole time :facepalm:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sadly.. f**kin taco bell is getting expensive! I got a couple things and my bill was 13 bucks..

Tacos didnt have any meat in them,, it was lettuce in a taco shell with a sprig of cheese. 1.29 for that s**t!

You might find your deciding which to spend your $$ on.. taco bell OR condoms!

/offtopicrant

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At 3-15 hp and 3 different intakes, it's not worth dyno'ing each time IMO. This isn't tuning an ECU, it's a damn tube lol.

EDIT: Unless you have frequent access to a dyno...
I'm probably one of the few who actually tested a short ram versus a cold air intake...not very helpful here with all the smaller engines, but on my K24a2 swap, two pulls of a short ram intake made 217whp then 215whp. Then a cold air intake with the same diamter piping was thrown in, the two pulls made 228whp each time. Pulls done on a Dynojet, extremely hot texas day, STD correction factor.