Computer Talk Thread (Open to all)

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I want to upgrade to a SSD. I am waiting for storage to go up and price to go down. I think the smallest Hdd I can run comfortably would be 320. I can't do external drives.

My Machine looks like this.

2.53 Dual Core i5
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram
500 Gb Hdd
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB graphics

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I want to upgrade to a SSD. I am waiting for storage to go up and price to go down. I think the smallest Hdd I can run comfortably would be 320. I can't do external drives.

2.53 Dual Core i5
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram
500 Gb Hdd
Unless the NAND chip factories get their heads out of their asses, I wouldn't expect prices to go down much in the near future. They purposely cut production numbers to bring the prices up.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

2.53 Dual Core i5
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram
500 Gb Hdd
Thought about buying a smaller SSD and having the OS on that drive and have a second drive for doc, music, pics, etc?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Regretting buying a netbook over a year ago. that little thing is too tiny.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
now see the parents have an ipad, for stuff like youtube or email or IMDB while in the living room watchin tv, thats pretty useful. when im home, my netbook doesnt leave my work bag.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah. My iPhone serves the purpose of a tablet

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My phone also serves as my tablet... as well as a wireless hotspot when I need it.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i just got a windows 7 phone, anyone know anything about zune?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
updating it now, taking a while lol it was missing like 2 updates

i have to say, this phone is bad ass, and iv had them all, way cooler than the iphone imo

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I have a friend that wants to buy my computer that I just put together and it's just got me thinking about a new build... A SANDY BRIDGE BUILD!!! If I do end up selling my current computer, I'm planning on picking these up, what do you think?

- BIOSTAR TP67XE LGA1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138317

- Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

- G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

- EVGA GTX460 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

I'm doing great with my build so far in the games I play (mainly CS1.6 & CS:S on high settings). CS1.6 plays legit with no hiccups, but on CS:S however, I get pretty good FPS, but when it's a common map with 30+ players on it, sometimes my FPS will drop to around 90-120 in action which is somewhat choppy. Custom maps I get anywhere from 200-300 FPS which is what I'd like to get on mostly ALL MAPS. I'm a hardcore Counter-Strike fan and I want a system that will be able to handle it even in the craziest settings.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here is my issue. My main PC won't boot. Gets to the BIOS POST screen and sticks. I can't hit F12 for boot options to boot to CD, can't hit F2 for Bios Settings or DEL for something else to do with BIOS. It me messing around and reseating connections on the motherboard (power, RAM, HD) I got it to boot. It has since restarted and I got it to boot one other time but we lost power last night and turned the PC off so it wont boot again. I am tired of trying to boot it 15 times to get it to actually boot but once it does it runs fine. Motherboard going bad? PC is one I built 2 years ago this month.
Think I may be getting somewhere finally. Replaced the CMOS battery like Jason said. Didn't seem to help. I then started to disconnect anything and everything on the motherboard. Took off the heatsink and the processor, cleaned off the thermal paste and applied new. Once that was done I connected all of the SATA cables, fans, RAM, case connections, etc. Booted it up, set the date and time in the BIOS and now whenever I try to boot to a CD or HD I get this:

Welcome to ASUS Motherboard Make Disk for DOS Menu (I have a Asus P6T Motherboard)
a) Intel 32bit driver disk
b) Inter 64bit driver disk
c) Marvell 32/64 driver disk
d) JMicron 32 bit driver disk
e) JMicron 64 bit driver disk
f)FreeDOS command prompt
Please choose a ~f:

When I select one, It says:
Please insert your Formatted Floppy to A:\
Press a key to continue.

I have a Floppy hooked up from another PC using the ribbon to the motherboad but when I continue I get this:
Error reading from drive A: DOS area: seek error
(A)bort, (I)gnore, (R)etry, (F)ail?

Suggestions? That is not the exact wording for the drivers but its close. The rest is exactly how its on the DOS screen.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yup. I'm a tard. Forgot to power the floppy drive in the new PC... For ares the disk then said:
Error reading from drive A: DOS area: data error (bad CRC)
Abort, ignore, Retry, Fail?

12Civic

I still need help with my RAM problem!

I have 2 sticks, and they both work individually in both DIMM slots (only 2 slots), but not together! Wtf is going on?
Probably mismatched pairs. One might be of a different manufacture, speed or capacity. You should be able to get that information by a sticker or printing on the DIMM itself. Even if you have the same manufactured memory they may differ slightly and not work as a pair. Its always best to purchase memory in pairs/at the same time. "Matched" pairs always work best.

~Steve