coupe vs hatchback

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i had a 96 EX coupe for almost 2 years, but back in January, after looking for a hatch shell for almost 2 months a found one. i love the hatch 100x better then i did the coupe, as far as power options, i did the power window conversion. no power steering isnt that bad, only when your sitting still is it a pain in the ass. HATCH FTW!

edit: oh and a i have EX brakes in the front and a rear dish conversion, so as far as smaller brakes....not for me =)

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only real benefit I see a hatch has is the rear vision and around your car. If you have to check your blind spots, the hatch has a way bigger view through it's rear windows and hatch.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The only real benefit I see a hatch has is the rear vision and around your car. If you have to check your blind spots, the hatch has a way bigger view through it's rear windows and hatch.
cause being lighter isnt an advantage or anything...

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the future downfall of thr human race lazyness
the guy is right. I don't care if it's a hatch or coupe, but I would be very embarrassing to have to roll the window old school way with that handle or w/ o ac during summer when it's over 100 degree 'round here (u can forget 'bout takin a girl out w/ that).

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a coupe, but also have a hatch available to me whenever I'd like it. I greatly prefer the coupe, even though the hatch now has power doors. The coupe is just more comfortable to me.

drekoe

5+ Year Member
I would be very embarrassing to have to roll the window old school way with that handle
why is that so embarrassing? embarrassing would be to know what people do with that left hand, other than roll down their windows.

JAYYS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some people actually aren't strong enough to drive a heavy modern vehicle without power steering. While I can do it, it's taxing to do all day since I'm not used to it and I'm not a big person, but how about disabled people? As much as I dislike automatic transmissions I even realize that older people and disabled people can better drive a vehicle that's an automatic.

It's not always laziness and it's silly to jump to that conclusion.
im not talking about power steering or trans im talking about the power windows locks etc. i understand all of wat ur saying
also how is it embarrising to have manual windows i rather have that then be embarassed to say o the switch for my window dont work so it doesnt go down cum down to earth that stuff isnt important its nice but by no means necicary plus its one more thing to break

jkcivic

5+ Year Member
so its a conversion to have power locks and power windows? cause i thought all hatches come with it. bad ass just learned something new about my car.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im not talking about power steering or trans im talking about the power windows locks etc. i understand all of wat ur saying
also how is it embarrising to have manual windows i rather have that then be embarassed to say o the switch for my window dont work so it doesnt go down cum down to earth that stuff isnt important its nice but by no means necicary plus its one more thing to break
I never mentioned anything besides power steering.

And the transmissions are all the same for EXes (auto or manual) and hatches (auto or manual). There are no limits or different options on those trims.

I also never said anything about being embarrassed by manual windows. I just wouldn't want them.

And "cum down to earth" sounds dirty.
so its a conversion to have power locks and power windows? cause i thought all hatches come with it. bad ass just learned something new about my car.
Look at the chart I posted. Hatches in the US didn't come with creature comforts. CXes and DXes are the bottom rung of the ladder.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think they're both fine cars, i just never did like cars without a back end, i like my car to have an ass XD

I mean where do you put your spoiler? Roof spoilers are kinda... ehh, they just dont look right, need a boot for a decent spoiler XD

They do look good but as said before, its all personal preference
I have a hatchback. My spoiler sits in the same place yours does...

Oh wait :smackself: we are talking about that truncated ass end on a Civic hatch.:lol:

The Civic hatch does offer a MUCH larger opening than the coupe's trunk making it infinitely more usable. Fold the seats down in a hatch and you practically have a microvan. I carried some hellaciously large items in my Integra's hatch area and it is much closer to a true Kammback than the Civic so it probably only has 2/3rds the space of the Civic.

In the US market, the coupe has always been a bigger seller. :what:

One of these Hyundais is practical...the other one sold well:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow that wasn't confusing at all I'm glad I suffered through reading all that and stuff and it's good to have by no means necicary. :shock:

what? like manual crank windows never break? How on earth will the vice-grip company ever stay in business if manual cranks don't break?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
As I mentioned earlier, there is rarely a time that we put anything in the hatch which cannot fit in the coupe. The 42" television in the box wouldn't fit in the coupe, but a set of bumpers won't fit in the hatch (both cargos with two people in the car at the same time nonetheless).

Sure, I guess the hatch could sometimes be more practical to ship items around, but most people don't need to move such large items very often.

Plus as mentioned there are so few options on the USDM hatchbacks that it really makes the car feel much "cheaper" (stock for stock).

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh, and as far as the window issues on 6th gens, it happens on both power AND manual windows. I have often seen people state that it only happens on the power windows, but that's just not true.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As I mentioned earlier, there is rarely a time that we put anything in the hatch which cannot fit in the coupe. The 42" television in the box wouldn't fit in the coupe, but a set of bumpers won't fit in the hatch (both cargos with two people in the car at the same time nonetheless).

Sure, I guess the hatch could sometimes be more practical to ship items around, but most people don't need to move such large items very often.
I carried a replacement bumper for my Integra in the back.I had to lay the passenger's seat flat But I got it in there. (I want so bad to type "bumber" there:bluelol: )

We moved the 42" TV in the box with the PT Cruiser. I had to take the parcel shelf out and slot it back in there to secure it. If I'd had the my Civic still, I might have been able to put it in the backseat. :what: maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that it would not fit in through the trunk opening of the Civic. :lol:

Granted, the PT is closer in size to a CR-V. But it does illustrate how much more useful a hatch opening is than a trunk.

Hell, I put my kid's twin bed in the back of the PT with the back seats removed. I had to scoot the front seats forward a little but the whole thing fit. Last time I'm ever taking those seats out. Flip the lever and they're out. Fight with them for half an hour to get them back in the tracks to put them back in. :evil:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I carried a replacement bumper for my Integra in the back.I had to lay the passenger's seat flat But I got it in there. (I want so bad to type "bumber" there:bluelol: )

We moved the 42" TV in the box with the PT Cruiser. I had to take the parcel shelf out and slot it back in there to secure it. If I'd had the my Civic still, I might have been able to put it in the backseat. :what: maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that it would not fit in through the trunk opening of the Civic. :lol:

Granted, the PT is closer in size to a CR-V. But it does illustrate how much more useful a hatch opening is than a trunk.

Hell, I put my kid's twin bed in the back of the PT with the back seats removed. I had to scoot the front seats forward a little but the whole thing fit. Last time I'm ever taking those seats out. Flip the lever and they're out. Fight with them for half an hour to get them back in the tracks to put them back in. :evil:
The issue I have with the comparison of the PT Cruiser and CR-V is that we're not talking about minivans (which a PT Cruiser basically is) or an SUV of any sort.

We're talking about much smaller '96-'00 Civics.

Generally speaking about putting large items in any Civic, the issue with the Civic's trunk isn't the opening. It's the shock towers in the rear.

But then again, as I mentioned, rarely have we HAD to use the hatchback. I suppose it depends what kinds of things the buyer of said vehicle might normally carry around, but I'd say Eran and I are pretty average with the size of things we put in the cars, granted ours are often car parts.

The coupe can fit more things such as groceries since usually those don't stack as well as we might like. The hatch can fit small mattresses in and larger screen TVs. The coupe can better fit longer items since it has a good ten inches of length on the rear of a hatch. But how often does one need to travel with a large television, mattress or bumpers within the vehicle?

So really, it comes down to which car you might find more attractive because of handling or looks.

The coupe is more likely to swing the rear around since it has so much behind the rear axle in comparison with the hatchback. Stock for stock of course. That could be changed with a different suspension set up.

The cargo cover for the hatch (if it's a CX it won't have it) can be installed easily as long as you get the cover and the hardware clips.

ryanM

the guy is right. I don't care if it's a hatch or coupe, but I would be very embarrassing to have to roll the window old school way with that handle or w/ o ac during summer when it's over 100 degree 'round here (u can forget 'bout takin a girl out w/ that).
thats what it comes down to. this is the first time ive heard you actually make sense...

kinda off topic, my friends call me a pussy, but i HATE going the daily grind and trying to take the girl out in my car that can barely get up driveways, super stiff suspension, no AC, no CC, loud as f**k, etc. i would much rather keep my car off the road and daily drive a more comfortable, "luxurious" car, which is why i'm currently in the market for a lexus.

my point is this: driving in 100* heat with no AC or power steering or anything by choice doesnt make you some kind of badass, it makes you a retard.

i swear, some people take pride that they are tough enough to drive the most uncomfortable s**t on the street every day, it makes no sense.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cause being lighter isnt an advantage or anything...
If weight is an issue, you can take out all the amenities the coupe has and weigh in roughly about the same as the hatch. BTW, the DX coupes actually weighs in less than a DX hatch...