D15 SOHC V-tec turbo in a 2000 si

johnnyD

looking to swap out my d16y8 non-vtec for a JDM D15 SOHC V-tec w/turbo, is this swap possible? and is it worth it?

enycesam

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He's in Canada, their Si's are equiviliant to our EXs.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say its not worth it when you already have a single cam motor in there.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why not just turbo the d16...:what:

johnnyD

i would actually prefer to turbo the d16 considering the age and kms on the motor, but i am getting the d15 for a steal. Would putting a turbo in the d16 be more conventional then a full motor swap? what kind of price range am i looking at here to turbo the d16?

thanks for all the input,

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You would want to rebuild the bottom end(which I really recommend, or you'll end up like me) to handle the boost anyways, so at that point the number of KM on your motor doesn't really matter. Plus dropping to a d15 is less displacement and you wouldn't get the same power you would out of the d16..displacement my friend...displacement

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well displacement isn't really the concern from 15 to 16. Not much difference, also just boost the y8, it's already vtec and quiet possibly the best single cam to have anyways. Take the d15 and maybe use it if your motor blows or something like that but don't downgrade.

johnnyD

im thinking that making the y8 a turbo is right way to go... would a d15 turbo be compatible with a d16? anyone know a good place to order them?

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea. good idea. d16y8 stock can hold up to 210whp safe, daily. Just keep the y8 and start building a turbo kit. That's what I'm doing. Checkout my build thread in my sig.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have the funds build it then boost it.

If not.

Boost it then build it. It's virtually the same price it's just one you get power right away and then even more power. and the other you get more power right away but have to spend all the money up front.

johnnyD

if i run the turbo on the stock bottom end, what can i expect? also, any suggestions for a cost efficient way of replacing the bottom.

ill try to post some pics within the next few days

thanks again for all the input

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to build it : pistons, rods, and possibly crank too.

expectations on a stock y8 ( depending on quality of parts and health of the engine of course, and how much boost you run ): anywhere from 180-210whp