d16 power options

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Ok here's the dilemma I have a d16y8 in my 96 civic coupe...
mods include intake, header, and 2.25 exhaust. Oh and skunk2 manifold with 68mm throttle body. Msd cap and rotor with external blaster coil and 8.5 wires. I am trying to do anything to make it a little faster.
some suggested to get an p28 ecu chipped, and a friend told me that would help out alot since obd2 doesn't really help. Another friend said walbro fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Cam? Im asking you guys because you guys are the experts...and I heard this before but I do not wanna do an engine swap I wanna keep my d. Another option is turbo but I do not have the money for that yet. So thanks for your help guys any input is appreciated. Thanks.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a p28 ecu chipped to your mods. if you want to get a walbro fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, then get bigger injectors and get a fully tunable ecu program like hondata or neptune

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hold off on the fuel pump and injectors. You dont need them yet.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For the amount of money you'll throw in to try to make it "faster" N/A, save it for F/I. Just my $0.02.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Well I need to make it a little faster by like next week. Ecu sounds reasonable doesn't it?

ekcoope

U really wont get any fast w\o internal mods or a bisimoto cam or head work like springs and retainers and such to extend ur pwr band or just save so u can boost it try dis site http://www.d-series.org they can help u alot.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Well I think all that is expensive and all I have to work with right now is like 250...
Chipped ecu for my mods will cost 200

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why do you need to make it faster by next week?

With $250, you might as well save your money. You're just wasting it. Save towards nitrous, turbo/supercharger, or a swap. If you want to get an ECU, go for it. Once you're done with whatever you need to make your car fast for, sell it and go back to saving.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Well the that guy said to tell him everything I've done to the car and hell plug it in and even make the vtec hit at 4800 rpm and ..he says it should guarantee atleast 15hp and better throttle response and acceleration.

emerican

Registered VIP
68 mm t-body on a d series is pretty oversized man most people just use b series 60mm ones. Just my input

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
You most likely wont be able to tell the difference with the chipped ecu other than throttle response but that dosent mean its faster.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're really set on trying to make your d16 faster, invest in a clutch and lightened flywheel. It's not a power adder but the lightened flywheel basically lets your engine rev up faster so you can accelerate faster.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Flywheel Ey umm around how much is a flywheel how much is it? How much of a beach isit yo put it on?
I do wanna boost but not yet mayb in a couple of months

techavluis

Registered VIP
whats your end gold with this car? hp? money? time? n/a vs boost? then we can say what may be better to buy now. but the p28 is good for ALOT of options. a few little things need to change in your car to go with obd1 tho. but i wouldnt "chip" it.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
Umm well I need to be a wee bit faster in like a 2 week period and then I can boost in a couple of months.

Alex_fl05

Flywheel Ey umm around how much is a flywheel how much is it? How much of a beach isit yo put it on?
I do wanna boost but not yet mayb in a couple of months
Just search on Craigslist. You might get lucky and find something good. I got a Stage 2, 6 puck racing clutch and a 7 lb ClutchMasters flywheel both for $105