D16y5 vs D16y8?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
will the intake mani from the auto y8 work on the 5 speed y5 if that is what i end up doing? is there anything else that i could swap to maybe get a little more out of it cause im still not sure about keeping the y8.......im still up in the air with it

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If I could go back and have a choice of a motor for a DD, I'd get a y5 for the gas mileage. I don't drive fast anymore so all I care about is saving money. But B-Series (particularly B18B) is more ideal for me since it has good power:torque ratio and still gets good MPG ;).
why would you swap if you dont drive fast anymore? and only care about saving money?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that wasn't me that siad that lol......im looking to get the best out of the two or something i guess any answers to ^

Hondacore

King of Flat Black
5+ Year Member
yeah...you know what?

i like my z6 motor...but i have a y8 in my hatch. fun stuff.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oic well im just not sure what to do......anyone know if the intake manifold will work?

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oic well im just not sure what to do......anyone know if the intake manifold will work?
Intake will bolt up, but y5 vtec is different then y8's vtec. You'll have to run an hx ecu and hx wiring harness with a 5-wire primary o2 sensor to have it work right though, trust me I had to with this setup. Or you'll have to get a chipped ecu and get it tuned to engage vtec around 2800 rpm's. Go to Honda-Tech and do some searching to find out for sure at what rpm the vtec-e (y5 head) engages.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i have the hx ecu but don't have any harness or wires from it i was told everything will work from my \
y8..........and i am goin to use the y8 headers with the o2 sensor that is already in it from the y8 will that be ok?

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i have the hx ecu but don't have any harness or wires from it i was told everything will work from my \
y8..........and i am goin to use the y8 headers with the o2 sensor that is already in it from the y8 will that be ok?
Use the ex wiring harness and o2 sensor, but you will need to get a tuned ecu (p28 I think) and tell the tuner that you have an hx head and vtec needs to kick in earlier. Remember another guy posted that the hx head only uses one valve until vtec kicks in, so if you use an ex ecu, you'll only be using 1 valve until 4800 rpms and it will run like crap after 2800.

The hx ecu needs a 5-wire o2 sensor and egr valve, so you'll get cel lights for those and the motor will go into limp mode to protect itself (thats what I've read antway).

You needed a chipped ecu to get around all these little differences between the ex and hx.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i sent u a pm on what i think i am goin to end up doin......tell me more about it in detail in pm

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anyone else know what else i will need to do cause this is what i am gion to end up runnging i think......the hx motor cause its already together and stuff with the 5 speed tranny......im goin to swap the intake mani from my y8 and the headers with a 4 wire o2 sensor in it.....i will be using the wiring from the ex because i don't have any with the hx.......

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think you shoulda just got a whole Y8 swap instead of messing with this hx headache...just my opinion.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i couldn't pass up the hx engine tranny ecu and linkage for 130 bucks.....lol

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
enhanced performace...? that's what it says in my honda book thinig.......or do they just say that to make it look good lol......

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well this is where im at now........take out the y8 rebuild it a lil bit and then put the hx tranny on and get a ex ecu and call it a day.......or just put the hx motor tranny and ecu in and everything will be ok.....but idk any more ideas or opioins?