D16Y7 to D16Z6 intake manifold swap

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
What up peeps...Originally I was going to swap in a D16y8 IM into my 98 LX but I found a sweet deal on a D16Z6 IM & TB. I know that the swap is virtually the same as the Y8, I just want to make sure I am getting everything I need in advance. Here is the list;

- D16Z6 IM
- D16Z6 TB (for parts, not going to replace my stock TB)
- D16Z6 IM gasket
- Extra vac. tubing
- Extra coolant

Is there anything else I'm missing and any advise before I head into this venture? I plan on diving into it this weekend. Thanks in advance.

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member
Why dont you just buy the z6 head, wiring harness, and ecu? That would make it vtec... And its cheap.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why dont you just buy the z6 head, wiring harness, and ecu? That would make it vtec... And its cheap.
Why dont you just answer the guys question instead of beating around it?

OP: If the z6 intake manifold and throttle body are complete, then all you'll need is a z6/y8 throttle cable, and a throttle cable bracket (one that bolts onto the manifold). Other than that, you should be set.

ocdjg

5+ Year Member

OP: If the z6 intake manifold and throttle body are complete, then all you'll need is a z6/y8 throttle cable, and a throttle cable bracket (one that bolts onto the manifold). Other than that, you should be set.
Oh so I don't have to reuse my stock TB? Sounds good then. I'll pick up a TB cable and bracket at Autozone or something.

I only found the IM and TB, not everything. Besides I don't mind being non-vtec =)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh so I don't have to reuse my stock TB? Sounds good then. I'll pick up a TB cable and bracket at Autozone or something.
Actually, you do have to re-use your throttle body. I think you need to swap the throttle rotor off the z6 onto your y7. Y7's use a 3 wire IACV, and z6/y8 use a 2 wire IACV. So yea, you'll need to reuse your y7 throttle body.

Parts store wont have a throttle cable or bracket. Going to have to either find them online somewhere, junkyard them, or go to Honda. Throttle cable is like $30 or so, and a bracket is less than $5 I think.

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
Actually, you do have to re-use your throttle body. I think you need to swap the throttle rotor off the z6 onto your y7. Y7's use a 3 wire IACV, and z6/y8 use a 2 wire IACV. So yea, you'll need to reuse your y7 throttle body.

Parts store wont have a throttle cable or bracket. Going to have to either find them online somewhere, junkyard them, or go to Honda. Throttle cable is like $30 or so, and a bracket is less than $5 I think.
Yeah that's what I thought I read before about this swap. I did think I was going to be able to re-use my current cable though. Bummer to find out that I can't but its all good. The car needs this swap either way =)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Throttle cable takes 5 minutes to swap. Thats the least of your worries with this swap.

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
Oh I know. The install was not what I was dreading, it was the cost. I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. My biggest concern is getting to the bottom bolt under the current IM and praying that the old gasket comes off easily.

JDMDRIVEREK

I'm trying to do the same swap Y7 with Y8 Manifold!
I purchased a new gasket from O'reillys, My ? is can i still use my OEM injectors/Fuel Rail?

I apparently know to use my OEM TB, basically get a TB cable & bracket?

& How do i get to that Middle bolt under the IM...? I cant seem to get my hand in their...

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
I'm trying to do the same swap Y7 with Y8 Manifold!
I purchased a new gasket from O'reillys, My ? is can i still use my OEM injectors/Fuel Rail?

I apparently know to use my OEM TB, basically get a TB cable & bracket?

& How do i get to that Middle bolt under the IM...? I cant seem to get my hand in their...
Yeah re-use your old injectors and fuel rail. To get to that bolt, you have to go under the car. At least thats what I was told.

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member

I just don't see the point in going through the hassel for something like this. Ive never done one of these what are the benefits? I couldn't see it making more than a 2hp difference. Someone enlighten me...

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just don't see the point in going through the hassel for something like this. Ive never done one of these what are the benefits? I couldn't see it making more than a 2hp difference. Someone enlighten me...
It basically opens up more options for intake setups. The y7 throttle body faces upwards, where as the y8/z6 face to the side. Without swapping the head out for a Vtec one, you really wont see any gains, power wise. Its mainly for intake setup, and looks. IMO it looks ALOT better than with the t/b facing upwards.

RonJ

Banned
It will be interesting to know whether the OP understood that this job was for looks rather than power gains.

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
I do understand that the gains on this one mod alone is very minimal. This swap is merely the first of several mods that I intend to do to my engine. The reason why I'm doing this one first and right now is because I'm getting a sweet deal on the components and I absolutely despise my current setup of having a curved tube going into my TB.

Brent_SI, eventually I'll swap out the heads for a v-tec one.

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member
It basically opens up more options for intake setups. The y7 throttle body faces upwards, where as the y8/z6 face to the side. Without swapping the head out for a Vtec one, you really wont see any gains, power wise. Its mainly for intake setup, and looks. IMO it looks ALOT better than with the t/b facing upwards.
Oh I knew it faced up but didn't think it looked to bad. Ive never had anything with a y7 so thats prolly why I don't think the upward one looked bad. oh well

JDMDRIVEREK

I left the Stock air box on top so regardless my intake pipe sit's side ways & i painted the box a candy red...
but it looks ricey, so i wanna ditch it. I have a VTEC head but i rather do a B series swap than waist money on a headgasket when my motor is perfectly fine. so basically for looks an the 5whp ill gain...

Ok ill def. give it a shot over the weekend & post pic's when i get time...
I have to find the TBC & bracket first...possibly off another Ex across the street at my local salvage..

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you just wanna improve the look of your intake, and make it look like it goes sideways, what about this?

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you just wanna improve the look of your intake, and make it look like it goes sideways, what about this?

i see you have a autozone fuel filter, mines seems to leak from the banjo bolt for some weird reason. did you torque yours or use that 3rd small gasket?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like a stock fuel filter to me.... :what: