d16y8 to b18b1

b18crazy

ok so my d16y8 in my 99 ex threw a rod bearing today and i have a b18b1 ls motor in perfect condition sittin in my garage. i am lookin to see if anyone has done this swap before and if they could tell me some things like if motor mounts and shift linkage are gonna be an issue? any help would be appreciated.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you'll need 99-00 SI driver side and tranny mounts as well as a b-series shift linkage and axles

b18crazy

ok so the ls shift linkage will work and the b18b1 tranny and driver side motor mounts won't fit? the b18 is in a 95 ls teggy right now

b18crazy

also i would like to know if i am gonna need a obd-2 to obd-1 conversion harness because the civic is obd-2 (v-tec) and the b18b1 is obd-1 (non v-tec)? i have never swaped a motor before so i'm tryin to get as much insite as possible before i attack this project.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also i would like to know if i am gonna need a obd-2 to obd-1 conversion harness because the civic is obd-2 (v-tec) and the b18b1 is obd-1 (non v-tec)? i have never swaped a motor before so i'm tryin to get as much insite as possible before i attack this project.
you'll need the SI mounts because only dc and eg parts can go together
if you dont use the LS engine harness then yes you'll need a conversion harness

Jason00

5+ Year Member
So, I'm doing this as my first ever swap as well, B18B1 into my 2000 civic EX. I just pulled my civic ecu today to plug up the teggy ecu and kind of freaked when the harness wouldn't match up. So if I strip the harness off the teggy it will wire up to the civic with no CEL codes or other issues? I wanna be able to pass inspection of course...

b18crazy

what i am planing on doing is swaping the entire engine harness, the wires that run inside of the teggys firewall. is there an easier way? i still have the d16y8 so could i just swap injectors and convert the b18 to 0bd2 without v-tec?

b18crazy

help please! i have the b18b1 in my 99 civic i just need some guidence for how this wiring should be done.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yes theres an easier way, dont use the teg wire harness. just get a obd1-obd2 conversion harness. omg it will save you a million hours of headache. im running lv/vtec obd1 in my 2000 civic using a conversion harness, that way if i ever decide to go back to obd2 (say, to sell the car) its as easy as unplugging the harness and swapping ecu's

b18crazy

ok i have looked at the conversion harness and if im using the p72 ecu from the teggy with the b18b1 the harness dosent look long enough to reach from the ecu to the engine harness.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need to use your stock harness, you will just have the Vtec Connection which you can't use unless you do a Vtec Head. The obd1 to 2 harness is not for vtec vs. non vtec. the b18b1 is out of a 96 teg? that is OBDII and your car is OBDII so you need to run the teg ECU to your facotry harness then put the motor in and hook everything up All but the vtec conn should work and you will need to extend one wire to iac I believe.... You will need mounts and axles and Linkage... That stuff you can research for since it is everywhere...

b18crazy

the motor and linkage and everything is already in. the b18b1 is out of a 95 ls teggy, obd1 p75. its goin into a 99 civic ex which was obd2 d16y8.

Jason00

5+ Year Member
So in my situation, my LS swap is out of my 99 integra so it's obd2, going into my 2000 Civic EX which I know is obd2. Since my Civic is v-tec and my LS isn't I will just have a left over plug at the ECU?? Does that not trip the CEL or anything.

My motor mounts just showed up in the mail, I plan to drop the LS into the Civic tomorrow evening.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So in my situation, my LS swap is out of my 99 integra so it's obd2, going into my 2000 Civic EX which I know is obd2. Since my Civic is v-tec and my LS isn't I will just have a left over plug at the ECU?? Does that not trip the CEL or anything.

My motor mounts just showed up in the mail, I plan to drop the LS into the Civic tomorrow evening.
As long as you have the ECU for the NON VTEC B18 then you are fine... NO Cel because it doesn't have vtec connections....
ok so my d16y8 in my 99 ex threw a rod bearing today and i have a b18b1 ls motor in perfect condition sittin in my garage. i am lookin to see if anyone has done this swap before and if they could tell me some things like if motor mounts and shift linkage are gonna be an issue? any help would be appreciated.
SO in this statement the engine is in your Garage....
ok so the ls shift linkage will work and the b18b1 tranny and driver side motor mounts won't fit? the b18 is in a 95 ls teggy right now
In this statement it is a 95 teg (You used to have it say 96) when just before you said it is sitting in your garage... *scratches head pondering if you actually have a b18*
the motor and linkage and everything is already in. the b18b1 is out of a 95 ls teggy, obd1 p75. its goin into a 99 civic ex which was obd2 d16y8.
SO I am not sure exactly what you are doing since your statements don't really match....

However if I am correct you have b18b1 OBD1 going into a OBD2 car, so you need the jumper harness to your OBD1 ECu from the OBD2 harness....

b18crazy

sorry i must have hit 6 instead of 5 but yes it is a 95 teggy LS b18b1 obd1, i still have the entire car, however i wreaked it and bought a 99 civic ex d16y8 obd2. spun a rod bearing and now have the d16 out and the b18b1 in the civic. my only hold back is the wiring. now i have looked up the jumper harness and it looks as though its not right because when the d16y8 came out the wire harness for the motor ran underneath the battery tray and through the firewall into the ecu, no plugs in between. now the b18 had three plugs right before it ran through the fire wall. so now i am left with 1 plug in the civic chillin where the old ecu is and three plugs on the other side of the firewall in the engine bay that are for the b18. so theres a big gap and it don't look like the jumper harness is long enough

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you should use the harness from your D16 from ECU to the block... That is what I am doing in mine... Now I have the Y7 Non Vtec harness and going to a b18b1 non Vtec so I will use all connections...

Someone on here can correct me if I am wrong but you need to ditch the integra harness because it is a dash harness as well At least in the DC body it is....

b18crazy

so your sayin i need to take the whole harness off the b18 and put the d16 engine harness in its place? if so doesn't that mean injectors need to be swaped too? and then would i still use the p72 ecu from the teggy cause then i would need the harness right?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe everything including injectors are plug and play... Going to your D series injectors won't be enough flow for the B18... The ECU you need a jumper harness to go from your D16 harness to your B18 OBD1 ECU which is the point of the jumper harness