DIY license plate relocator

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Figured i'd post how to do it here since i just recently made my own license plate relocator and it works VERY well might i add.

Instructions are intended for use on a 6th gen civic. Other models may use this DIY as a guide i suppose.

Total Cost: approx. $4.00

Total Time: 15 min.

Tools needed:
Drill
Drill bits
Screwdriver(phillips and flat head)
Ratchet and sockets
Marker

What you need to buy:
4 x m6-1.00 x 16 bolts (in whatever style you prefer: allen head, phillips, flat head, hex cap)
4 x m6-1.00 nuts (lock nuts recommended)
2 x L-brackets (found mine with the deck building supplies @ lowes)
look similar to this:

Washers - optional (will disperse pressure on the bumper went mounting)

Procedure:

1. If the hole in your L-brackets are too small for the bolts you bought, use a drill bit slightly larger than the bolt but small than the head of the bolt and drill out the holes in the bracket.

(optional): Sand and paint the brackets the color of your choice

2. Remove your front bumper. This was done on a 2000 civic. For this car there were seven clips on top as well as two bolts on bottom, two screws on bottom, and a screw in each wheel well.

3. Bolt your license plate onto the brackets using two m6-1.00 x 16 bolts and two m6-1.00 nuts

(optional): Add a clubcivic.com license plate frame to give it some personality.

4. With the license plate bolted to the brackets, line it up with your bumper where you'd like the license plate to be and mark where you'll need to drill holes to connect the other side of the brackets to the bumper.

5. Drill out the markings you just made with the same drill bit you used earlier to drill out the holes in the L-brackets

6. Attach the license plate (which should already be on brackets) to the bumper using two m6-1.00 x 16 bolts, two m6-1.00 nuts, and optionally, two washers.

7. Put bumper back on and you're finished.

Final results:

From underneath

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks ok

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
dont really like the plate right there.

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mines like that...just with zip ties
yea i heard about using zip ties... but bolts cost like 98 cents a pair @ lowes. figured id spend the extra 50 cents to make sure i dont lose my license plate ;)

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i heard about using zip ties... but bolts cost like 98 cents a pair @ lowes. figured id spend the extra 50 cents to make sure i dont lose my license plate ;)
well its funny because i bought a plastic license plate bracket and zip tied that to the bumper and attached the plate. but before i did that i rigged a safety cable of sorts out of metal wire. so if it ever flies off its gonna be dragging under my car :lol:

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well its funny because i bought a plastic license plate bracket and zip tied that to the bumper and attached the plate. but before i did that i rigged a safety cable of sorts out of metal wire. so if it ever flies off its gonna be dragging under my car :lol:
LOL

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So what's the benefit from moving it five inches.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how about a relocator for a 98 with fog lights in where would you put one for that? still trying to figure one out one like an evo on the corner of the bumper.

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how about a relocator for a 98 with fog lights in where would you put one for that? still trying to figure one out one like an evo on the corner of the bumper.
my best guess for that one is drill holes in the bumper and just mounting the license plate to the bumper? :what:

i really dont know. lol

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you did a relocation, and didn't buy bumper plugs?

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you did a relocation, and didn't buy bumper plugs?
no sir, not yet. it was kind of a spur of the moment thing. i just went and bought the stuff and did it. but yea i need bumper plugs

hksdivision

5+ Year Member
Looks great! Nice job! This is exactly what I was looking to do for my license plate. I was going to construct one out of metal but this is a lot easier. I'll be doing this project this weekend.

Wilkz

5+ Year Member
i want to do this but idk what color bumper plugs to get. since my car is blueish/purple. i might just go with black. thanks for the write up.