driving help

seabeeunit87

5+ Year Member
ok its my first time driving a manual and im pretty good at it except when i come to a complete stop. i shift from neutral to first gear and balancing the cluth and gas makes me nervous cause i dont know how to balance them correctly and its even worse when theres traffic behind me. is there an easier way to take off from first gear when stopped??

Blackdagger

5+ Year Member
seabeeunit87 said:
ok its my first time driving a manual and im pretty good at it except when i come to a complete stop. i shift from neutral to first gear and balancing the cluth and gas makes me nervous cause i dont know how to balance them correctly and its even worse when theres traffic behind me. is there an easier way to take off from first gear when stopped??
Practice lots and lots of practice.

And untill you get it right if your on a hill use the emergency brake, if it is one that is between the seats, to hold you untill you can go.

Or do llike i do sometimes, and floor the gas and drop the clutch.. yeah thats always fun.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seabeeunit87 said:
what happens when u floor the gas and drop the clutch??
LOL... lots of smoke and a burning rubber smell.. haha! just go out to a parking lot and practice yore 1st gear take-offs... and dont worry about the people behind u... u dont know them and they probably did the exact same things u are doing... you will get the hang of it in like a week or two!

snaker

The Snake Awaits You
5+ Year Member
Just go to a parking lot & start from 1st gear...stop...repeat. Then try reverse for a while. Starting from a stop is the hardest part. Get good at that & it will all fall into place. ;)

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice picture of the truck.

I think you for starters should not worry about the traffic behind you and try to stay away from hilsl till you are more confident.

#1. Put the clutch to the floor.
#2. Put shifter in 1st gear spot.
#3. Slowly let the clutch out.
#4. Once the clutch is slowly coming out you will feel a spot where it starts to engage.
#5. Let is out a little little bit more to hook up better and then slowly start to give it a small amount of gas.
#6. As you hold the gas at the same spot continue to let the clutch out slowly, then you will feel your car start to pick up to a normal roll.
#7. Let of the clutch fully and then apply more gas.

P.S. If you down shift don't forget to rev first. Figured I would throw that in seeig you said you were new to standards. I have driven with countless people who never rev before downshifting and they have driven for a long time... kinda baffeles me when they cannot figure out why their shifting is still lurchy.

cm108kph

5+ Year Member
seabeeunit87 said:
is there an easier way to take off from first gear when stopped??
Get a Subaru. Hillholder clutch, baby.

Like they said, you just need some practice. I stalled a bunch of times whn I first learned stick too.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When I first started, I put some gas before I let the clutch go. I would say 1/5th or 1/4th of the way on gas and then let the clutch go slowly, as your car starts to move, a little more gas and let the clutch go a little more until you are not stepping on the clutch at all. But yeah, practice. I basically had no one to teach me how to play with a manual. This guy who sold me my first car had me drive around in his apartment's parking lot for 10 minutes as he was taking a shower. So practice!

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pineapples said:
When I first started, I put some gas before I let the clutch go. I would say 1/5th or 1/4th of the way on gas and then let the clutch go slowly, as your car starts to move, a little more gas and let the clutch go a little more until you are not stepping on the clutch at all. But yeah, practice. I basically had no one to teach me how to play with a manual. This guy who sold me my first car had me drive around in his apartment's parking lot for 10 minutes as he was taking a shower. So practice!
^^- good point, thats exactly how I learned to take off. I bought a car I couldnt even drive home and I taught myself. Practice on slow traffic roads, and dont worry about stalling at lights, everyone has done it and its the only way you will ever learn.

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i remember when i first started driving a manual....im still afraid of hills lol

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It took me a little while to learn how to drive manual also. If you drive for a week around your town or something, then you will get the hang of it pretty quickly. I still have some problems and I was on a really steep hill one time and I reved it up to 5k and dropped the clutch :lol: that was fun :rolf:

imbcruz

ItsMeBraulio!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just get to know your cluch know where the friction zone is at you could do this by just chillin in a parkin lot and with out hitting the gas start letting off your cluch and see where your car starts moving.. but just don't let it go alll the way... and don't sit too far back on your seat... start doing this and you will be a master in less than 2 days... just remember not to let go of the cluch all the way bring your foot up nice and slow and see where your friction zone is once your there just start using the gas... :thumbs up: you'll get there in no time

seabeeunit87

5+ Year Member
thanx for the advice guys i hope i can master this very easily and quick and its embarrassing not knowing how to drive a stick sometime

hoopcrazyt8

5+ Year Member
Team2000 said:
Nice picture of the truck.

I think you for starters should not worry about the traffic behind you and try to stay away from hilsl till you are more confident.

#1. Put the clutch to the floor.
#2. Put shifter in 1st gear spot.
#3. Slowly let the clutch out.
#4. Once the clutch is slowly coming out you will feel a spot where it starts to engage.
#5. Let is out a little little bit more to hook up better and then slowly start to give it a small amount of gas.
#6. As you hold the gas at the same spot continue to let the clutch out slowly, then you will feel your car start to pick up to a normal roll.
#7. Let of the clutch fully and then apply more gas.

P.S. If you down shift don't forget to rev first. Figured I would throw that in seeig you said you were new to standards. I have driven with countless people who never rev before downshifting and they have driven for a long time... kinda baffeles me when they cannot figure out why their shifting is still lurchy.
i dont understand why u need to rev up when u are downshifting? can u explain more on that?

hoopcrazyt8

5+ Year Member
do u guys used engine braking? i mean but downshifted gear by gear then letting the clutch go? or do u brake byt just puttin into N the brake?

snaker

The Snake Awaits You
5+ Year Member
hoopcrazyt8 said:
do u guys used engine braking? i mean but downshifted gear by gear then letting the clutch go? or do u brake byt just puttin into N the brake?
I do sometimes.

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hoopcrazyt8 said:
i dont understand why u need to rev up when u are downshifting? can u explain more on that?
Certainly.

Example used is my car:

Max speed of each gear.

1st = 60km/h
2nd = 95km/h
3rd = 140km/h
4th = 180km/h
5th = 240km/h

Sooo that being said, for example I am driving along in 2nd gear at say... 80km/h... I would be at about 7300RPM, so it makes more sence to shift into 3rd gear or even 4th.

So lets say, I am now going along in 4th gear at 80km/h. So my car has thge same speed, the engine is now revving LOWER and I save gas. Easy process we all understand.

NOW, if we are to revert back to 2nd gear... going along at 80km/h if I just hit the clutch and pull the shifter otu and put it into 2nd and let the clutch out, it will not be a smooth shift... AND while the clutch engages more and more it wil bring the revs up... so technicaly, they turn out to the same, I would be back in 2nd gear doing 80km/h and back to 7300RPM.

The difference is, if I rev the engine while the clutch is in and I got into second at 7300RPM, it will be smooth, in all hoesty there is more to explain, as really you should double clutch but just to give an example of why to downshift and rev.

Really if you are coming to a stop, just hit the clutch, pull the shifter into neutral and then just use the breaks, now your gears to slow down.

Did that answer your question?

hoopcrazyt8

5+ Year Member
yea that answer the most i knewn what u were talk about just i never learned that way thats all. about the stopin well it damage the gear box if i use the engine break b/c usully if i'm at 50mph then trying to stop i would go to 4th then let go the clutch then clutch again to go to 3rd the let go the clutch. it will slowly comes to stop.