Ek coupe build. **From rags to riches**

Redcoupeson

so i love looking at everyone's build and how far they've come from the beginning so i figured why not do my own. so here goes: (now there is the first build thread i've ever done so its gonna be really long at the beginning cause my car has changed alot since i bought it. the whold time i've had this car i've been paying child support and getting paid min wage.

i drive a 96 civic dx. here it is when i bought it. only thing done to it was 17" inch rims (way to big) mugen front lip, black housing headlights, and reverse taillights.

first thing i did to it to it was buy H.I.D.s and paint the brake calipers red.

not sure why the drivers side is much brighter than the passengers haha

here's my first shoot with the car. i thought it was so cool. looking back the rims were way too big and it sat way to high...

went through a ricer stage and let someone paint the ENTIRE interior in red and black, through some stickers on the side and even put neons...yes i said neons on the inside...

if you look at the air bag you can see it's painted red..

i kept the car like that for a while but i couldn't stand the 17 inch rims.. so i talked my buddy into trading for his 16" borbet type cs.

also picked up a fake set of red honda emblems...bad idea.

then i bought a subwoofer from my manager for $5 and picked up a amp for $20 and hooked em in.. i don't have any pictures of those cause it didn't stay in long before i traded both of them for a muffler tip. HKS Ti carbon fiber exhaust tip that came off of a sti. thats why it's so damn big

motor shot...

i got in a wreck during an ice storm and hit the back of a girls car. it didn't do much damage to hers but it cracked my grill and bent the s*** out of my hood. the paint chipped off the hood and it started to rust so i sprayed it with gray primer. it looked bad in that one spot so i decided to do the whole hood. (sorry i lost all the pics of all this happening cause i got a new hard drive on my computer) it stayed like that for 2 days before i changed my mind and wanted to do it in black primer so it at least it kinda blended in a little better. once we got the hood done i got an idea to do the whole car like that to give it that flat black look. real big mistake. oh and i also traded my front lip for a momo steering wheel. but then traded the steering wheel for a 5" tach. once again a little ricer but i was stupid lol. the grill was still cracked but i hammered the hood back into place a little bit but its still off line on the passenger side. if you look closely youll see what i mean

i picked up some fog lights off ebay, bought some ebay sleeves(i was in a real hurry to lower the car) traded the tach for a type r front lip. and traded the 16" borbet wheels for some 13" .

picked up some more cans of paint and went to work

i also took the carpet out and wanted to dye it red. but when i tried it didnt turn out red it turned purple so i got some black carpet paint and spray painted it black.

the car stayed like that for a good 10 months. half red half black. until one christmas i got a check for a good amount. i planned on painting the car back red and selling it and using all the money to get a new car but once i saw how good it looked after it got painted i decided to keep it. i painted it back red, bought some D2 coilovers, bought some spacers, a camber kit, new red carpet bought some fake bride seats(who wants seats that are 1k a piece in a car that at best will be worth 4k),got a nrg harness bar and nrg 6 point harness, bought a new lip because the type r cracked from being run off the road by another car, through some stickers on it, bought a new grill and this is how it came out....

interior still half red..looks like s*** on the dash

REPRESENT!!!

so i was driving down the road and all of a sudden i hear a shatter. i look in my side mirror and there is yellow glass all in the road.. i pull over and my fog light is shattered and under my car still hanging by the wires. turns out a rock hit in and the screw fell out and it hit the ground and shattered :(

had to take em out :(

after a while i wanted new rims so i bought some xxrs online and sold the borbets to a guy who let me borrow his rims until mine came in. heres what his looked like...

unfortunatlly my rims got backordered twice so i cancelled the order but i never got my money back so i was out $400. i hated those old ass prelude blades so i bought some 5 spoke wheels from my buddy for $50.

the camber was real jacked up from where i had the borbets on but i didnt have time to fix it. and one day i was driving down the road and i heard a loud noise but i couldnt figure out what it was. turns out one of the bolts holding the camber kit on had fell out. the other bolt was half way out but couldnt fall completely out cause it was blocked by the car. this was the loud noise i heard...

if i would have drove like that for a couple of more days with the camber kit on both sides half off then i could have wrecked and totaled the car.

then one day i went outside and saw this on my car..stupid ass buggies.

picked up a weighed light up shift knob also . i also bought some sidemarkers off password jdm and to this day have still not installed them. if anyone knows how to around spartanburg south carolina please let me know....

Redcoupeson

i hated the 5 spoke wheels so i started looking for new ones. i found a really good deal on some BBSs that i couldnt pass up so quickly drove to columbia and picked them up. they came with no tires so i had to save up for new tires.

BBS RM 15x6.5

so i decided to go to a place that sells cheap used tires but in really good condition. i wanted size 195/50/15. i get there and the guy informs me he only has 1 one those tires because they are hard to come by. on the way home a car in front of me was going really slow. in the middle of the road was a brick from someones yard and i ran over it and since my car is so low it popped my tire and shot up behind the tire. i called my buddy and we had to change it in the middle of the road while a cop shows up to make sure we are ok. the lip was touching the ground so we had to use 2 different jacks to get the car up and when i took the tire off i found the brick that i ran over.

i took the lip off and went to the nearest tire store. i decided to just buy new tires for the BBS and put them on but they didnt have my size so i ended up buying 195/55/15.

round around for a day and another tire went flat. turns out the rim wasnt sealed all the way so i had to take it back to the place and get them to real seal it.

i hated the monster truck tires so decided to buy the proper tires. don't you just love getting all 4 new tires. its like christmas.

AIRBAGS????

finally got my car looking good

and i also finally got around to fixing the camber. also picked up some LCAs

i really hate the big ass exhaust so i went and bought a new one. Megan racing full exhaust, test pipe, and headers. if any of you are wondering yes this is the first thing ive done to the motor at all.

last few pics with the car slammed. (can still go a inch lower on the coilovers.)

me and my buddy started to put the exhaust and headers on at 10 pm. we ran into some problems but finally got it on at around 1 am. i drove it up his drive way and since my car was so low the exhaust was touching the ground. Since the exhaust is actually for an EX not a DX the middle part didnt match up with the rubber thing holding it up so we left it. so it hangs out a good inch lower than the car. i drove it up the road and scratched the road the entire way. so i pulled it back in his drive way and raised it up a good 1 1/2 inches :(:(

and thats where i am today...i traded the knock off brides for my buddies black S2K seats. i installed a wink mirror. i still have the nrg harness and harness bar in but im trying to sell them so if anybody wants them or knows anyone that wants them let me know. 864-612-1199 =)=).

as of yesterday i taped notebook paper to the windshield and painted the dash.

here's the dash now.

this weekend i plan on wet sand the dash and paint it over and doing the wink mirror in zebra and pillars in zebra as well. i'll post pics as soon as i get them done. i also plan on redoing my wheels, tucking my exhaust, and slamming my car again

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok where to start

how much would it take for you to sell the RM's? i enjoy buying wheels, it makes me happy. and rs's or rm's will be then next set for me to build.

details on the work eurolines i seen sitting in the tires pic

how much for harness bar?

where you get knock off brides?

Redcoupeson

Ok where to start

how much would it take for you to sell the RM's? i enjoy buying wheels, it makes me happy. and rs's or rm's will be then next set for me to build.

details on the work eurolines i seen sitting in the tires pic

how much for harness bar?

where you get knock off brides?
i'd prob let the wheels go for $800 with tires. im torn between selling them for something wider, redoing them, or rebuilding them w/ all new lips. i'll sell the harness bar for $75 and the harnesses for $75 also. and i got the brides of eBay haha. oh and the work eurolines arent mine. they were at elite audio.

Last edited:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. hmm 800, then would you ship? im debating if i would wanna do this since they will be rebuilt to 15x8 and 15x9 or 10. if that harness bar isnt sold after christmas, you might be getting a pm.

i really suck at focusing on this swap, im half way there but i see wheels and all focus is lost. god damn wheel whore people

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Omg wow long thread but great progress....nice car..love it when the whole build is in on thread..ne plans for the engine?

Redcoupeson

ok. hmm 800, then would you ship? im debating if i would wanna do this since they will be rebuilt to 15x8 and 15x9 or 10. if that harness bar isnt sold after christmas, you might be getting a pm.

i really suck at focusing on this swap, im half way there but i see wheels and all focus is lost. god damn wheel whore people
i'd ship if the person paid for it. ive had trouble shipping stuff in the past where i paid for everything and got nothing. i wanna rebuild them to 15x9 but the lips for them are $120 a piece. i dont have that much right now. and i will probably have it after christmas. no one has made me an offer for it since i got it. i know how u feel about the wheel whore. ive had 7 different sets of wheels on this car. i want something wider but bbs are my dream wheel. idk what to do lol

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd ship if the person paid for it. ive had trouble shipping stuff in the past where i paid for everything and got nothing. i wanna rebuild them to 15x9 but the lips for them are $120 a piece. i dont have that much right now. and i will probably have it after christmas. no one has made me an offer for it since i got it. i know how u feel about the wheel whore. ive had 7 different sets of wheels on this car. i want something wider but bbs are my dream wheel. idk what to do lol
lol if i got them the only thing that would stay are the faces and barrels. all new bolts and lips all around and caps. i want to have a set built by spring. id definitely pay for shipping, that sucks you have had bad experiences. i havent yet, fingers crossed.

i know how you feel about going through sets. im on set number 10 right now. 15x8 et15 xxr something or other, they are just winter wheels. after winter ill have somethign else, unless im offered a good trade sooner. im trying to stay focused on the swap though since my clutch is going. after i get the swap in ill shoot you a pm, if not ill just end up buying a set of rs's. i want those specs with fully polished or chrome centers with gold bolts.

Redcoupeson

Omg wow long thread but great progress....nice car..love it when the whole build is in on thread..ne plans for the engine?
yeah sorry. ive done alot since i got the car and never did a build thread so its alot at once. i bought a turbo kit for the motor but ended up selling it cause i needed money. eventually i want to get vtec cause right now its sohc non vtec.

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
its looking like 1sikcivic is gonna have some competition on who can go the lowest. even though 1sikcivic is lower. But he stated he still has 1 inch so iono....

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not worried, he isnt stupid enough to go as low as me

jack spots are 2 inches off the ground, im 1.25 inches from tucking rim on 15's. he also isnt on 15x8 et15, which makes it much harder to be this low

oh and i got something special coming =) i see another inch or so in my future. come spring ill be tucking to rim. also my rears arent maxed, i just hate reverse rake. it looks foolish

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Dont have any other rims left huh. 1 sik I would of given you my nrg bar it just didnt allow me enough room.

CH33V5

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Registered VIP
This is dope man. Definitely like where it's came. Those BBS's look so sick.

Redcoupeson

its looking like 1sikcivic is gonna have some competition on who can go the lowest. even though 1sikcivic is lower. But he stated he still has 1 inch so iono....
oh i can go much lower. i just cant right now with the exhaust hanging so damn low. need to tuck it and slam the car. then 1sikcivic will be very jealous =)=)

Redcoupeson

lol if i got them the only thing that would stay are the faces and barrels. all new bolts and lips all around and caps. i want to have a set built by spring. id definitely pay for shipping, that sucks you have had bad experiences. i havent yet, fingers crossed.

i know how you feel about going through sets. im on set number 10 right now. 15x8 et15 xxr something or other, they are just winter wheels. after winter ill have somethign else, unless im offered a good trade sooner. im trying to stay focused on the swap though since my clutch is going. after i get the swap in ill shoot you a pm, if not ill just end up buying a set of rs's. i want those specs with fully polished or chrome centers with gold bolts.
ive tried to trade for some xxrs around here. i told them id give them my wheels and tires for just their rims plus $400 so i can buy new tires but noone will do that. o well. what i plan on doing to the rims is repainting the faces cocaine white, get gold centercaps with red bbs logo, and gold bolts, and fully polished lips. then ill try and sell them for something wider. im not worried about my motor. id rather it look good and be slow than look shitty and be fast.

Redcoupeson

im not worried, he isnt stupid enough to go as low as me

jack spots are 2 inches off the ground, im 1.25 inches from tucking rim on 15's. he also isnt on 15x8 et15, which makes it much harder to be this low

oh and i got something special coming =) i see another inch or so in my future. come spring ill be tucking to rim. also my rears arent maxed, i just hate reverse rake. it looks foolish
i am stupid enough to go LOWER than u and i will lol. my exhaust is like an inch off the ground right now cause i lowered the back a little more. lets have a contest. once i get my exhaust tucked then well post pics on see who is lower driven daily.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i am stupid enough to go LOWER than u and i will lol. my exhaust is like an inch off the ground right now cause i lowered the back a little more. lets have a contest. once i get my exhaust tucked then well post pics on see who is lower driven daily.
do you know how low i am?

ok, im down for this. come spring we will see, but you better be ready to have subframe be less than one inch off the ground...and cut strut towers, rolled and pulled fenders, and frame notch. how low your exhaust is irrelevant, subframe is what matters.

oh and while your low, you have to be wide too. none of that pussy s**t like 15x7 et 25, so you better get the bbs' widened. lol 15x8 et15 minimum?

deal? let the fun begin =) ill even give you a advantage. ill be dropping another inch yet and my fender will sit on rim lip. idk if ill have my wheels in time, but i can make these work. im excited for this, but just know im willing to destroy my car to be low. i care less