engine swap question????

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wanna swap the engine on my 97civ ex any suggestions on which would be the best not too expensive choice and any good place online i could get it from

a100100

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
h22

its a b***h gettin in there from what i hear, but its the cheapest (sorta). or go ls/vtec

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How much money were you planning to spend? What are your goals (racing, torque, just plain fun)?

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
How much money were you planning to spend? What are your goals (racing, torque, just plain fun)?
anywhere from 1000 to 1500 and its not for any of those reasons but out of need but i wanna get something a lil better than my old stock one

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd say Integra LS (b18b), but I haven't studied that or many other motors. I'm going straight for the b16, for my own reasons, but that'd be out of your price range.

But IMO look at the b18b.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OBDII B-series if you want it smog legal. Since you have an EX and want something better, I'd steer clear of any other D-series motors. And of course you're going to probably want a hydro transmission. I'm not sure about the price of a B16A2 motor ('99-'00 Si), but I'm used to them usually being over hyped and therefore more expensive than they should be. perhaps they've changed though.

I'd recommend an LS motor though (B18B). B20B is also nice, though you're going to have to find a transmission from either a '99-'00 Civic Si (B16A2), LS (B18B), or GSR (B18C1). There's also the CTR and ITR trannies... but they're much more expensive than the ones I listed.

hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/info.html
hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/index.html

hmotorsonline.com

Pay attention to if it's complete or a long block.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
HYBRID-EK said:
Yeah but a B16 will kill a Ls
He asked cheapest. Not bang for buck.

Slap a B16 tranny on an LS and it'll kill the stock B16. :what: You don't want to keep an LS tranny in a Civic anyway (unless you're just wanting fuel economy because of the long gearing).

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
He asked cheapest. Not bang for buck.

Slap a B16 tranny on an LS and it'll kill the stock B16. :what: You don't want to keep an LS tranny in a Civic anyway (unless you're just wanting fuel economy because of the long gearing).

everyone says B16 tranny with a LS, i think LS with a LS tranny and a good clutch..

what kills the Ls is the rev, and the diff between the Ls and b16 trans is about +500rpm's or 10+ mph in the LS trans.. so your not loosing much.

I say LS or GSR, B16 is a b***h motor IMO.. even tho the LS has ls HP it will pull better then a B16 with the right setup

(Yea i know i only delt with B16's for awhile but i was gettin them Cheap, 500 long block 900 with a trans. ) couldnt beat that for a JDM motor

a100100

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dipset891 said:
i was looking at this one http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30023
but i wanna know what extra stuff would i have to get to fit it in my 97 ex
first off, its obd1 so it would prolly be illegal to put that motor in your car. but if you want it anyway, youd have to convert to obd1 which requires a harness...not too big a deal. and youll need a tranny, axles, shift linkage, ecu, new motor and tranny mounts (i think).

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah you would be looking for a motor thats OBD2 (1996 or newer) if you want to pass inspection

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B18B,, B16A, B18C, B18C5 ...in that order

H22A is cheap, but getting mounts will add to the cost overall.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
After having had to help customers buy replacement parts for JDM motors... I'd stay away form them for the most part.

Sure, some aren't too differnt than the US counterparts... but how much do you know is the same? And if it's close enough to the US motor... why buy the JDM one?

Buying one local means you don't pay shipping too btw.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with NOFX, JDM-hype on the engines is dumb.

You pay more for the JDM-goodness, but you dont really have any idea what youre getting. Everywhere claims that since in japan people drive their cars less the cars obviously are going to have less mileage on them. Still do the math, some of these motors are 10-15 years old now... you think they still have only 30k miles on them? Plus, there is always going to be people who drive their car more then other people, because they have the means to do it... if someone can afford an integra type-r, im sure the taxes to drive the car more miles mean less to them. And think about if its a newer motor... why is it already on the shores of the US? Person just got rid of it that fast? I Find some of the JDM-motor-dealings quite fishy myself.

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive looked around and and this is not a bad deal i just wanna know what extra stuff would i need to fit a 170HP - B16A VTEC OBD1 into my 97 ex

strictlybusines

5+ Year Member
I have a 96 ex and i went b16b with a spoon tranny for about 4200 but if you want to aviod boost go with the B16A2 from the junk yard with a non-lsd tranny out of a wrecked si and start building it to race.

If you want boost
go with the LS Integra engine with the same tranny, get the rest of the stuff too. the other cc members listed that. get a cheap jdm turbo off ebay with the one year warrenty full kit for 800 bucks and blow your engine while your having a good time. or build the block then boost its up to you do whatever.

Try to invest in JDM engines they are aluminum but strong as steel. I love my B16B im hard and its harder.