Erratic idle, power loss ideas?

Polestar

Alright, sorry for the delay on getting this info. But like I said living in Northern Canada makes it a little hard to get outside and work on your car.

Hooked up a reader, no errors or anything came up.

Idle, running warm. No load nothing on.

By polestarxx at 2011-04-10

Full Load. Also did see it at one point drop below 12.

By polestarxx at 2011-04-10

My rad fans are constantly turning on and off. Even when the AC is on. Runs for a few seconds, turns off.

Would it hurt anything to turn off one of the rad fans to see if that's the issues is that the two rad fans are drawing too much power?

It actually didn't seem to have the power loss when sitting idle here, it happens more when driving around. Like today it's a wet cool day and even when driving down the road with my foot on the accelerator I can hear the power loss. Headlamps dim, air power lowers (like as if I turned it down two knotches) then it slowly comes back to full power 2-3 seconds later.

RonJ

Banned
If the idle speed was in spec, then the alternator is kaput.

Polestar

If the idle speed was in spec, then the alternator is kaput.
They apparently replaced the alternator a few months back (I have the paperwork to support that directly from Honda) . What should the alternator be putting out? Just because this is all under warranty still (2005 Civic that I have extended warranty on) I need to be able to tell this to Honda.

Thanks! :(

Polestar

They apparently replaced the alternator a few months back (I have the paperwork to support that directly from Honda) . What should the alternator be putting out? Just because this is all under warranty still (2005 Civic that I have extended warranty on) I need to be able to tell this to Honda.

Thanks! :(
Like I said before they also installed a new battery, but I think they put in the cheapest battery they could. Could that be causing any issues with the load?

RonJ

Banned
Under no load, the alternator should output ~14.5V, so your no-load reading is just a little low.

Under high load, the alternator should maintain 13.5V-14V. This is where your alternator fails. Your reading is only about battery voltage, so under load, the battery basically cannot charge and the system voltage is low. Your alternator needs to be replaced. Take the car back to Honda and tell them the results of your voltage tests.

Polestar

Well since I'm still here waiting here's the outcome.

9am "return visit" appointment. I get no call or anything so I just show up at 430pm. Car is still sitting in the same spot. I go and ask the desk and they tell me oh yeah it was already in. They tell me it'll be a few mins. I make sure to be able to see outside. I see them rush it in. I go to the counter and ask what's going on. They say oh just retesting it. I go out to the shop with the tech to explain what's happening. 3-4 techs come over and underload it's putting out just under 12. They bring in another 05 civic and it's doing the same. So they increased my idle rpm to 900 as it was sitting at 500. I had also brought it in for a oil changed and to fix a reoccurring back break squeak neither were done. Complained to the service manager and got an oil change for free eventhough I had a coupon for it. (kept the coupon) and driving around no change.

Lights off with just the ac on same surges. Fml fk Honda service lying bunch of assholes.

RonJ

Banned
Well since I'm still here waiting here's the outcome.

9am "return visit" appointment. I get no call or anything so I just show up at 430pm. Car is still sitting in the same spot. I go and ask the desk and they tell me oh yeah it was already in. They tell me it'll be a few mins. I make sure to be able to see outside. I see them rush it in. I go to the counter and ask what's going on. They say oh just retesting it. I go out to the shop with the tech to explain what's happening. 3-4 techs come over and underload it's putting out just under 12. They bring in another 05 civic and it's doing the same. So they increased my idle rpm to 900 as it was sitting at 500. I had also brought it in for a oil changed and to fix a reoccurring back break squeak neither were done. Complained to the service manager and got an oil change for free eventhough I had a coupon for it. (kept the coupon) and driving around no change.

Lights off with just the ac on same surges. Fml fk Honda service lying bunch of assholes.
Bozos. Talk to a manager and give him in letter form your battery voltage test results. Tell him the alternator is bad and needs to be replaced.

Polestar

Talked to the service manager, which is how I got the free oil change. whoopdedoo

They brought in another 05 Civic like I said and tested that one and it gave the same charging voltage.

It's a new alternator that's in there less than 3 months old (changed before to try to fix this) They were saying they might just swap it out (they don't care it's under warranty from Honda) But I think that alternator for my VIN just sucks.

Honestly think I have to go higher than anyone in this location and complain to a district manager or something.

It was warm today when I drove home from the dealership and had the AC on... same power surge.. AC goes warm when it surges for a few seconds then go's back to ice cold. Happens more often when stopped at a light, and when coasting. But also happened when driving.

lscivic48

normal rpm at idle should be around 600-700 and even with the a/c the car will compensate for that to keep it around the rpm range

lscivic48

normal rpm at idle should be around 600-700 and even with the a/c the car will compensate for that to keep it around the rpm range. i would start checking ground wires to make sure they are clean and all connected

lscivic48

normal rpm at idle should be between 600-700 rpms even with the a/c on cause the car will compensate for it. i would start with checking the ground wires but if it's still under warranty i would make the place you bought it from cause if you mess around to much they made void the warranty on you

Polestar

So here's a update service manager tells me that it's normal for the air to lower when the rpm drops below 1000. Going in today to get the car appraised to get a new car lol. 2012 civic here I come.