Exhaust help

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys,

So im doing the ex header swap on my 96 dx coupe right now. I just bought an oem ex header for cheap, all the gaskets, the o2 extension wires for the secondary sensor, and a new yonaka exhaust. So my problem is I need a catalytic converter. I was looking at a brand new magnaflow cat but its kinda pricey for my taste being in school and such. I was wondering if there is any huge differences going with a high flow cat. My buddy has one on his civic which was wrecked so I could get it for cheap. So what im saying is would you guys get a high flow? or test pipe? or just a real cat? Also im in NY so I have no smog to worry about..

I would apperciate any help on this, thanks.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first of all its not a header, its an exhaust manifold. second, if you could get a high flow for CHEAP, then get it. its a DEAL, especialily if you dont have to worry about smog. install that bad boy and expect more torque. Just ask your buddy this same question, he knows the answer bettter at first hand.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first of all its not a header, its an exhaust manifold. second, if you could get a high flow for CHEAP, then get it. its a DEAL, especialily if you dont have to worry about smog. install that bad boy and expect more torque. Just ask your buddy this same question, he knows the answer bettter at first hand.
Exhaust manifold.. you get the point. Thanks for the advice though man.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is there anything wrong with a test pipe? again I dont have smog/emissions.. but the one on the clubcivic store is $55...

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree if you can get a high flow cat cheep go for it. ive never been a fan of test pipes.

high flow wont throw cel on will it? im kinda on the fence about all this.. I just want a reasonable price since I dont have much.. college :(

emerican

Registered VIP
It may not when we talked about it over pm i said the ebay high flow cats would throw a cel, because the ebay high flow cats are just test pipes thats what all the ones i have seen are. If you go that route all you have to do is get the defoulers and cel is taken care of.
Im not a huge fan of test pipes, but not against them either they usally make the exhaust a little more raspy, but not too bad if its a good exhaust which you have cause we have the same one.
Im glad the manifold is working out for you man that money helped me buy a few new things for my ride as well.

emerican

Registered VIP
The name brand legit high flow cats may not throw a cel im not sure about them.

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It may not when we talked about it over pm i said the ebay high flow cats would throw a cel, because the ebay high flow cats are just test pipes thats what all the ones i have seen are. If you go that route all you have to do is get the defoulers and cel is taken care of.
Im not a huge fan of test pipes, but not against them either they usally make the exhaust a little more raspy, but not too bad if its a good exhaust which you have cause we have the same one.
Im glad the manifold is working out for you man that money helped me buy a few new things for my ride as well.
yeah man, I remember you saying that. What are these defoulers that you speak of though?

Jeffhondadc5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And no problem bro, worked out for me as well! :D

emerican

Registered VIP
The defoulers are used on the secondary 02 to fool the ecu into thinking a regualr cat is there. The 02 sensor is looking for a certain amount of exhaust flow a test pipe increases over cat so putting the defouler in the way of it stops the cel. If im wrong about this someone else chime in, but thats how i have always understood it.

travelingtom

giggidy giggidy(.)(.)
The defoulers are used on the secondary 02 to fool the ecu into thinking a regualr cat is there. The 02 sensor is looking for a certain amount of exhaust flow a test pipe increases over cat so putting the defouler in the way of it stops the cel. If im wrong about this someone else chime in, but thats how i have always understood it.
that is the exact reason for my engine light, but the wiring for an 02 sensor isn't even there, whoever did the original swap in my car cut the f**king wires off!!!!! dumbasses!!!!

emerican

Registered VIP
^ damn i dont see why anybody would do that. im sure you could wires another one up if your dedicated enough. Id at least try it i cant stand to see a check engine light.