fix-it ticket on a vehicle i no longer own

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah pretty sure vjf is right about not getting off, unless you can find your receipt from getting the tint which proves how dark it was anyway. And I don't know about where you are but out here if you get a fix it ticket you just gotta bring it to the police station with your stuff fixed and get it signed off, never even go to court if you do it within 2 weeks. Unless I've just been getting the nice cops lol
I'm pretty sure the same applies to NYS. As long as you get it fixed and show proof, they let you go.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
unless you can find your receipt from getting the tint which proves how dark it was anyway.
I never even thought of that, but its a really good idea. Not too many people hold onto receipts for that long though.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I suppose it depends on the laws in your state. I had about $700 worth of fix it tickets from a state trooper. I sold the car and took the bill of sale to the hq near my house and showed it to them and they signed off on some paper work and no more tickets. It didnt transfer to the new owner either. So my advice is go down to the station before your court date and ask. it can thurt anything.

stuco

5+ Year Member
The only way you are going to get out of paying is to prove that it was 50% tint.

stuco

5+ Year Member
I never even thought of that, but its a really good idea. Not too many people hold onto receipts for that long though.
Always keep receipts for window tinting. You never know when something like this will happen, he could have possibly gotten out of it at the scene of the ticet if he had the receipt handy.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Now that I think about it, I doubt that. There is nothing linking the tint job on the receipt to the truck he was driving. Just because he has a receipt that says 50% tint on it doesnt mean its 50% tint on his truck.....especially when the cops reader is coming out at 39%.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now that I think about it, I doubt that. There is nothing linking the tint job on the receipt to the truck he was driving. Just because he has a receipt that says 50% tint on it doesnt mean its 50% tint on his truck.....especially when the cops reader is coming out at 39%.
that and he GOT 50% put on. Windows can come with a little bit of factory tint. So a 50% on top of a 11% factory tint would give you 39% on your windows.

EDIT: And if you have factory tint, I believe the glass manufacturers have to have a little label in the glass. bottom right or bottom left... not sure. If I remember right it gives factory tint specs. This is a requirement from USDOT.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
that and he GOT 50% put on. Windows can come with a little bit of factory tint. So a 50% on top of a 11% factory tint would give you 39% on your windows.
Thats another good point. However, it would be 89%. Tint percentage is rated at how much light it lets through. The lower the percentage, the darker the tint. Good point though on the factory tint.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i thought when you buy a car you buy its tickets as well? meaning if you buy the car and if it has any remaining tickets unpaid then the buyer has to pay them?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i thought when you buy a car you buy its tickets as well? meaning if you buy the car and if it has any remaining tickets unpaid then the buyer has to pay them?
It might be different in other places, but I know here, you cannot sell a car with active tickets, they have to be paid in full before the car can be sold.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It might be different in other places, but I know here, you cannot sell a car with active tickets, they have to be paid in full before the car can be sold.
so if i tell the judge i sold it and thats the law in my state am i going to get another charge? :x

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so if i tell the judge i sold it and thats the law in my state am i going to get another charge? :x
If you have that law in your state, I'd say no, as it's up to the DMV to keep track of that. If he asks, just say you thought you paid the tickets in full and didn't know the tickets were still active.