Gas Mileage + power?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
ok i don't need 200.. i just want faster and more torque than i have now. yeah i know i'll sacrifice some mileage but i want to get no lower than 25 mpg... I would like to do a stock swap and do more things as i go along...

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hear both good and bad about the b20. what would i get horsepower and torque with a b20? and what are the pros and cons of the b20 vs gsr?

CRVtec will beat a GSR if built right. and just FYI, horsepower is a made up number dirived from torque and engine speed. you should be focusing on torque curve.

with all these questions, you have AOLT of researching to do.

Edit: you can throw a 50 shot on it, get close to 200, and still retain MPGs

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Alright.. well i've decided to go with the GSR swap because they are easier to get. cheaper. and still have potential. I still have a lot of research to do. Thank you all for your help.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dude for the price of a GSR swap, and all the work involved, you could easily piece together a decent turbo for under 2k......AND you would retain your gas mileage, except while in boost. Nobody has bothered asking, and they should have since it seems you dont have that much knowledge about cars.....but why is it that you dont want to go turbo?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i don't need 200.. i just want faster and more torque than i have now. yeah i know i'll sacrifice some mileage but i want to get no lower than 25 mpg... I would like to do a stock swap and do more things as i go along...
Most streetable builds in a Civic stay above 25mpg, as long as you don't drive the crap out of it. I wouldn't worry too much about the gas mileage, if I were you.

normally aspirated.
By that you mean naturally-aspirated right??
Normally aspirated and naturally aspirated are two different terminologies for the same thing. Neither are incorrect.

Shinta

5+ Year Member
Nobody has bothered asking, and they should have since it seems you dont have that much knowledge about cars.....but why is it that you dont want to go turbo?
+1 Good call vjf

Normally aspirated and naturally aspirated are two different terminologies for the same thing. Neither are incorrect.
Learned something new today :oops:

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Either way, this kid is asking to go fast, go fast, go fast!!!!!! If your going fast all the time, whether you have a boosted d series or a stock gsr(which your spending approx 2000$ for these) your not going to get great MPG, these cars get good MPG under normal driving conditions. So it's one or the other Ricky Bobby.

khmaiboiremix

EM1 FNR CUSTOMS
b20/vtech will do. my guys hatch beat a eagle talon with a turbo swap from a evo. he was pullin about 250 with a tune up and a hondata ecu. great car

akimm17

5+ Year Member
so yea, why dont you want to boost? hell if i had the money i would.
anyways no replacement for displacement remember!

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
I don't want to boost because my engine has 200,000 miles on it i'd rather just have a fresh start and not have to deal with a turbo. lol. I am also just considering getting a 00 SI instead and turbo that. I'm keeping my eyes open for one. once again thank you all for your help

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't want to boost because my engine has 200,000 miles on it i'd rather just have a fresh start and not have to deal with a turbo. lol. I am also just considering getting a 00 SI instead and turbo that. I'm keeping my eyes open for one. once again thank you all for your help
Build the engine! Then it'll be like new, and it'll be able to handle tasty amounts of boost.

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Oh... and i don't drive my car like a d**k. i just want to have more power for when i want to have some fun.. autoX or just goofing off... normally i drive nice and slow and keep the rpms under 3k... Just cause i'm young doesn't mean that i'm stupid and drive like a d**k. lol

I have not looking into rebuilding my engine... I need to do my research on that. but why rebuild my engine and turbo when i can swap for the same price and turbo that when i'm ready?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
i do not know much about nitrous but i have searched and most people say it ruins your engine and it would be better to turbo.. thats just what i have read.. tell me if i am wrong.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have not looking into rebuilding my engine... I need to do my research on that. but why rebuild my engine and turbo when i can swap for the same price and turbo that when i'm ready?
They're not the same price at all. Some Eagle rods, Vitara pistons, and ARP head studs all together will run you under $600. There are many D-series motors with just that pushing 250-350 whp.

i do not know much about nitrous but i have searched and most people say it ruins your engine and it would be better to turbo.. thats just what i have read.. tell me if i am wrong.
Any method of forced induction is going to do pretty much the same thing to your motor (though turbocharging and supercharging are more similar to each other than nitrous). No matter whether you're spraying, belt-driven, or exhaust-driven, it's all going to produce similar wear on your motor. It's about how much power you want to put out and for how long.

Nitrous gets the bad stigma because uneducated people put nitrous kits on their stock motor and spray excessive amounts for extended periods of time. Then their motor blows up. If you use nitrous responsibly (or build your engine), then it'll be just as reliable as the other methods of forced induction.

Ninjeff

The brake is on the right
5+ Year Member
Oh go buy a hybrid =)
Not to jack the thread here, but ive been wondering when someone will build a hybrid "hot" car. Something that goes fast and uses the electric motor to make some good torque.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16 is a waste,get gsr or type r motor,ls/vtec is good but isn't reliable unless the builder really knows his s**t.

to save u all the trouble boost the d-series motor because u can spank them all motor b-series swapper on the street easy.

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
if i rebuild my engine with the Eagle rods, Vitara pistons, and ARP head studs. you saying that people are getting 250-300 with that and turbo right? but even so. i don't need that much power. it is my daily driver. and will it still matter if i have 200,000 miles on it? (sorry if it is a stupid question but i haven't done my research yet. you guys are too fast for me) thanks for the help