got my first gun today

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
How do you like it? I am thinking of getting the same thing but in the compact version.
Its a great gun. My only complaint is i don't like the factory front sight.
When you aim the front sight dose not completely fill the gap between the rear sights. Other than that i love it. I am planing to get a wide fiber optic front sight to take care of that anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also just recently picked up my first gun. S&W M&P9 so far i have put almost 450 rounds (cheapest ammo i could find) threw it without a hitch. I love it. I also picked the wife up a Walther P22 just for fun and that damn gun is a pos. Bought it brand new and almost every round has problems feeding or ejecting. The 2 biggest problems that i have found is the feed ramp that loads the bullet into the barrel dose not go all the way to the barrel and the second being that the slide comes into to much contact with the hammer making the slide to heavy for a little 22 bullet to blast the all the way back after each shot. All in all its just a poorly designed gun. Wish i would have got the Walther Pk380 for her instead.......
i know its dirty lol have not got around to cleaning since we last shot it.

Sent from my DROIDX
what ammo are you using in the P22?

i have worked on a few of them and there are a few little mods you can do to make them better.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How do you like it? I am thinking of getting the same thing but in the compact version.
Mark, you CANNOT go wrong with an M&P from a quality standpoint. They're just simply great pistols. You just need to determine if it's comfortable for you to shoot or not.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That feed ramp should not cause issues with rounds feeding. Below is a picture of a "feed ramp" on a Saiga (AK type rifle). Look at how prominent that "feed ramp" is. Granted, it's hard to compare a centerfire rifle to a rimfire pistol, but you get the idea. I would probably just send it back to Walther to be worked on. There should be some kind of factory warranty, and you don't want to void that by trying to fix the issue yourself.

CJ89

Registered VIP
That feed ramp should not cause issues with rounds feeding. Below is a picture of a "feed ramp" on a Saiga (AK type rifle). Look at how prominent that "feed ramp" is. Granted, it's hard to compare a centerfire rifle to a rimfire pistol, but you get the idea. I would probably just send it back to Walther to be worked on. There should be some kind of factory warranty, and you don't want to void that by trying to fix the issue yourself.

I understand what you mean but you also have to think of the shape of that ak bullet. That alone will help it get past that gap. Only reason i say that the gap on mine is part of the problem is because i have seen the casing get lodged on it when the gun is trying to chamber a round. It mostly only happens on the first and last round in the mag. So it could also be a mixture of poor mag design as well. This is not just the wifes p22 that has this problem. Alot of p22 owners have the same issues with this gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oIZOyfDLc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROIDX

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
S&W MP15-22. They're nice guns, but mostly for show. I had one, then traded it. Then again, I go through guns like Gary goes through cars.

vtac_ej6

S&W MP15-22. They're nice guns, but mostly for show. I had one, then traded it. Then again, I go through guns like Gary goes through cars.
idk ive heard nothing but great things about this gun. so idk how its mostly for show. because its a .22?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

CJ89

Registered VIP
what ammo are you using in the P22?

i have worked on a few of them and there are a few little mods you can do to make them better.
Sorry i must have missed this. I use CCW for the .22 what mods did you have in mind?

Sent from my DROIDX

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry i must have missed this. I use CCW for the .22 what mods did you have in mind?

Sent from my DROIDX
try federal ammo. the wax on CCI clogs up many 22's.

i would have to have it in my hands to see what needed to be addressed, but typically re-shaping the feed ramp and polishing it does wonders... also, magazine modifications can help as well.

CJ89

Registered VIP
Yea CCI lol my bust. I have federal ammo for my Remington but figured since it was alot cheaper it would not work as well. I have also been told it is not as good as CCI as well. Where are you located?

Sent from my DROIDX

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea CCI lol my bust. I have federal ammo for my Remington but figured since it was alot cheaper it would not work as well. I have also been told it is not as good as CCI as well. Where are you located?

Sent from my DROIDX
CCI used to be great ammo... its gone downhill over the past two years.
federal is my favorite ammo company.

look under my avatar... lol. Florida man. i work at Kel-Tec as a firearm tech/ gunsmith.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mark, you CANNOT go wrong with an M&P from a quality standpoint. They're just simply great pistols. You just need to determine if it's comfortable for you to shoot or not.
Most definitely. And I want something that is comfortable to carry if I ever decide to

CJ89

Registered VIP
CCI used to be great ammo... its gone downhill over the past two years.
federal is my favorite ammo company.

look under my avatar... lol. Florida man. i work at Kel-Tec as a firearm tech/ gunsmith.
Im using tapa-talk on my phone lol it dont show avatars and stuff. Thars badass tho man! Id love to get into something like that but dont know the first thing on how to try to get into gun smithing. I do not think there is a school close to me that offers anything like that.

Sent from my DROIDX

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Try toating a m4 around for a year having it hardly ever leave your side. Be smart with your weapon. If you are going to pull it out on somebody go ahead and shoot.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most definitely. And I want something that is comfortable to carry if I ever decide to
the compact ones are quite nice! i want a compact one in 357sig with thumb safety and night sights :drool:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
idk ive heard nothing but great things about this gun. so idk how its mostly for show. because its a .22?
No, because it's a flashy .22. Don't get me wrong, it's a very great performing .22. But to me, a .22 is for plinking, and $450 on a gun just for plinking is too much for my blood.
I was actually deciding between a 1911 and an M&P45. A friend of mine, one that knows guns quite well, suggested that in case I ever have to carry, I wouldn't want to have that "plastic tumor" on my hip, I would want a real gun. There's a reason why the 1911 has not only been around, but also been in service for just over 100 years now. Don't get me wrong, other guns can be more practical. A standard size M&P will have a higher capacity, but I believe it's also wider. There's also some kind of inexplicable allure to a 1911. My SR9 is actually more practical...it's lighter, and has twice the capacity, but there's something about the 1911 that I like much more.
the compact ones are quite nice! i want a compact one in 357sig with thumb safety and night sights :drool:
I use an index finger safety on all my guns :twisted: