gsr cams in b16 head. worth it? gain?

JCrimson

www.jcrimson.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im wanting to know if anyone on here did this yet. and i want your input. i have a b16a (first gen) in my rex. most people tell me that gsr cams in it are great. about how much hp would one gain by doing this? more torque? i have no clue. and would tuning be needed? can i damage anything by doing this. any sugestions would be great.

i apologize for the spelling*

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends what kinda bolt ons.. you will gain some hp/tq but i doubt its going to be that noticeable.
if you dont already have them or if you dont get them cheap i wouldn't really do it..

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The gains are so that you will get 6 whp if you have some bolt ons and nick nacks. At least that is what Jim at motorvations told someone when I was down there. Pretty sure he's right b/c he works on hondas all day. One of Jackson racings authorized installers 1/20 to be about exact nation wide. So if you're anywhere near b'ham and need anything that is honda, that is where the many 450 whp b's lurk and he's working a 600 hp turbo h22 setup right now. Also a registered hondata tuner. People come nationwide with their cars to get them to be worked on by him. Several cars he has done have been in magazines like Team Dang which is a JDM club from birmingham and a couple of them I know. Also the turbo h22 ek hatch that he is doing, I painted the valve cover pastel purple and the car already has several magazine articles booked so if you see a pastel purple valve cover on a turbo h22 hatch, be verrry afraid. and think of me.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id do if if you can get them for the right price.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I got some laying around that I took out of my gsr head. I have Crower stage 2's for it right now.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you will see the best gains with Forced Induction. n/a its nothing too special, but ive seen gains of about 40hp on turbo setups

EF Honda EF

i put gsr cams in my b16a. i had a skunk2 intake manifold, edlebrock throttle body, and intake. no header, open exhaust and a tune on crome. i made 155 whp and 113 lbs. tq. it hit vtec real hard. it is easy to put in and bolts right in. make sure you get the removel pattern and torque specs. i think the cam cap bolts are 13ft lbs. but you will need the tighten pattern. good luck hope this helps

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i put gsr cams in my b16a. i had a skunk2 intake manifold, edlebrock throttle body, and intake. no header, open exhaust and a tune on crome. i made 155 whp and 113 lbs. tq. it hit vtec real hard. it is easy to put in and bolts right in. make sure you get the removel pattern and torque specs. i think the cam cap bolts are 13ft lbs. but you will need the tighten pattern. good luck hope this helps
it definately helped this guy out. if u plan on boosting, then GSR cams is definately worth something. JDM GSR cams, btw. not USDM.

Slowens

Banned
Does anyone bother to look at the cam durations @ .50 or is just putting random OEM cams in the new rage?

The lashes and height, will be fine in a OEM head, granted it's a vtec head... I've seen people try to stuff vtec cams in a LS, one word for that, well other then fail, is funny.

Yea it's a step up, not worth doing IMO. Only OEM cams worth using are CTRs if you are running a mild build.

What cams you use are a MAJOR and I stress that major part of a motor build. What are you using the car for? Any road racing class rules you must follow? What about smog? How do you want your power band?

Really just asking can it fit is foolish.Yes it can, heck it's a nice up maybe 5whp and great band still but is that what you want? I've ran a gsr tuned on crome on gsrs, a ctr cam setup gained good power and kept the power band, but for my client was let down.

So really just think what you need the motor for, I'd not pay more then $50 a set of GSR cams and that's ONLY if I needed cams. Most any other set will do you better then a set of GSRs, depending on goals and rules.

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it definately helped this guy out. if u plan on boosting, then GSR cams is definately worth something. JDM GSR cams, btw. not USDM.
Whats the difference between USDM and JDM??? Im throwing some on my turbo setup just cause im getting them for free

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
USDM= Unites States Domestic Market

JDM- Japanese Domestic Market

:wstupid:

OK, let me re-phrase for the people under the influence of the wacky tobbaci. What is the mechanical difference between the usdm and jdm gsr cams? Like does one have more lift or something?? What makes them different from each other.